Dan Wesson Model 15 vs. Ruger GP-100? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Dan Wesson Model 15 vs. Ruger GP-100?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

My Dan Wesson is a 744 in .44 mag. I got it with an 8” heavy barrel for silhouette competition. It worked well for me. The interchangeable barrels was handy because I changed the barrel annually after only about 1000 rds. to maintain maximum accuracy. The design is strong, but has a bunch of little parts that make it a bit of a pain in the a$$ to take completely apart. After I stopped shooting silhouette, I eventually put a light 6” barrel on it. I then found that the chamber throats were excessively tight and reamed the throats to even things up. It is the most accurate .44 I have, but I actually prefer the design of the Redhawk and Super Redhawk to the DW.

I have never fired the .357 DW, but my GP100s are both very accurate and I doubt the DW is capable of more accuracy, and since I don’t think I need an 8” or 10” .357, I won’t be considering the DW to replace or supplement my GP100s and S&W 627s.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my father has one of the older DW 15-2 models, 1981 vintage, has the 8" barrel, we have shot this pistol many times over the years. as far as accurate, it will hit what you aim it at. my father has had several DW pistols over the years and as far as revolvers, he just wouldn't consider any other brand. as dad is almost 70 now, doesn't shoot near as much as he use to, this one will probably be last one in his collection. the last gun he bought was a few years ago a S & W 9mm for CCW. i have tried over the years to introduce him to other revolvers, S & W, Ruger, Colt, ect., but he still thinks the DW is the one to have! i would buy one if it became available at the right price.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Original poster said, "What could i do with a DW model 15 "pistol pack" that i couldn't do with my Ruger GP100, 6" barrel?" The answer is probably nothing. The reason I bought a Dan Wesson is because I didn't have one. The reason I have 15 DWs is becasue I only had 14 at the time. I am a DW horder, accumulator, collector, call it what ever you want. I have a DW that was one of the first made in the early '70s and it's like new with a serial number of 70. It may be the cool factor, I'm not sure. Or better still, I may be a gun nut. I'm in the market for number 16. I only need one more. BTW, I also have others made by various mfg in different calibers. Some people need one gun, I need one more.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #14

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

orangello How much is the pistol pack? It is nice if going camping or trail walking to swap to a short barrel. And for practical accuracy the sights will need no adjust between barrel swaps if you keeps notes on how they shoot. The DW 15 series is only out shot buy freedom arms ,sometimes and can handle hot loads with no real long term worry. Mine was used for hunting with a red dot and 8" barrel for 20 year. Still as accurate 35 years later as it was when new. Also grips on a DW mount on a post so custom grips can be made for the pickiest of people. Very nice triggers stock but with a wolff hammer spring added mine has a SA pull of 2lbs. There larger frame revolvers are even better and stronger. Check out EWKarms for a small compny that builds many upgrade parts for DW revolvers also. And CZ still makes parts that fit in the old model and new one comeing out. Barels were made up to 15" for long distance matchs

Old 02-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #15

the DW pistols are great pistols and one of the first magnums i ever shot when i was younger as my father always seem to have one or two. he absolutely adores them. i don't know how many he has had over the years, but i do remember one he had and it was the pistol pac. seems like it had three or four barrels, a couple of different grips and some other parts with it.

seems either people love them or hate them, but they do have a loyal following of admirers.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The factory standard for accuracy of Dan Wesson revolvers used to be 1" at 100 yards. The only quality issues were the Norwich factory guns and that was due more to fit and finish than accuracy. The sale of Dan Wesson to CZ was for the name and yet another 1911 clone, not for the revolvers; as evidenced by CZ almost immediately letting the revolvers die.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
The factory standard for accuracy of Dan Wesson revolvers used to be 1" at 100 yards. The only quality issues were the Norwich factory guns and that was due more to fit and finish than accuracy. The sale of Dan Wesson to CZ was for the name and yet another 1911 clone, not for the revolvers; as evidenced by CZ almost immediately letting the revolvers die.
they just recently started making the revolvers again. of course they aren't the same ones as years ago, but they are similar. the old DW revolvers are in a class by themselves, just like the old Colt revolvers. even if Colt brought back their revolvers, they still wouldn't the same as the old ones, just like Smith & Wesson, the old S & W revolvers were in a class of their own, that the new ones just aren't the same.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The model 715 is back to the tune of $1,100+ but are being bought as soon as they hit the gunshops.

http://www.czub.cz/en/news/press-releases/259-press-release-cz-usa-dan-wesson-715-revolver.aspx

Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #19

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It will be a couple years before the new DW becomes common enought to get one for most folks. My old 15-2 would fire 6 rounds inside a 3' at 100 yards useing a red dot with a 4: dot shooting at a 6" black circle. 35 year later it will stil do that. it has somewhere north of 20.000 rounds fired. 8000 of those were a 180gr load. Gus still tight even still look good. The new ones are built on new all new macnines building revolvers that will have parts that will change with the old ones. Should be a good gun , Its just the 1100 dollars!!!

Old 12-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #20

I have an unfired Dan Wesson .357 magnum pistol pac, bought as an investment and it is truly a beauty. I also have two Model 15’s and enjoy gapping the barrel and otherwise tuning them – which is remarkably easy compared to other revolvers. I also have a Colt Python 6” and a Model 27 6”, and for conversation a Model 29 8.7/8” too. None of these guns are as robust at Dan Wesson’s.

I had an Israeli +P+ 38 Special round rupture in my Dan Wesson, which kept working without a hiccup. We figure it was a double load or at least an overload, given the “bang” and splintering of the case. Dan Wesson’s were built like tanks...pretty much like high end Ruger’s are today. One difference is the ease of maintenance and repair.

The DW’s were engineered so that you didn’t need to go to a gunsmith to affect most maintenance and repairs. Built to be simple, rugged, easy to maintain and accurate. The last part due to tension exerted on the barrel/shroud nut and the cylinder lock at the forcing cone.

Revolvers are machines. And like all other machines, revolvers, to use a technical term, “go out of whack” sooner or later. If you never remove the barrel from the DW and never check the gap, you’re eventually going to see degradation in performance. But same goes for the Ruger.

The DW guns made in Monson, Ma. are top notch. Some variation in quality has been seen in DWs from other locations. The guns are good to shoot, but lack some of the finer “touches” or refinements indicative of Monson guns.