Dan Wesson Model 15 vs. Ruger GP-100?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Dan Wesson Model 15 vs. Ruger GP-100?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default Dan Wesson Model 15 vs. Ruger GP-100?

What could i do with a DW model 15 "pistol pack" that i couldn't do with my Ruger GP100, 6" barrel? I see people selling these DW 15's and the "pistol packs" come up for sale on gunbroker and such, and i wonder how i could justify buying one when i already have a .357 that i really enjoy shooting.

I know i could change barrels, but i don't plan on using it for carry and don't know how much of an advantage an extra 2" of barrel would be for non-competitive target use. Is the DW 15 able to handle hotter loads than the GP100? Is the DW 15 naturally more accurate than the GP100? As somebody who will be using the revolver only for target shooting and maaaaybe some thick brush area hunting, is there an advantage to the multi-barreled Dan Wesson .357 as opposed to my 6" GP100???

OK, obviously, there is the cool factor of having different configurations/options for my revolver.

Lil hep from teh geezers please. Rationalizations welcome!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
What could i do with a DW model 15 "pistol pack" that i couldn't do with my Ruger GP100, 6" barrel? I see people selling these DW 15's and the "pistol packs" come up for sale on gunbroker and such, and i wonder how i could justify buying one when i already have a .357 that i really enjoy shooting.

Rationalizations welcome!
Because you can't have too many .357's.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is only hearsay, and therefore not admissible in court: my brother-in-law had a Dan Wesson and hated it from the beginning. Don't know why (something about poor accuracy), but I will ask him next time I see him.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by regload View Post
This is only hearsay, and therefore not admissible in court: my brother-in-law had a Dan Wesson and hated it from the beginning. Don't know why (something about poor accuracy), but I will ask him next time I see him.
I really would NOT take that remark to court

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6024 Times on 3156 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

I know i could change barrels, but i don't plan on using it for carry and don't know how much of an advantage an extra 2" of barrel would be for non-competitive target use. Is the DW 15 able to handle hotter loads than the GP100? Is the DW 15 naturally more accurate than the GP100? As somebody who will be using the revolver only for target shooting and maaaaybe some thick brush area hunting, is there an advantage to the multi-barreled Dan Wesson .357 as opposed to my 6" GP100???

OK, obviously, there is the cool factor of having different configurations/options for my revolver.

Lil hep from teh geezers please. Rationalizations welcome!
purpose of longer barrels is to squeeze more velocity out of a given load. it also increases the sight radius. the more distance between front and rear sights the more accurate the shooter can be. note however that barrel length has little to do with inherent accuracy.

another bonus is weight. heavier guns have less felt recoil.

longer barrels also have less muzzle blast.

those are the benefits i can think of off hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I really would NOT take that remark to court
depends on when it was made. there were a couple of years that dw was not very good in production quality. kinda why they were going out of business and eventually ended up being bought by CZ.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #6

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Subscribing to the thread...Looked HARD at the DW before I landed on the GP...interested to see what opinions are...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

I'm pretty sure that the 8" barrel on mine is the only one that has been on mine for the last 30 years. My Dad bought it new in 1981, we played with the different barrels far a few weeks. Then the scope went on the 8" for silhouettes. AFAIK, it's been in that configuration ever since. In theory, interchangeable barrels are cool. But I cant help but wonder if most people just get it the way they want it and leave it alone.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you take a look at a listing of silhouette competition winners, you will find high numbers of DW shooters in the top slots. For some reason, the DWs have been VERY accurate despite having the interchangeable barrels. They are built like tanks. Quite simply, they are built to withstand a lot of abuse and remain accurate.

I tend to agree with Overkill about finding a configuration you like and then sticking to it. I have had my DW for about 18 yrs now (got it with 2.5" and 6" barrels) and have had the 6" barrel on it for all but MAYBE 2 or 3 days of that time. If I were to use it for EDC, I would be switching the barrels a little more often, but I don't carry it except when hunting.

I would take another DW over a GP100 any day of the week without hesitation. I have been looking for a good deal on one in the .41mag or .44mag for a little more variety in my handguns.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #9

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

As others have said, Dan Wesson accuracy and quality will trump Ruger's any day of the week in my opinion. As for the Pistol Pack, I think the main demand for them is rarity and value. Complete sets are closely following the price trend of Pythons. It's not so much for function as it is for value. How many Ruger revolvers were made compared to how many DW Pistol Packs? Now that the Pistol Packs are out of production, their value will continue to increase.

I could be wrong, but I don't think people are paying the premium because of the versatility.

Last edited by Olympus; 02-22-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the 8" barrel on mine is the only one that has been on mine for the last 30 years. My Dad bought it new in 1981, we played with the different barrels far a few weeks. Then the scope went on the 8" for silhouettes. AFAIK, it's been in that configuration ever since. In theory, interchangeable barrels are cool. But I cant help but wonder if most people just get it the way they want it and leave it alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
... It's not so much for function as it is for value. How many Ruger revolvers were made compared to how many DW Pistol Packs? Now that the Pistol Packs are out of production, their value will continue to increase.

I could be wrong, but I don't think people are paying the premium because of the versatility.
That is what concerned me. I'm no long-range competitive target shooter.

I will skip the pistol pack and just keep an eye out for a deal on DW with the one barrel i would actually use.

Thanks guys.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.