Dan Wesson 357 vs Ruger Toklak 454
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Dan Wesson 357 vs Ruger Toklak 454

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Dan Wesson 357 vs Ruger Toklak 454

So a friend recently offered to sell me his limited edition Ruger, one of 500. The price is reasonable, but I had intentions of getting another revolver, namely the Dan Wesson. Both will be used as trail guns, with the 357 being loaded with backpacker rounds (hot loaded 200 grains). The issue I have is once I leave bear country, I won't have much use for 454 Casull, and the Dan Wesson is versatile in it's interchangeable barrels, so it still be reasonably used as a self defense gun. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I would hold out for the Dan Wesson.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

how big is the ruger?? what exactly is it??

you can download the 454casull chambering by using 45 colt rounds.

i think 357 is way too light a caliber for bear. minimum handgun round i would feel comfy with is a 44magnum for bears.

im not a fan of dan wesson guns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2014, 03:25 AM   #4

It's a limited Ruger Super Redhawk called Toklat. Looks wise, it's a fair competition between glock and it on the ugly contest. There have been plenty of people who've told me that the backpacker rounds are plenty sufficient for most of what you'll find up here. He's letting me take it for a spin next week, but I'm not really convinced.

1399260114708.jpg  

Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

I've had some issues with Dan Wesson revolvers...and naturally gravitate toward Ruger based on product quality and ergonomics. Just my 2c.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

My thoughts if it means anything to you: I have a Dan Wesson 41 with 4 Barrels(5,6,10 & 12") and two Grips. 357 is a bit light for most bears, as prior commented. But I'm sure 454 Casull's) are much more expensive. Once many years ago a friend of the Family took out a bear with a 6" 357. It took all of the first 6 to get him down, but still alive and screaming. It took 2 more to the head to finish it. He had no choice as the bear saw the blind and heard their noise and Charged. Had he still been up, his hunting Buddy, one of my Uncles, had a 5 Rd semi auto 12Ga.
I defer to Vikingdad as he is the only one I know well who knows and has a 454.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
My thoughts if it means anything to you: I have a Dan Wesson 41 with 4 Barrels(5,6,10 & 12") and two Grips. 357 is a bit light for most bears, as prior commented. But I'm sure 454 Casull's) are much more expensive. Once many years ago a friend of the Family took out a bear with a 6" 357. It took all of the first 6 to get him down, but still alive and screaming. It took 2 more to the head to finish it. He had no choice as the bear saw the blind and heard their noise and Charged. Had he still been up, his hunting Buddy, one of my Uncles, had a 5 Rd semi auto 12Ga.
I defer to Vikingdad as he is the only one I know well who knows and has a 454.

Edit: WVB? That's like only a 4 or 4.2" right? Don't you want at least 6" against a north am. Bear? I hate them almost as much as Gello,..but I hate snakes and killer Bugs worse.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #8

What issues have been had with Dan Wesson? I've never heard of any.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeVagabomd View Post
What issues have been had with Dan Wesson? I've never heard of any.
From the reports ive seen its usually cylinder timing and barrel looseness.

I think they are weak parts wise and not terribly user friendly in a repair it yourself sense.

An acquantance of mine has one and its constantly having something break on it

I like ruger revolvers for their rugged simplicity. If you want a good backpack gun get a ruger super redhawk alaskan in 454.

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/models.html

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #10

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Buy the dan wesson 357 and get a real bear stopper 12ga slug gun for grizzly. With the likes of EWKarms for barrels and parts and LB Customs for some cool grips the DW is far more universal. Damd that chopped ruger srh toklat is ugly and still heavy.

I have 4 DW revolver and never had an issue with them since 1976.