Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Dan Wesson 357 vs Ruger Toklak 454 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/dan-wesson-357-vs-ruger-toklak-454-a-106759/)

WannaBeVagabomd 05-05-2014 01:35 AM

Dan Wesson 357 vs Ruger Toklak 454

So a friend recently offered to sell me his limited edition Ruger, one of 500. The price is reasonable, but I had intentions of getting another revolver, namely the Dan Wesson. Both will be used as trail guns, with the 357 being loaded with backpacker rounds (hot loaded 200 grains). The issue I have is once I leave bear country, I won't have much use for 454 Casull, and the Dan Wesson is versatile in it's interchangeable barrels, so it still be reasonably used as a self defense gun. Any thoughts?

aandabooks 05-05-2014 02:40 AM

I would hold out for the Dan Wesson.

JonM 05-05-2014 02:41 AM

how big is the ruger?? what exactly is it??

you can download the 454casull chambering by using 45 colt rounds.

i think 357 is way too light a caliber for bear. minimum handgun round i would feel comfy with is a 44magnum for bears.

im not a fan of dan wesson guns.

WannaBeVagabomd 05-05-2014 03:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a limited Ruger Super Redhawk called Toklat. Looks wise, it's a fair competition between glock and it on the ugly contest. There have been plenty of people who've told me that the backpacker rounds are plenty sufficient for most of what you'll find up here. He's letting me take it for a spin next week, but I'm not really convinced.

7point62 05-05-2014 10:48 AM

I've had some issues with Dan Wesson revolvers...and naturally gravitate toward Ruger based on product quality and ergonomics. Just my 2c.

DrFootball 05-05-2014 11:37 AM

My thoughts if it means anything to you: I have a Dan Wesson 41 with 4 Barrels(5,6,10 & 12") and two Grips. 357 is a bit light for most bears, as prior commented. But I'm sure 454 Casull's) are much more expensive. Once many years ago a friend of the Family took out a bear with a 6" 357. It took all of the first 6 to get him down, but still alive and screaming. It took 2 more to the head to finish it. He had no choice as the bear saw the blind and heard their noise and Charged. Had he still been up, his hunting Buddy, one of my Uncles, had a 5 Rd semi auto 12Ga.
I defer to Vikingdad as he is the only one I know well who knows and has a 454.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

DrFootball 05-05-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball (Post 1570463)
My thoughts if it means anything to you: I have a Dan Wesson 41 with 4 Barrels(5,6,10 & 12") and two Grips. 357 is a bit light for most bears, as prior commented. But I'm sure 454 Casull's) are much more expensive. Once many years ago a friend of the Family took out a bear with a 6" 357. It took all of the first 6 to get him down, but still alive and screaming. It took 2 more to the head to finish it. He had no choice as the bear saw the blind and heard their noise and Charged. Had he still been up, his hunting Buddy, one of my Uncles, had a 5 Rd semi auto 12Ga.
I defer to Vikingdad as he is the only one I know well who knows and has a 454.

Edit: WVB? That's like only a 4 or 4.2" right? Don't you want at least 6" against a north am. Bear? I hate them almost as much as Gello,..but I hate snakes and killer Bugs worse.

WannaBeVagabomd 05-05-2014 01:02 PM

What issues have been had with Dan Wesson? I've never heard of any.

JonM 05-05-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeVagabomd (Post 1570504)
What issues have been had with Dan Wesson? I've never heard of any.

From the reports ive seen its usually cylinder timing and barrel looseness.

I think they are weak parts wise and not terribly user friendly in a repair it yourself sense.

An acquantance of mine has one and its constantly having something break on it

I like ruger revolvers for their rugged simplicity. If you want a good backpack gun get a ruger super redhawk alaskan in 454.

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/models.html

hardluk1 05-05-2014 06:34 PM

Buy the dan wesson 357 and get a real bear stopper 12ga slug gun for grizzly. With the likes of EWKarms for barrels and parts and LB Customs for some cool grips the DW is far more universal. Damd that chopped ruger srh toklat is ugly and still heavy.

I have 4 DW revolver and never had an issue with them since 1976.