Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Dan Wesson 357 mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dan Wesson 357 mag

I am looking for information on a dan wesson model 15 357 mag that was made in Monson Mass. It is stainless with a black hammer and trigger. Everywhere I read says that if it is a model 15 then it is blue metal but this is stainless.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2008, 12:24 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

First of all, it's a good thing it's a Monson gun as they're better quality than the later Palmer made guns. DWs aren't necessarily known by model numbers, rather by frame size & caliber. DWs are "notorious" for being tweaked so I expect it may have an aftermarket hammer/trigger. From what I understand, the serial # records of Monson DWs was "lost" when the company first went under so it's tough to find specific data on a particular piece. CZ-USA now owns the DW label and continues to provide parts for the older guns. I just ordered a 2 1/2 barrel & shroud for one of mine at $118 shipped from the factory...

BTW I live in Marietta, welcome...

Old 02-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #3

Thanks a lot for the info. I called CZ and just as you said she did not know anything about this model. She said that I could send them a pic and she would look into it.
I will put up a picture and maybe that would be helpful. The barrel is 3 in and the frame is 4 1/2 x 4 not including the grip.
BTW I live in Snellville

Old 02-05-2008, 01:26 AM   #4

Hi Luger89, the stainless .357 is a model #715. The "7" denotes stainless, but the model numbers weren't stamped on the gun. I don't know why you have a blue hammer and trigger, but I suspect NGIB is correct and yours has been modified by a previous owner. NGIB is also correct about the Monson production guns being better made than the later Palmer guns. I have an unaltered Monson #715 that I've owned since the mid 80's. It wasn't originally part of a "Pistol Pack" and came with the 6" VH Shroud, but I've acquired the 2" VH, 4" V and 8" VH barrels and shrouds over the years. Prior to that, I owned a regular blued model #15, which I liked a lot, but hated cleaning, so I traded it in for the stainless model.
There was also a model #14 which was Blued in .38 Special only, I believe the frame height was the same size as the #15 with a slightly shorter frame window for the shorter .38 cylinder. They also made a smaller frame for .22 and a much larger frame (#44 and #744) which was chambered for .44 Mag. There were also a few made in .445 Supermag and .357 Maximum.
These are pretty stout guns and the unique barrel attachment system made them inherently very accurate. Even though they dominated silhouette matches for years, they didn't prove very popular with the average Joe and never acheived the sales success they deserved.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #5

Here is a picture of the gun as well as the engraving. What add'l barrels do you suggest that I buy. This one measures a little over 3 in. Is it considered a 3 or 4?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger89 View Post
Here is a picture of the gun as well as the engraving. What add'l barrels do you suggest that I buy. This one measures a little over 3 in. Is it considered a 3 or 4?
Those photos won't enlarge for me but it looks like a 4". The barrel measurment is taken from the front of the cylinder to the end of the tube, not from the front of the frame. What size barrel do you want? They made them in 2", 4", 6", 8", 10", 12" and 15". Do you have the barrel tool and .006" feeler blade for setting the cylinder gap?

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #7

Default Looking for a DW gunsmith

My first "real" handgun was a DW 357 purchased in the early/mid 70s (if I am remembering correctly). It has long past been sold in lieu of children, but since there departure into their own lives, I have again started a small collection of firearms, among them a dozen DW 357s and four 44 mags. The only problem this presents, is finding a good gunsmith to perform some "tuning." Mag-na-port will perform any porting if desired, but does not do any trigger work. I found a guy in VA that will do hot bluing, but have been able to find anyone do replace the springs, crunch, grind and clean up the action.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good gunsmith ANYWHERE? I don't mind paying shipping if the work is good.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #8

About 3 or 4 years ago I was looking over my DW 14-2 and noticed that the spring that hold the cylinder detent was a little weak. I called DW and the guy that answered the phone said he would send me one for free. He sent two. My guess is that if you need any parts, just call DW. I'm sure they're willing to help.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't shot a DW in years, so I can't speak for the newer ones.

However, the old ones from before 1980 were some of the finest revolvers you'd ever want to shoot.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #10

I agree... I've had a DW 744VH with 8" bbl since the 80's, bought it new. H-E-A-V-Y, but what a shooter. It's the best accuracy I've ever found in a handgun. It favors heavier bullets (240 gr factory, but even heavier with appropriate handloads), hates 180 gr factory loads, but I've been good with handloads with lighter bullets if I back off the charts a little bit so's they don't spit out like hellfire. Even though it doesn't prefer the lighter loads, it'll still send 'em down range better than ahything else I've shot. Anyhow, sorry to get off topic... That DW is one gun I'll never sell. I paid under retail back then - $584, IIRC - and I've been offered $750 for it. It been shot a lot, but still looks new. Last year, I had to get my guns appraised for insurance, they picked the appraiser (also happened to be the guy running the pistol permit dep't at the County back then), he rated it at 98%. I asked why 98 and not 95 or something else, he said "It's used. Can't give it 100%. Otherwise I would!"

BTW, Zappa, thank you for the other thread with the DW history link.

- Tim C.

Last edited by TMCXJ; 02-19-2008 at 10:07 PM.