Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   cylinder repair (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/cylinder-repair-72440/)

Reaper61 09-15-2012 12:01 AM

cylinder repair

My Mother-in-law gave me an old S&W .38spl. However the cylinder barely rotates, how do I fix this. Thanks in advance for any advice.

mountainman13 09-15-2012 12:54 AM

I'm guessing it's the hand. We're gonna need pics.

trip286 09-15-2012 01:29 AM

Pull the hammer halfway and spin the cylinder. If it spins without resistance, the cylinder itself is fine. If not, gunsmith.

Now, letting the hammer down, cock it fully. If the hammer cock rotates the cylinder, your hand is "functional". Meaning it works, but due to age, it likely needs replacing anyway. Gunsmith.

Does the hammer come back, but only under EXTREMELY stiff trigger pull? Pop the side plate off, clean thoroughly. If that don't work, gunsmith.

If the trigger pulls, but the hammer doesn't come back, something's broken. Get thee to a Smith.

Sorry. I don't know how much you know about Smith and Wesson revolvers, so I recommend a Smith. However, Larry Potterfield of midway USA has a full YouTube series of how-to gunsmithing videos on Smith and Wesson revolvers. There isn't much you CAN'T learn from them. The Smith and Wesson revolver is pretty simple to work on, so if your brave and mechanically inclined, you should have no problem at all.

Give us some detailed close ups, and browse his videos, between us all, we should be able to get it worked out in no time at all.

Hey, a video of exactly what it's doing could be really helpful too.

c3shooter 09-15-2012 02:15 AM

Guys about covered it. Would clean with some gunscrubber spray, light lube, make sure ejector rod is tight (left hand thread). If that does not fix it, likely either the hand or the star of the rear face of the cylinder is worn and needs replacement.

CA357 09-15-2012 02:23 AM

It's obviously old, worn out and dangerous. Just send it to me to be on the safe side.

;)

robocop10mm 09-15-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 941278)
Guys about covered it. Would clean with some gunscrubber spray, light lube, make sure ejector rod is tight (left hand thread). If that does not fix it, likely either the hand or the star of the rear face of the cylinder is worn and needs replacement.

Left hand thread asuming it is a three screw. 5 screw guns were right handed threads. Don't get me to lying about the 4 screw versions.

c3shooter 09-15-2012 11:45 AM

4 screw is when you lost one from a 5 screw, right? :p

Reaper61 09-15-2012 06:09 PM

It takes some serious trigger pull to get the cylinder to rotate. So I opened the cylinder and rotated it with my hand and it was super tight. To top it off on closer inspection the firing pin on the hammer is slightly bent and really loose...this might have to go to the LGS

trip286 09-15-2012 06:53 PM

Chill with the firing pin for just a moment...

A mounted firing pin is GOING to look bent on a Smith and Wesson, it's the way they're designed. Looking bent upwards is normal. If it's bent down or to either side, then you have a problem.

Also, they flex. They're spring loaded. If you can very easily flex it upwards, and it returns to a downward motion easily upon release, that's normal too. Some exceedingly small side to side wobble is also functionally ok. If it shakes and wobbles freely when moving the gun, then you can worry. Just a broken spring, and it probably won't even affect the function.

You say the cylinder is hard to turn by hand when the cylinder is released? Could be dirt, other debris, or even rust. Remove the front lower screw on the right side of the frame, remove the cylinder, yoke and all, unscrew the ejector rod, inspect, clean, and reassemble. Look above at the direction to unscrew the rod based on the number of screws in the side of your frame.

trip286 09-15-2012 06:55 PM

Also, PICS! Help us help you brother.