Customize an Anaconda?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Customize an Anaconda?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Customize an Anaconda?

I want to eventually get a short barreled 44 mag. Either a Ruger Alaskan or one of the 2"-3" S&W. But there is something in me that wants a Colt. So, would you be willing to buy an out of production, highly desired Colt Anacondas to have it chopped and customized? Shortened to 2.5"-3" barrel. I would send it to Colt to have the beautiful Royal Blue finish applied, then matched with the best looking grips I could find.

Do you think this would take away from the beauty of this revolver?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #2

Just found this on Mag-na-port

Quote:
Our Newest Conversion. . . The Mini Anaconda

Mag-Na-Port's newest snubnose is built using a factory six or eight inch Colt Anaconda. This conversion includes; cutting the barrel to 2 ¾", inverting the muzzle crown, remounting the front sight blade, the Mag-Na-Port process, removing factory lettering, apply custom logos, general smoothup, recut the forcing cone, and a velvet hone finish . . $575.00 Double Dent Lockip option $55.00.
If I could find one for a decent price, this is what I might do. If I find a blued one, it would get the Royal Blue finish. If stainless, I would have to say that mag-na-port's "velvet hone finish" is very attractive.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Jay

Likes Given: 1

It's been my experience that any guns that have been customized may not retain their value, unless you can find a buyer that wants that same custom job. It's obviously an individual choice, but being an old fart, I feel that chopping on an Anaconda is like putting a lift kit on a Ferrari..... no offense intended, sir.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 08-16-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
I want to eventually get a short barreled 44 mag. Either a Ruger Alaskan or one of the 2"-3" S&W. But there is something in me that wants a Colt. So, would you be willing to buy an out of production, highly desired Colt Anacondas to have it chopped and customized? Shortened to 2.5"-3" barrel. I would send it to Colt to have the beautiful Royal Blue finish applied, then matched with the best looking grips I could find.

Do you think this would take away from the beauty of this revolver?
Nope actually it'll probably be a very nice looking gun (I don't personally care for Magna porting but that is just my opinion). As far as I know Anacondas were only made in Stainless. If a 2.5-3" gun is what you want and you don't mind pouring money into something that will destroy the collector value and desirability of the gun then by all means make yourself happy. I'm not trying to stop you. Just making sure you go into it with your eyes wide open. I personally have done some unpopular things to guns just because it's what I wanted. Your gun, your choices.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5995 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

They only come in stainless the sole reason i never got one.

Used to have a magnaported colt series 70 i bought used used years ago very unpleasent to shoot. Cant imagine that level of nastiness in a 44magnum. I didnt like the increased percieved noise level.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
They only come in stainless the sole reason i never got one.
Used to have a magnaported colt series 70 i bought used used years ago very unpleasent to shoot. Cant imagine that level of nastiness in a 44magnum. I didnt like the increased percieved noise level.
I saw that after looking a bit. Then I came across this: Colt Anaconda .44 Magnum Revolves Reviewed | Gun Reviews

Quote:
A production feature unique to Anacondoa is the fact that Colt only produced the revovlers in either satin or high-polished stainless steel. No blued finish variant was ever made from the initial production run in 1990 to it’s official cancelation in 1999. The company did continue to produce Anaconda revolver in their custom shop until 2003 however and it is possible that some of these guns could have received a blued finish made-to-order

Old 08-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5995 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

I wishi had ofknown thatback then i would have had one blued by colt.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Purely conjecture. To make a carbon steel revolver from the ground up would have been an insanely expensive propositition. With the major components forged in bulk, to have 1 or even 100 made of carbon steel would have added 10X to the price. There are some successful processes to blacken stainless steel, but I would bet against a blued, carbin steel version

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-17-2011, 06:23 AM   #9

I emailed Mag-na-port for some pics since they didnt have any on the website. She said she sent me an article on the Mini Anaconda that was in Guns Magazine from July 1994, I didnt get the article. But anyway, here are the pics.

mini-anaconda.jpg   mini-anaconda.1.jpg   mini-anaconda.2.jpg   skeltonized-trigger-guard.jpg  

Old 08-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #10

I would change the frontsite, cuz I ain't packin pink. And I would go without skeletonizing the trigger guard. Other than that, that is one beautiful wheelgun.