Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Customize an Anaconda? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/customize-anaconda-46913/)

michigan0626 08-16-2011 07:32 AM

Customize an Anaconda?

I want to eventually get a short barreled 44 mag. Either a Ruger Alaskan or one of the 2"-3" S&W. But there is something in me that wants a Colt. So, would you be willing to buy an out of production, highly desired Colt Anacondas to have it chopped and customized? Shortened to 2.5"-3" barrel. I would send it to Colt to have the beautiful Royal Blue finish applied, then matched with the best looking grips I could find.

Do you think this would take away from the beauty of this revolver?

michigan0626 08-16-2011 07:52 AM

Just found this on Mag-na-port

Quote:

Our Newest Conversion. . . The Mini Anaconda

Mag-Na-Port's newest snubnose is built using a factory six or eight inch Colt Anaconda. This conversion includes; cutting the barrel to 2 ĺ", inverting the muzzle crown, remounting the front sight blade, the Mag-Na-Port process, removing factory lettering, apply custom logos, general smoothup, recut the forcing cone, and a velvet hone finish . . $575.00 Double Dent Lockip option $55.00.
If I could find one for a decent price, this is what I might do. If I find a blued one, it would get the Royal Blue finish. If stainless, I would have to say that mag-na-port's "velvet hone finish" is very attractive.

Jay 08-16-2011 10:17 AM

It's been my experience that any guns that have been customized may not retain their value, unless you can find a buyer that wants that same custom job. It's obviously an individual choice, but being an old fart, I feel that chopping on an Anaconda is like putting a lift kit on a Ferrari..... no offense intended, sir.

Wambli 08-16-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michigan0626 (Post 563936)
I want to eventually get a short barreled 44 mag. Either a Ruger Alaskan or one of the 2"-3" S&W. But there is something in me that wants a Colt. So, would you be willing to buy an out of production, highly desired Colt Anacondas to have it chopped and customized? Shortened to 2.5"-3" barrel. I would send it to Colt to have the beautiful Royal Blue finish applied, then matched with the best looking grips I could find.

Do you think this would take away from the beauty of this revolver?

Nope actually it'll probably be a very nice looking gun (I don't personally care for Magna porting but that is just my opinion). As far as I know Anacondas were only made in Stainless. If a 2.5-3" gun is what you want and you don't mind pouring money into something that will destroy the collector value and desirability of the gun then by all means make yourself happy. I'm not trying to stop you. Just making sure you go into it with your eyes wide open. I personally have done some unpopular things to guns just because it's what I wanted. Your gun, your choices.

JonM 08-16-2011 12:45 PM

They only come in stainless the sole reason i never got one.

Used to have a magnaported colt series 70 i bought used used years ago very unpleasent to shoot. Cant imagine that level of nastiness in a 44magnum. I didnt like the increased percieved noise level.

michigan0626 08-16-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 563973)
They only come in stainless the sole reason i never got one.
Used to have a magnaported colt series 70 i bought used used years ago very unpleasent to shoot. Cant imagine that level of nastiness in a 44magnum. I didnt like the increased percieved noise level.

I saw that after looking a bit. Then I came across this: Colt Anaconda .44 Magnum Revolves Reviewed | Gun Reviews

Quote:

A production feature unique to Anacondoa is the fact that Colt only produced the revovlers in either satin or high-polished stainless steel. No blued finish variant was ever made from the initial production run in 1990 to itís official cancelation in 1999. The company did continue to produce Anaconda revolver in their custom shop until 2003 however and it is possible that some of these guns could have received a blued finish made-to-order

JonM 08-16-2011 01:32 PM

I wishi had ofknown thatback then i would have had one blued by colt.

robocop10mm 08-16-2011 07:06 PM

Purely conjecture. To make a carbon steel revolver from the ground up would have been an insanely expensive propositition. With the major components forged in bulk, to have 1 or even 100 made of carbon steel would have added 10X to the price. There are some successful processes to blacken stainless steel, but I would bet against a blued, carbin steel version

michigan0626 08-17-2011 05:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I emailed Mag-na-port for some pics since they didnt have any on the website. She said she sent me an article on the Mini Anaconda that was in Guns Magazine from July 1994, I didnt get the article. But anyway, here are the pics.

michigan0626 08-17-2011 05:27 AM

I would change the frontsite, cuz I ain't packin pink. And I would go without skeletonizing the trigger guard. Other than that, that is one beautiful wheelgun.