Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Curious experience with .357 Mag versus .38 Special

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Curious experience with .357 Mag versus .38 Special

Now I'll admit first off that I am a newb, so I may just be a little off in my expectations, but I after a long weekend of shooting, I do have an interesting experience that I am curious about.

I obtained a Rossi 971 revolver (chambered for 357 magnum, 4" barrel) a few months back, and started off by firing 38 special +P rounds (125 grain Winchester white box stuff from Walmart). They kicked moderately, with a reasonable amount of muzzle blast/flash. I was a bit hesitant for a while to fire a 357 round; however, this past weekend I got a box of 110 grain 357 Winchesters just for kicks, and I was surprised that it had practically no recoil (certainly no muzzle flip). I suppose it was a bit louder (although I thought the 38 was already pretty darned loud), and there wasn't really any more flash IMO. So my question is: given that the 357 is supposed to be a far more powerful cartridge...what the heck???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Recoil is a product of bullet weight, muzzle velocity and to a lesser degree, powder weight. A light (110 gr.) fast .357 MAY not give any more felt recoil than a 125 gr. +p .38 spl.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

when i fired a 357 my first time it was a ruger redhawk or blackhawk cant remember, but my buddy who owned it said it kicked like a mule. at this time i had a .45 glock model 30, not a sissy gun, well anyways he told me it would kick harder than the glock. so i was nervous, well i took the shot... nothing too serious so i tried one handed and still nothing so i think its just hype. then i bough the rossi 2" barreled .357 that was a fun gun, my point is you cant go by what people say, i know a lot of peopl that call me nutz when i shoot my 12ga one handed but heh.

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-03-2008, 12:52 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a .380 sub-compact that feels like a cherry bomb going off in my hand. It's all a matter of physics.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 AM   #5

As Robocop stated, the 100 grain load, despite the fact that it is a .357 load, not a .38 Special, is very light for a .357. The "standard" .357 Magnum load is loaded with a 158 grain semi jacketed bullet.

I can assure you, run a few full power 158's through it and all your hopes and dreams of a hard recoiling, big muzzle flash handgun will be fulfilled. Now I am not talking stupid recoil like a heavy duty .44 magnum or some of the "I am compensating for something else" big bores. You will notice a difference though, especially in the 4", fairly light framed Rossi.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 12-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #6

Heh well I tried some Remington UMC 125 grain 357 magnum rounds out today at the range. Lets just say they were not my cup of tea (especially since I'm looking for something for home use), and that the rest are on sale Live and learn, although I had fun at least. Of course, I have a new appreciation for the practically non-recoiling 38 special +p now...

Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-M View Post
Heh well I tried some Remington UMC 125 grain 357 magnum rounds out today at the range. Lets just say they were not my cup of tea (especially since I'm looking for something for home use), and that the rest are on sale Live and learn, although I had fun at least. Of course, I have a new appreciation for the practically non-recoiling 38 special +p now...
There is a good variety of 38 SPL ammo available, most of which is recoil friendly. This is my all-time favorite .38 SPL ammo.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Steve-M.... Before you sell that ammo, I'd offer a suggestion..... get with another, perhaps more experienced revolver shooter, and see if changing a few things in your grip, and/or shooting position might improve your recoil situation.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 12-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #9

Wonder if there is anyone on the forum around... Although I will say that it is just more than pure recoil. The blast noise is enough to make me jump out of my skin, even with hearing protection.

Last edited by Steve-M; 12-07-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
I can assure you, run a few full power 158's through it and all your hopes and dreams of a hard recoiling, big muzzle flash handgun will be fulfilled.
Try some of the 180 grainers. They're hard to find, but a real blast. I call them "tankbusters" because it's one of the few handgun rounds that will penetrate a propane tank. Oh yeah, a nice padded shooting glove is also recommended, especially with wooden grips.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa