Cowboy action shooting dry fire practice - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Cowboy action shooting dry fire practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

What may be legal in my state may not be legal in yours.

Become familiar with your state laws (and remember that the free legal advice from the internet may not be correct).

Of course, they cannot post anything on the internet that was not true.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

beaglesam Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
What may be legal in my state may not be legal in yours.

Become familiar with your state laws (and remember that the free legal advice from the internet may not be correct).

Of course, they cannot post anything on the internet that was not true.
Ya everyone says different things. I'm going out of my mind, I live in New York I'm 21, getting into guns and into SASS its really hard because New York takes a year for a pistol permit and I can't get a revolver for at least the next year and its mad!! I found a puma SA revolver for $150 I would get it and weld it or whatever is legal, the problem with non shooting or blank shooting guns is that you can't fan them and that's one of the important things in CAS so If anyone from another state would buy it weld it and ship it to New York (so its legal) I would pay more..... Or if anyone has a revolver that the firing pin is messed up or the cylinder is bot safe for real fire I would weld the, and buy them....

Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #13

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Best advice youll get, is from a 2a attorney in your neck of the woods.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton
Best advice youll get, is from a 2a attorney in your neck of the woods.
Where god is great and guns are good

Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #15

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Unfortunately New York is one of the seven or eight rogue countries that don't seem to recognize the US constitution.
When I fixed this gun I was in the radical anti gun country of Hawaii,a place that has gun and property law based on edicts and opinions of the former Queen. At that time in the 90's it passed the state AG and BATF guidelines for an inert gun.
For all I know now it might even be against the law in New York to say the word gun in public,particularly if it is a gun capable of holding more than 12oz's of soda pop.

There should be a web site to call up state gun laws and find out what constitutes a non functional firearm.Most states have a firearms division of the AG's office or state police that can answer your questions.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Two reactions from this thread. First, I feel sorry for the OP and all of the other law abiding would-be gun owners in New York. A full year to get permission to buy a gun? Second, it makes me feel fortunate to live in SC.

To the OP: If you haven't already done so, attend a local SASS match before you start buying things. Also, if you get a replica gun for dry fire practice, don't spend time learning how to fan it. Fanning is against the rules-it's unsafe and it's really hard on the gun. What most cowboy shooters do (except those shooting one handed) is to hold the gun in the strong hand and use the other hand's thumb to cock the hammer.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #17

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Check your state laws with great care. If you are convicted of a firearms crime you will be barred from ever owning a handgun. Be very careful of advise regarding decommissioned modern weapons. The firearms receiver is the only registered part of a handgun or long arm.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFrog
Two reactions from this thread. First, I feel sorry for the OP and all of the other law abiding would-be gun owners in New York. A full year to get permission to buy a gun? Second, it makes me feel fortunate to live in SC.

To the OP: If you haven't already done so, attend a local SASS match before you start buying things. Also, if you get a replica gun for dry fire practice, don't spend time learning how to fan it. Fanning is against the rules-it's unsafe and it's really hard on the gun. What most cowboy shooters do (except those shooting one handed) is to hold the gun in the strong hand and use the other hand's thumb to cock the hammer.
Thanks for your sorry feelings I plan on moving out of this occupied New York someday and live free!! And about fanning, when I first learned about CAS I couldn't believe they weren't fanning until about a week ago I found out its cock pull chock pull..... That's really impressive the way some of them guys shoot,... btw I legally can still get long guns so the lever action is getting faster! At least

Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #19

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Not sure of New York laws, but you might be able to get an airsoft replica gun.

They make full metal, full functioning guns, even gas blowback operated ones in semiautomatic and revolver. They're awesome! And the little plastic bbs only go about 300fps, you can shoot in your backyard or garage!

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/AdvanceSearchResult?menu1=2&search=true&byCategory =true

Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #20
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
Not sure of New York laws, but you might be able to get an airsoft replica gun.

They make full metal, full functioning guns, even gas blowback operated ones in semiautomatic and revolver. They're awesome! And the little plastic bbs only go about 300fps, you can shoot in your backyard or garage!

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/AdvanceSearchResult?menu1=2&search=true&byCategory =true
A pellet gun would work better, pretty close to a .22 and you don't need a license, (at least in my state, you may in new york)

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY