Cowboy action shooting dry fire practice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Cowboy action shooting dry fire practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cowboy action shooting dry fire practice

Hey guy,
Im getting into cowboy action shooting and I wanna get good at it,
however I live in New York and until I get my pistol permit (which takes about a year) i wanted to do some dry firing mayb with a revolver. Anyone know if I buy a revolver in a different state and weld the barrel shut or fill it with cement can I still own it in New York without a pistol permit and dry fire at home?
( I found a $150 SA revolver so I think it's worth getting its a 22lr but I don't mind ruining the firing pin because its gonna be weld shut anyway)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can buy a Colt Reproduction (non-firing) at: http://www.westernemporium.com/store/001734W.php These should be legal in NY until you get your permit. Under $90.

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomingreeneco
You can buy a Colt Reproduction (non-firing) at: http://www.westernemporium.com/store/001734W.php These should be legal in NY until you get your permit. Under $90.
Thanks a lot il check it

Old 04-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6015 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

you cannot buy a functional gun in another state weld it shut and transport it to new york as the ffl or person your buying it from has to send it to a ffl in new york first before you can take posession.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #5

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
you cannot buy a functional gun in another state weld it shut and transport it to new york as the ffl or person your buying it from has to send it to a ffl in new york first before you can take posession.
Zackly------
Buy a dummie

Joined SASS yet?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Zackly------
Buy a dummie

Joined SASS yet?
About to I'm thinking of an alias

Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomingreeneco
Ok I checked them out and they all say not to dry fire them too much it will break mayb ill just take the chance it's like $80 so if it does break I guess it'll look good on the desk.
I wish I didn't live in New York then I could just buy a real one today!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Check laws.
For an inert display gun in another state:
1)Remove cylinder
2)Plug barrel at forcing cone with wooden dowel plug/Plug chambers with dowel,leaving enough room for poly vinyl snap caps.
3)Fill barrel and chambers with the same low temperature metal gunsmiths use for barrel slugging.
When cooled,remove plugs and super glue vinyl snap caps in chambers-reassemble and snap away.
(In a hurry I glued the snap caps in and then pored the metal but it warped the snap caps a little)

To reactivate: Remove cylinder,drive plugs out of barrel with wooden dowel from muzzle end,cutting pieces off with a soldering iron,clean bore.
To clear cylinder,take an eye dropper and put a drop of acetone around the snap caps,pop them out,drive metal out with wooden dowel.Clean.make sure everything is clear and gun is good to go.(denatured alcohol will soften super glue enough to clean chambers)
Legal inert display gun in another state,required by museum insurance-hope this helps.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tsmith
Check laws.
For an inert display gun in another state:
1)Remove cylinder
2)Plug barrel at forcing cone with wooden dowel plug/Plug chambers with dowel,leaving enough room for poly vinyl snap caps.
3)Fill barrel and chambers with the same low temperature metal gunsmiths use for barrel slugging.
When cooled,remove plugs and super glue vinyl snap caps in chambers-reassemble and snap away.
(In a hurry I glued the snap caps in and then pored the metal but it warped the snap caps a little)

To reactivate: Remove cylinder,drive plugs out of barrel with wooden dowel from muzzle end,cutting pieces off with a soldering iron,clean bore.
To clear cylinder,take an eye dropper and put a drop of acetone around the snap caps,pop them out,drive metal out with wooden dowel.Clean.make sure everything is clear and gun is good to go.(denatured alcohol will soften super glue enough to clean chambers)
Legal inert display gun in another state,required by museum insurance-hope this helps.
Would that make it legal to bring into New York unregistered ? Say from Pennsylvania?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
hmh

Liked 157 Times on 109 Posts

What about black powder cap and ball?