Couple questions regarding these old revolvers.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Couple questions regarding these old revolvers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Couple questions regarding these old revolvers.

Recently I have come into possession of two older revolvers that I would like to know more about. These belonged to my late grandfather and have been lost for over 15 years.
First is a Harrington & Richardson .32 S&W CTGE top-break revolver.

What I would like to know is what model it is and what year it was produced. Also whether or not it could use modern smokeless powder rounds.

serial# 434315 on the butt of the gun.
One last question before we move on to the next gun, what does the CTGE stand for?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #2

Now on to the next revolver. A .31 black powder replica of the Colt Baby Dragoon. I believe it may be an older Uberti make since it seems high quality and says "made in Italy" on the side.

I would also like to know what the possible value is as well as a definite make and production year.

serial# 7781
If this is an Uberti remake, is it still BP only or can it use smokeless powder?

Here you can also see part of the "Cowboys vs Indians" engraving on the cylinder. Also is there any relevance to the "XXVI" stamped on the frame?

Of course I will also have these examined by a professional gunsmith before attempting to fire either one, but I would like to know more about these firearms before even worrying about that.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Here is a link to markings on the Italian BP replicas.

http://www.acwsa.org/Pages/News_Items/MBPProofmarks.pdf

Yours was made in 1970.

Someone will be along shortly with the info on your H&R.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8963 Times on 3880 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

CTGE is the abbreviation for cartridge. Looks like you MAY have the Automatic Ejector model- discontinued in 1942. Should be fine with current 32 S&W ammo. DO NOT try to shoot .32 Auto, 32-20, .32 H&R Mag, 327 mag etc ad infinitum.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 05-08-2011 at 03:26 AM.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #5

Wow, shows how much I know about BP replicas haha. I guess it was silly of me to assume it was an Uberti. I haven't seen any sort of markings that indicate manufacturer aside from the generic "Made in Italy" on the side. And on the H&R, it does have the auto-ejector on the cylinder.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

With your ball and cap revolver, PLEASE do use not anything but black powder, or a black powder substitute such as Pyrodex, etc. These are NOT designed for the pressures produced by smokeless powder. CAN blow the nipple out of cylinder if you are unlucky. THEN you have to explain to the ER staff WHY a gun part is imbedded in your body.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #7

Haha alright, I'll keep that in mind. Any ideas as to how much powder per shot or where I can find that information? Also, .31 seems like a strange caliber even for cap and ball, what are some reliable vendors that might carry the lead?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #8

Sorry for the double post, but after further research I realized this probably isn't a baby dragoon, as the baby dragoon lacked a rammer and had a shorter barrel. My next best guess is that it is a pocket army or something to that extent. I also realized the trigger spring is broken when I cocked the hammer to check the action. Yea it may have been dumb of me to do that before having it professionally checked but I did it anyway.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The ROUGH rule of thumb for a black powder handgun is about 1/2 to 1 of the caliber in grains of powder. That would be 15-30 grains of fffG for yours. Find some size 0 buckshot, and it should be about the right size- the ball and cap revolvers actually trim a soft lead ball to size when reloading. DO spend some time reading and learning about the care of feeding of those before you try shooting it, or you may experience a truly thrilling event called chain-fire.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try 13 gr of black powder or substitute. You might try 14 gr, but that may not allow the ball to be seated deeply enough to allow the cylinder to spin. You could try Cabelas for your .31 balls as they do have other black powder guns & accoutrements. Mike Venterino says you can use OO buck shot for balls. It appears to be an 1849 pocket revolver copy.