Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > correct me if I'm wrong...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default correct me if I'm wrong...

But it seems like revolvers are dated technology. Why would you limit yourself to 6 shots that are a pain to reload when you can have a mag that holds 10+ and changes out easily. I'm looking for another point of view. Thanks

Last edited by canebrake; 04-19-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #2

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper89
But it seems like revolvers are dated technology. Why would you limit yourself to 6 shots that are a pain to reload when you can have a mag that holds 10+ and changes out easily. I'm looking for another point of view, if you want to sit and talk **** about how retarded I am, then don't post. Thanks
I find them just fun to shoot. And my grandpa's .38 special was the first handgun I ever shot

Old 04-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I carry an autoloader for PD.

I shoot my S&W 29-2 and 19-3 for shear pleasure.

Shooting a vintage wheel gun is like taking a walk back through history. It's as close as we can come to the likes of Elmer Keith, Jack Weaver, Col. Charles "Boots" Askins or Thell Reed today.

elmerkeith.jpg   jackweaver.jpg   charles_askins.jpg   thell_reed_and_his_colts.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper89 View Post
But it seems like revolvers are dated technology. Why would you limit yourself to 6 shots that are a pain to reload when you can have a mag that holds 10+ and changes out easily. I'm looking for another point of view, if you want to sit and talk **** about how retarded I am, then don't post. Thanks

How about 8 shots & moon clips?

I also like 1911s. Generic feeling plastic pistols aren't the be-all, end-all.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #5

Liked 239 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 20

O.K. Here's my take on the subject:

First of all, I often shoot big, heavy bullets at around 1400 fps or so. My target may be down range a hundred yards or more. These targets often clang, break apart, or jump up in a most satisfyiong manner. And, sometimes, they end up on the grill smoking over a mesquite fire.

In most cases, I only need one or two shots, and other times I will empty the cylinder of all FIVE shots. Reloading is no pain, as the empty cases are deposited into the palm of my hand, from which I place them back into the box, ready for cleaning and processing into another round.

I do enjoy shooting, picking more and more difficult targets and at greater distances.
And, I can go through several hundred rounds without reloading a single magazine. Talk about being a pain to reload!

Not all of my ammunition is fire-breathing long range stuff. Sometimes I shoot a pipsqueak load that can barely get through the thickness of the target paper. And my gun doesn't care how potent or impotent my round might be, it fires it with the same aplomb.

And, my guns have handsome case hardened colors, deep blued steel, and beautiful wood grips. Wood such as walnut, ebony, rosewood and mesquite.

And, the slower reloading times give me a chance to talk with my friend about whatever comes to mind at the time.

That's my take on the proposition.

Bob Wright

Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Revolvers might be dated technology, but they sure do sell a lot
of them or else the manufacturers wouldn't keep making them.

Revolvers might be limited in capacity, but there aren't many
autoloaders with a 8" barrel.

There aren't many autoloaders chambered in .38 SPL, .357 magnum,
.44 spl, .44 magnum, .45 LC, .460 or .500 S&W and so on.

What some call dated technology, others call it a thing of beauty.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

First off Ms. Mammy Grizzly says we aren't to use the "R word" anymore.

Second, if you try a .38 or .357 revolver for target practice/plinking, you will most likely fall in love with it. I don't see me carrying my 6" barreled GP100 around much for self defense, but i LOVE shooting target with it, as do my friends. Try it, you will probably be revolver shopping next week. If i had to defend the cats, i'd grab my shotgun or the XD45, but it is nice to know the GP100 is right there if the XD should malfunction (not that it ever has so far).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6668 Times on 4033 Posts
Likes Given: 7921

I have a revolver and I love it. I trust it more than my semi-autos and it will be the first gun I reach for in a home defense situation. And.....she's a beautiful, classic gun. Nothing says "gun" like a revolver, in my opinion. A Ruger GP100. I think she packs more punch than either of my semi-autos which are a .22 and a .380. Very little can go wrong with a revolver, unlike some semi-auto's. She's as reliable and a workhorse.

400px-rugergp100stainless6in.jpg  

Last edited by winds-of-change; 04-17-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #9

Liked 239 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 20

As to carry, here's my "American Express" (never leave home without it):

And, what it can do, and plenty fast:

Good enough for me!

Bob Wright

Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #10

Right on. Thanks for the input yall, and yea I may go try one out. Maybe you are right in the fact that it may just be I've never shot one. I like my px4 and xd45, buy I'm ok with opening my horizons lol