Concern with my GP100
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Concern with my GP100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 04:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Concern with my GP100

Hello all,
This is my first post. I happened to come across this site while searching for some info on the concern I had with my Ruger GP100. I have owned the gun for about 10 years with no problems. Not a lot of shooting has been done with this gun. In March of 2009 I went out to shoot and was using Remington UMC 38spl. ammo. A few weeks prior I shot 2 rounds out of the gun and noticed I did not hit anything. In March I went back out to shoot and when I pulled the trigger the gun fired, but it was very quiet. No recoil or nothing happened. A little bit of smoke came out around the cylinder area. Long story short, what I found out later that day was 2 bullets were jammed in the barrel. The 2 rounds I shot weeks before. The 3rd bullet I tried to shoot was of course the end. I know I should of cleaned the gun weeks before, but I really did not think I would have to clean it after only 2 shots. I sent the gun to Ruger who in turn sent me a bill to repair the gun. The barrel was bulged and so on. I feel pretty lucky. I contacted Remington and they told me that it was because I was using 38spl. ammo. Remington agreed to fix the gun and sent the money to Ruger. The guy at Remington told me, now get this, the 38spl. ammo uses less powder so when you load the gun and keep it down toward the ground the powder in the bullets moves forward, away from the pimer, and that is why the 2 previous bullets did not exit the barrel. Of course the 3rd just got jammed behind the other 2 and bulged the barrel. The guy at Remington told me after loading the gun I need to hold the gun upward so the powder moves back down toward the primer or simply use 357 mag. ammo only. I'm not an expert, but I find this hard to believe. My opinion is the ammo was simply junk. As of this writing I'm still waiting for my gun to come back. I called last week and Ruger said the gun was at the range being tested. Any opinions or advice? I don't fault the firearm, but this is my home defense weapon. How do I know the weapon will perform when needed? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2009, 05:05 AM   #2

Liked 158 Times on 119 Posts

The "guy" you talked to a Remington is blowing you a line of smoke. Exactly as you think, the ammo was defective. Someone at Remington, possibly him, knows the ammo was defective, and that is why they are paying to fix the gun.
Ruger will most assuredly"fix" the gun. If they were not 100% sure it was as serviceable as a new firearm they would not ship it back to you, they would replace it. I have seen them do exactly that. I would have no concerns about the gun's capabilities when I got it back from Ruger, other than doing a due diligence check over like I would with any new gun I purchased. You can not buy a better gun than a Ruger GP100 for home defense.
Glad you were not hurt.

What could have happened... did.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Ditto what Virginian said. I've owned three GP100's, a Security Six and a bunch of other Ruger revolvers; Blackhawks, Vaquero's and one SP101. They've all been dead on reliable.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

First welcome to the forum,
I've had a round once that failed and stuck in the barrel of a wheel gun.
I knew right then that something was wrong due to the blow back.
I can't imagine the effect of firing a second round down a blocked barrel
and it not damaging the firearm or you
Firing a third round down the blocked barrel latter and only a bulge on the barrel and no damage to you is a testiment to Ruger!

No offense but I'm calling BS on this post unless you can prove it.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #5

First off, I did not come here to be called a liar. I simply was asking for some advice. To me, this is not a very nice welcome to this forum. I have pics of the stuck bullets and the letter I sent to Ruger. I do not have pics of the bullets actually stuck in the barrel, but like I said I do have pics of the bullets after I extracted them from the barrel. Being this is my first time posting here, I might not be able to post the pics correctly, but I will try......
By the way, I was offended!

img_2131.jpg  

Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #6

You didnt need to prove anything to him. If he doesnt believe you, then thats his problem. Anyway. That sucks. Multiple people on the forum said they were built like tanks. You surely proved it.

S.S.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #7

I've seen this before, in a friends GP-100. I think what saved the gun and the shooter from injury is the fact that Rugers are built very stout. At the same time they tend to have fairly large Cylinder to Forcing cone gaps, which in effect acts as a relief valve.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It was TOTALLY the fault of the ammo. Thank God it happened in a Ruger GP100 instead of a weaker designed/built gun. It IS safe to shoot .38 special in any .357 firearm. I would either discard or send the ammo back to Remington & demand refund of the ammo & repair of your firearm. Document EVERYTHING. From now on, be SURE to MAKE SURE that every bullet leaves the barrel. The fact that the gun didn't explode & you didn't get hurt is a testimony of Ruger quality/design. By the way,stop in the introductions section & tell us about yourself.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #9

Remington asked for the unused ammo back. On 4/15 Remington sent me a new box of ammo, 38spl, and said they were paying the repair on the gun. On 5/26 I talked to Ruger and they said the gun was being repaired. On 7/23 I talked to Ruger and they said the gun was at the range. So hopefully I should see the gun within the next few weeks. I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to firearms, but I did research the gun before I bought it. From everything I had read it seemed only logical to chose either a SW or Ruger revolver. I don't have much experience with handguns, so I figured a revolver was a better choice than a semi-auto for a first time handgun purchase. The Ruger seemed to fit my hand better than the SW is the only reason I picked it over the SW. I really wanted the stainless version, but was unable to find it at the time. I did send a letter to Ruger explaining what happened to the gun and thanked them and praised them for a well built gun. Thanks for all the responses everyone,