Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Concealed Carry - S&W 642 vs Ruger LCR vs S&W 640

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Concealed Carry - S&W 642 vs Ruger LCR vs S&W 640

I want to get a small revolver for concealed carry and would like to hear your experience and recommendations.

FYI, I already have a HK P7PSP as CCW and will get a HK P2000sk (both 9mm) in the near future.

Meanwhile, I always want to get a revolver. Dry fired a S&W 642 in a gun store but found the DAO trigger very heavy. The S&W 686 has a much better trigger in DA but its size is not very practical for CC.

How does the Ruger LCR (38 and 357) compare to S&W 642/442 in terms of trigger pull/break, built quality and relliability? Also, how do you compare the S&W 60/640 to S&W 642? I know it's 8 oz heavier and is in stainless steel.

In addition, does the Ruger LCR have the similar internal lock as the S&W revolvers (except the no-lock model of S&W 642)?

Lastly, how do you CCW a small revolver? IWB holster or Pocket holster. I use the Milt-Sparks VM-2 for my HK P7PSP and found it comfortable. I imagine the width of a revolver is bigger than the 1.14inch HK P7.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 172 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Hi there, I have a 642 S&W and love it! I like a all metal revolver myself, but I hear that the LCR is a nice one. I carry in a inside the waist band holster, and find it very easy to wear. Great for summer!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #3

Default Trigger Pull DAO - How was it?

Thanks for your comment. How do you describe the DAO trigger pull on the 642? Will it become lighter after a long break in with dry firing?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 172 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Well its not light. But it is smooth. I am accurate with it though. And I like a heavy trigger for carry. For example I often carry a sigma lol. I have learned that the 642 is very reliable. Also consistant.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington