Compare GP100 Taurus Raging Bull - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Compare GP100 Taurus Raging Bull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
Thanks for all the input. It is kinda what I wanted to hear. Yes, Im leaning toward the Ruger.

Question: Can any of the .357 Mag also shoot .38 specials? My recollection is the .38 special is typically slightly lighter load than 9MM.

Id love to have a Colt Python but a fixed income says 'no go'.
You can shoot 38 spl in a 357 I'm not sure on the ballistics off hand because I'm old and feeble minded. Like I said earlier my wife uses 38 spl rounds in her K frame mdl. 19 357 mag. Even the defense rounds she likes best are 38 spl. She will use full house loads some but mainly likes the 357 because if it's ability to use more than one kind of ammo.

The sire ballistics101.com has that info if you care to check it out.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Between the two, I like Ruger more. However, if price is a concern, I have heard Taurus is hit or miss for their revolvers. Bear in mind, if yours is a "miss," they have a lifetime warranty. So keep sending it back until they get it right.

But yes, I personally prefer the Ruger.

My favorites are definitely S&W, though. So if you find a good used one in your price range, my recommendation is to snag it up.

Yes, you can shoot any .38 Special load out of a wheel gun chambered in .357 Magnum. The opposite is not true.

When shooting my .38 Special reloads out of my S&W model 66, it recoils less than my 9mm reloads out of my M&P9c, or even my wife's full sized M&P9. The fairly substantial weight of the gun really tames the recoil down. The rubber Pachmayer grips help a lot too. Just food for thought.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Between the two, I like Ruger more. However, if price is a concern, I have heard Taurus is hit or miss for their revolvers. Bear in mind, if yours is a "miss," they have a lifetime warranty. So keep sending it back until they get it right.

But yes, I personally prefer the Ruger.

My favorites are definitely S&W, though. So if you find a good used one in your price range, my recommendation is to snag it up.

Yes, you can shoot any .38 Special load out of a wheel gun chambered in .357 Magnum. The opposite is not true.

When shooting my .38 Special reloads out of my S&W model 66, it recoils less than my 9mm reloads out of my M&P9c, or even my wife's full sized M&P9. The fairly substantial weight of the gun really tames the recoil down. The rubber Pachmayer grips help a lot too. Just food for thought.
Got a Mod 28-2 for 350 a couple years ago. Got a Mod 19-3 for 350 last year. Oh yeah I do love a S&W revo.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie

Got a Mod 28-2 for 350 a couple years ago. Got a Mod 19-3 for 350 last year. Oh yeah I do love a S&W revo.
Those are awesome prices. My 66-2 was about $450. I was, and still am, pleased with that price.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 09-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #15

The GP100. I had the pre runner to the RB in a Rossi (Taurus adopted the Rossi teck when they bought them) that had the comp, and bull barrel. I also have a GP100, and I gotta go with the Ruger. Great gun, and to close in price to the Taurus to justify not buying it.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #16

I have owned both guns and would highly recommend the GP-100 over the Raging Bull. The answer is simple. The Raging Bull has 2 Cylinder locks, which makes reloads hard to manage. I had one of my Accidental Discharge events trying to unlock the cylinder of my Raging Bull. This is not a beginner gun. The double latch is really meant for true Magnumizers, people who have to hand load to Maximium Pressures. The Tracker on the other hand is a great gun. It is as simple to use as any Smith & Wesson copy. It is the ventilated rib version of the original 686. I like them. Never had a quality issues with any of my Taurus guns. Revolvers or Semi-Autos. So if you looking for a gun to handle both 38's and 357's You won't go wrong with either the Tracker or the GP-100. Both have great neoprene grips, which I swear by over the old big Walnut Stocks.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursamajor
The GP100. I had the pre runner to the RB in a Rossi (Taurus adopted the Rossi teck when they bought them) that had the comp, and bull barrel. I also have a GP100, and I gotta go with the Ruger. Great gun, and to close in price to the Taurus to justify not buying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesdd10862
I have owned both guns and would highly recommend the GP-100 over the Raging Bull. The answer is simple. The Raging Bull has 2 Cylinder locks, which makes reloads hard to manage. I had one of my Accidental Discharge events trying to unlock the cylinder of my Raging Bull. This is not a beginner gun. The double latch is really meant for true Magnumizers, people who have to hand load to Maximium Pressures. The Tracker on the other hand is a great gun. It is as simple to use as any Smith & Wesson copy. It is the ventilated rib version of the original 686. I like them. Never had a quality issues with any of my Taurus guns. Revolvers or Semi-Autos. So if you looking for a gun to handle both 38's and 357's You won't go wrong with either the Tracker or the GP-100. Both have great neoprene grips, which I swear by over the old big Walnut Stocks.
Geeze, what's with all the people who have been around or years and literally never posted until this thread......

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #18

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Gp100 no questions asked. After shooting ruger and s&w revolvers my whole life never once have I picked up a taurus hand gun and been like "dam this is nice, I gotta get me one"

Old 09-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #19

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92
Gp100 no questions asked. After shooting ruger and s&w revolvers my whole life never once have I picked up a taurus hand gun and been like "dam this is nice, I gotta get me one"
I would agree that the gp100 is probably the better choice of the 2, but there are some really good Taurus revolvers out there (I can't speak for the raging bull). My 669 is a nail driver and never had a single problem. Also one of the smoothest da triggers I have pulled. IMO it is a good looking piece too. I wouldn't trade it for a gp.

image-899345859.jpg

Old 09-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
I would agree that the gp100 is probably the better choice of the 2, but there are some really good Taurus revolvers out there (I can't speak for the raging bull). My 669 is a nail driver and never had a single problem. Also one of the smoothest da triggers I have pulled. IMO it is a good looking piece too. I wouldn't trade it for a gp.

Attachment 119563
The thing I like most about Taurus revolvers is they seem to be S&W clones, most of the time.

Seriously a beautiful gun, at least in that picture, Magnumman!

Always have clean socks.