Compare GP100 Taurus Raging Bull
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Compare GP100 Taurus Raging Bull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default Compare GP100 Taurus Raging Bull

My next gun will likely be a revolver. Im looking at the GP100 and Taurus Raging Bull or equals of either one. I love the vent rib on pistols and any other gun.

Can anyone offer an unbiased assessment of the two?

Id really like to find something in a 9MM but these are not good examples. Id like something that is not intimidating to shoot for mama and easy to manage.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 09-21-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21292 Times on 12080 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
My next gun will likely be a revolver. Im looking at the GP100 and Taurus Raging Bull or equals of either one. I love the vent rib on pistols and any other gun.

Id really like to find something in a 9MM but these are not good examples. Id like something that is not intimidating to shoot for mama and easy to manage.
i have shot the Ruger GP100 and it's one fine pistol. one that i hope to own in the short future is possible. this one will be the one i plan on owning to replace my lacking of a revolver in 357 Mag. that i have had for several years now.

i haven't shot the Taurus Raging Bull, but do own the Taurus Tracker 44 Mag. and as much as i like it, (and i do like it alot!) i would probably choose the Ruger over the Taurus. the Taurus is a good pistol, but IMO, i think the Ruger is a better pistol.

these are just my opinions and hope they help you in your decision.

unless you can find a good deal on a Smith & Wesson revolver!
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I have held both but not fired either. Just looking for any issues with one or the other. I dont want another semi-auto as the S&W .40 I currently have. Nothing wrong with it at all - I love it, but want a revolver. I wanted a Colt Python back in the late 1960's but never got one...got drafted instead...but proud to serve.

Is there any other revolver I should be considering that I might have missed?

~ Holsters ~

We the People...

Last edited by wittmeba; 09-21-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 322 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 63

S&W 686, 66, 19, 27, 28. Ruger SP101 for a smaller frame. Ruger Blackhawk if you want to think about SA only.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2730 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 267

Of the two you list, Ruger every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
Taurus has developed an unfortunate reputation for spotty quality control along with spotty customer service. Most people are willing roll the dice on one or the other, but both is asking a bit much.
It's sad too because Taurus has several revolvers I think are really cool. I have bought one Taurus (85UL) already. I wish I'd simply spent more for a S&W. While functional, the workmanship left me unimpressed.

Oddball option: Hunt down an old Dan Wesson 15-2. Built like tanks, interchangeable barrels, as accurate a revolver as you will ever find. Vented barrel shrouds are out there even if the one you end up with doesn't have at time of purchase. Best part? They are still a decent value...for now.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
People Like This 
Old 09-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21292 Times on 12080 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Of the two you list, Ruger every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
Taurus has developed an unfortunate reputation for spotty quality control along with spotty customer service. Most people are willing roll the dice on one or the other, but both is asking a bit much.
It's sad too because Taurus has several revolvers I think are really cool. I have bought one Taurus (85UL) already. I wish I'd simply spent more for a S&W. While functional, the workmanship left me unimpressed.

Oddball option: Hunt down an old Dan Wesson 15-2. Built like tanks, interchangeable barrels, as accurate a revolver as you will ever find. Vented barrel shrouds are out there even if the one you end up with doesn't have at time of purchase. Best part? They are still a decent value...for now.
i forgot about the Dan Wesson revolvers. yes a very good option. very well made and very accurate revolvers. i love shooting my fathers DW.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #7

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Dan wessons seem to be getting hard to find ( at least where I am). I was in a shop a couple of years back and he had a half dozen or so. I regret buying one to this day. They are really nice, high quality guns.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post

The Raging Bull looks to be a pretty cool revo. . I've not owned one but have shot a couple.They grouped well nad where manageable to control. I have owned a GP 100 and shot several others. I did my best to abuse it and failed. That thing is just a tank! They group very well Out of the two choices I'd have to go with the Ruger. I will say I have yet to hear of the Taurus Raging Bull falling out of time as some less expensive 357s will do using a steady diet of full house loads... So that is a plus. I actually want one of the Raging 30's. I really like the idea of a 30 carbine round in a revolver.

If you use 38 spl in your 357 you get a much lighter load that easy to handle by newer shooters or say..A wife that might get a little rattled. My wife shoots 38spl out of her K frame most all the time.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #9

Thanks for all the input. It is kinda what I wanted to hear. Yes, Im leaning toward the Ruger.

Question: Can any of the .357 Mag also shoot .38 specials? My recollection is the .38 special is typically slightly lighter load than 9MM.

Id love to have a Colt Python but a fixed income says 'no go'.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...

Old 09-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1504 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 526

I am a Ruger fanboy. Every gun I have ever owned that was made by Ruger did exactly as advertised. Yes, you can shoot 38 spl ammo in a 357 pistol. You need to brush out the cylinders often when shooting 38 spl ammo. 38 spl ammo will leave a ring in the cylinder that will make loading 357 ammo difficult.

Once you get a 357 you will find 357 ammo for the same price as 38 spl ammo. You might not shoot as much 38 spl ammo as you might expect, unless you are sensitive to recoil.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato