LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1114 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Colts

I have a Colt Official Police that the serial number places at 1932, and a colt Cobra also in .38 special. The frame and internals look exactly alike, is the cobra a continuation of the Official Police line? or something totally different?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

No. The Cobra & Detective Special are Decedents of the official police and police positive guns, although there are slight external differences. I own 4 Colt DA wheel Guns, a 6" blued Python, and three Snubbies. A 3" Stainless King Cobra, and 2" Cobra LT.( light weight) and a 2"Det. Sp., that was Dad's off Duty( the King was his Back up to his 1911 as an Army Reserve CID). The only one I still carry and shoot is the Cobra. It had the timing redone and a rebluing from colt in 1991. It still looks like the day I got it back, 23 years ago last month. I've Taught several cousins, Nieces, and Nephews to shoot with that Gun. My Older Niece is a College Art Teacher in Philly, but lives in Jersey, where her husband is a Methodist Minister. They are in a nice house, but a rough area. They offered to buy the gun from me, but I couldn't sell it. So instead all the Aunts and uncles chipped in, and we got them a GP100 4", and an SP101 4" 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-26-2014, 02:23 AM   #3

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The Official Police model was a descendent of the Army Special, and was on the mid-size frame, often referred to as the .41 Frame. The Official Police spawned the Officer Model series; Officers Model Target, Officers Model Special, Officers Model Match, and the Python.

The Police Positive and Police Positive Special were small framed Colts, yet were six-shot guns. The PPS sired the Banker's Special, detective Special, and the Cobra, and also the Diamondback.

Bob Wright

P.S. Forgot to mention the Official Police is also sire to the Trooper and the Three Fifty Seven.

Last edited by Bob Wright; 09-26-2014 at 02:25 AM.