Colt Trooper MKV .357 Magnum Sights

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Colt Trooper MKV .357 Magnum Sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt Trooper MKV .357 Magnum Sights

I've got a Colt Trooper MKV .357 Magnum and I was going to take it deer hunting this year. Its my dads gun and he used to use it for target shooting and when I switched to a heavier grain bullet and went to sight it in, I couldn't raise the rear sight enough to put the bullet on target before the screw on the sight comes out of its threads. Any one have any solutions or a reason this would be like this? thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I had that problem after I got my Super Blackhawk cut to 5". Couldn't raise the rear sight high enough. Had a smith tig weld about 1/4" blob on top of the front sight, cranked the rear halfway down, and filed down the front until it shot where I wanted. You could possibly file down the rear sight blade(much cheaper) but mine would have gotten awfully shallow...

Old 11-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspbrad View Post
I've got a Colt Trooper MKV .357 Magnum and I was going to take it deer hunting this year. Its my dads gun and he used to use it for target shooting and when I switched to a heavier grain bullet and went to sight it in, I couldn't raise the rear sight enough to put the bullet on target before the screw on the sight comes out of its threads. Any one have any solutions or a reason this would be like this? thanks
Rather than "risking" messing up your Fantastic Colt Trooper, Use a different load. The round you are using is way too low velocity, and you are trying to compensate with rear sight. Go back to 158 grain... or use Buffalo Bore Ammo. OR you could SIMPLY raise your POA when you aim... I do this a lot and I hit my target EVERY TIME!

Please don't cut, trim, or modify that revolver in any way! It will TOTALLY destroy its value.

Last edited by Mark F; 11-01-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with Mark F, try to find a solution that doesn't involve modifying the gun. Perhaps trying different ammo or just elevating the point of aim a bit.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #5

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

From what you state, the "heavier" bullet impacts too low?

Normally, if sighted in with a light bullet, the heavier will hit high.

But, if as you say, your rear sight is raised to maximum, file down your front sight. The old adage holds true, move your rear sight in the direction you want your bullet to strike, move the front sight in the opposite direction. To raise point of impact, lower your front sight. This is easily done with a good file.

First sight in with the ammunition you plan to use. Set your rear sight at about mid-point of elevation. Fire five shot groups and file the front sight, say about ten strokes, between groups. You should see your groups "walk" up into the black. When sighted in, touch up the blade with cold blue.

No matter how desirable a collector's item it is, its worthless if you can't hit with it.

Bob Wright

Old 11-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspbrad View Post
Everyone forgets. It is not your gun to modify!!