Colt SAA Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Colt SAA Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Default Colt SAA Question

For those of you who have not stumbled upon my posts before, please brace yourselves for the long winded nature of my inquiries!

(Deep breath)... So, I am absolutely enamored with the beauty and history of the Single Action Army. I simply must have one (or two, or three if the good Lord is willing!). I am fairly experienced in many areas, but I am honestly quite uneducated in regards to this Colt, so I was hoping you fine gentlemen might help this poor, addicted, helplessly obsessed old soul!

There is a void in the collection where the .357 used to be, and I would love to fill that void with a new Colt SAA. My first question is this: Can I shoot this gun? I know this may seem like a silly question, but my research is yielding answers that are all over the map! So, will a NEW Colt SAA stand up to 10, 15, 20 thousand magnum rounds? There seems to be a camp which believes these guns were not designed to be shooters. Is there any truth to this?

Secondly, the beautiful blue color case hardened finish on these new Colts is also new to me. Will it stand up to being rode hard and put up wet? Can I stuff the gun in leather, tote it around the Texas brush all day, and still bask in its glorious beauty years from now? ... OR is this the type of finish that requires babysitting?

I know I have more questions rattling around upstairs, but for now I've got to run. I appreciate any insight and I thank y'all in advance!

-Tom

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #2

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

The case hardening finish will wear off(the colors will). They are made to shoot but I can not say how many rounds. The Rugers might stand up longer as the are diffidently stronger.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #3

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Thanks for the reply. If I refrain from shooting and treat the gun like a safe queen, will the colors last?

Simply put, if I'm looking for a visually stunning .357 that can take a beating, am I barking up the wrong tree with the Colt Single Action Army?

-Tom

Old 06-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #4

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

A couple of things about case colors - I agree they look nice(and it does harden the metal surface). The colors will wear off fairly quickly and they will fade in the sun. Get a Colt (or clone) to show and a Ruger to shoot.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #5

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The Colt SSA is a shooter and a looker as well. I would not feed it a steady diet of .357 mag, but you can shoot .38 special all day long with no ill effects. The only draw back with the Colt SSA or it's clones is it's internal lock work. It is slightly delicate in it's design. If abused, as some do with theirs, it will fail. Good spare parts to have would be, triggers, hammers, bolts, hands and bolt/trigger springs. If you want to shoot a steady diet of .357 mag, I would suggest you look at the Ruger Vaquero, it is a Colt SSA look-a-like and will stand up to the abuse. A lot of SASS members use them in cowboy action shooting. Much stronger than the Colt or clones, framewise and actionwise. But still, there is nothing like the feel of a real Colt SSA in your hands.

Jim.........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks