Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Colt SAA Grips (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/colt-saa-grips-48641/)

ALS11 09-23-2011 01:53 AM

Colt SAA Grips

I just got a Colt SAA. I think it is about a 1980 or so vintage and looks to be unfired. Anyway I really like it BUT the plastic grips don't fit right. There is a gap on the butt caused by a poorly fitting alignment pin. When I took the grips off I noticed that the screw on the bottom of the grip frame was loose with a slight gap between the two halves of the grip frame. I tightened the screw and of course the grips don't fit at all now. SO.... Do I alter the grips to fit the frame correctly or call Colts to get their recommendation? Maybe they would send me a new pair of grips that would fit properly?

Markd51 09-24-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALS11 (Post 584684)
I just got a Colt SAA. I think it is about a 1980 or so vintage and looks to be unfired. Anyway I really like it BUT the plastic grips don't fit right. There is a gap on the butt caused by a poorly fitting alignment pin. When I took the grips off I noticed that the screw on the bottom of the grip frame was loose with a slight gap between the two halves of the grip frame. I tightened the screw and of course the grips don't fit at all now. SO.... Do I alter the grips to fit the frame correctly or call Colts to get their recommendation? Maybe they would send me a new pair of grips that would fit properly?

Hello,
My first post here.
Being that it is from 1980, I doubt very much Colt will honor any warrantees, but you never know? Thus you may be paying them to fit another pair of plastic grips?

Outlaw Grips Home

Or, here's a very worthy option, and this might be the best route. (I'm hoping by posting such a link, I'm not in violation of forums rules?)

I have no affiliation with this person, nor have I ever had him do any grips for me. But by the looks of his work, and expertise, I think if I ever wanted some beautiful custom, properly fitted grips on any SAA I'll ever own, I think this would be the man I'd go to in a heartbeat.

The prices on his work IMO seem more than reasonable. As an example, for real Elephant Ivory, (Pre ban) I think USFA's price is $750.

The selection of woods is virtually only limited by the customer's choices.

Truthfully I never liked the look of any Ruger, USFA, or Colt wearing Black Plastic-Rubber Grips. Wood, or Ivory (even a synthetic Tru Ivory) vastly improves the beauty of these Guns. I hope this helps you. Mark

ALS11 09-24-2011 03:03 PM

Thanks, I'll check them out. Last night I took off the grips and started to fit them. After going on Colts web site I figured they would charge me quite a lot to make it right so I might as well try to fix it myself. It took a while but they are much better now. BUT They are not perfect. I think they were not the original ones cause there seems to be a S/N scratched on the inside of them that does not match the gun. They are Colt Grips though. They are a bit smaller on the bottom of the frame allowing the sharp edges of the frame to stick out.
Looking on the net I see that grips are EXPENSIVE!! I'll try these for a while and see how I like them.

Markd51 09-24-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALS11 (Post 585843)
Thanks, I'll check them out. Last night I took off the grips and started to fit them. After going on Colts web site I figured they would charge me quite a lot to make it right so I might as well try to fix it myself. It took a while but they are much better now. BUT They are not perfect. I think they were not the original ones cause there seems to be a S/N scratched on the inside of them that does not match the gun. They are Colt Grips though. They are a bit smaller on the bottom of the frame allowing the sharp edges of the frame to stick out.
Looking on the net I see that grips are EXPENSIVE!! I'll try these for a while and see how I like them.

There's a lot of Grips available on that famous auction site, as well as businesses that sell Grips for the SAA which are fairly reasonable in cost. With a refitting of custom Grips, a person then just cannot take the entire affair to Belt Sander, and start sanding away, as you'll destroy the metal part's finish.

I can envision a lot of back, and forth, and time to do custom fitted Grips in this manner

The unknowns, is how will they fit? I believe in a manufacturer's situation (Uberti-Colt-USFA-Etc) that they sand-buff the Grips to the Grip Frame before Grip Frame Polishing-Blueing, to insure a precise fit.

Provided a Grip is larger than needed, material can be removed, but not the other way around. That then depends upon the expertise of the person doing the fitting. And I assume that's what one largely pays for when having Grips custom fitted to the particular gun, is the Labor. (With the possible exception of real Ivory, unless it's engraved, checkered, or scrimshawed-inlaid etc)

I would assume that even the ultra high precision of a company such as USFA, with their attention to detail, and fit-finish, that you could take a set of Grips off another exact model gun, and they will not exactly fit another. I think probably the most critical area, is where the Grips would meet the Reciever Frame.

I can envision myself trying this, and without the proper experience, and tools, what I would probably have would be no doubt an amateurish, butchered job! lol

Again, hope this helps. Mark

jyo 11-28-2011 01:41 AM

SAAs demand real stag grips---nothing looks better!