Colt or Ruger
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Colt or Ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt or Ruger

So I’ve decided my next firearm purchase is going to be a .45 colt revolver, can’t decide which one though! I’m considering:

-Colt SAA 5.5” SS = $1300
-Ruger Vaquero 5.5” SS = $580

The local gun shop also has some Cimarron and Uberti’s for less than the Ruger, but I am not at all familiar with those brands.
Hell I could buy 2 of the Vaqueros for less than the Colt, but I held it and loved the way it felt in my hand!
Let’s hear some pros and cons from any .45 Colt revolver fans.
Thanks
Gordo

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 460 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I have 2 Rugers and a Stoeger,,, made by Uberti,, and no Colt. I would love to get one but the cost prohibits me. The Rugers will handle the hottest of safe loads whereas a Colt will not. The Stoeger is my T.V. gun,, you know,, the one you sit with you on the couch while you watch John Wayne or Clint Eastwood movies to give 'em a hand if they need one. With cowboy loads the Stoeger is a good shooter and a fun revolver. The Rugers are the hunters, handling the heavier loads and I know their strength and feel confident. I would stay with a Ruger for that reason alone. I just would love to have a 5 1/2" Colt with nice Sambar stag or elk stag grips and a nice Cochise or Mernickle rig. Maybe when the last kid is out of school. .45's are really great to shoot,, have fun with whichever you get.

Jeff

Old 08-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #3

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The Ruger Vaquero is a fine revolver, rugged as a Sherman tank. The Colt SAA is pricey, but, its a COLT. If a Colt is what you desire, then nothing else will do. Since I prefer adjustable sights, I lean toward the Ruger Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk models. I have four Ruger .45 Colt revolvers, two with .45 ACP cylinders. Three of these are set up like Super Blackhawks and two have been case hardened by Doug Turnbull. My favorite pair has one gun in 7 1/2" and one in 4 5/8" barrel lengths. The 7 1/2" gun is approaching 20,000 rounds.

One of my .45's is set up like a Super with 7 1/2" barrel was originally a Bisley model.

If you are so taken with the Colt but object to the price, go with a Uberti copy, but expect to spend $75~$85 fro action work. But then, most Colt's will require the same.

Bob Wright

Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #4

Thanks yazul and Bob for the input!
I have a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag that was my fathers, he purchased it new in 1975, and it is still a fine shooting gun, so I am leaning towards the Vaquero, thinking I’ll also buy reloading dies and brass with the money I save, I also have a Marlin lever action chambered in .45 Colt and a Taurus Judge that I really never shoot.
I hate paying Cabelas prices, but I just got a card in the mail that is good for $150 if I spend $500, so might go get it this weekend.
Thanks again!

Gordo

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 08-12-2010, 03:43 AM   #5

While Colts are fine guns. Rugers are too.
Unless it was a collectors item/investment that was going in a safe I would not pay the hi price of a Colt. Ruger makes great revolvers for a much more reasonable price.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1664 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Opinion Only...

Buy the Ruger AND ammo AND a reloader

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Find an EAA Bounty Hunter. For your price on the Ruger you can get the Bounty Hunter and have Bob Munden do one of his Option 1 action jobs on it. The Bounty Hunter grip frame is virtually identical to a Colt. The difference is in the cylinder, the Bounty Hunter's cylinder is nearly the same diameter as the S&W N-frame (it is available in .44 Magnum) and is longer than the Colt (1.76" with recessed rims). Although it has a flat-spring action like the Colt, it has a transfer bar ignition like the Ruger so you can carry a fully loaded cylinder.

Last edited by crossfire; 08-12-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

This is a collection vs. usage question. If you are going to have this gun primarily stored in your safe, displayed to friends and relatives, by all means get the Colt. If you want a fun replica to shoot and gain proficiency with SA revolvers, buy the Ruger.

Either way, enjoy!