Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Colt - The real truth.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Colt - The real truth.

The following is in response to everyone who sent me a Nastygram about my saying that it was not the market that influenced Colt during the Dark Ages of Clinton and the inaction of gun owners. Reprinted from Colt's own letter to the wholesalers. I hope this puts this argument to bed and serves as a warning to our future if we do nothing.

“October 5th, 1999

Dear Colt Distributor,

Rumors abound in this industry, particularly with regard to our plans concerning product supply. This letter will confirm those plans. Please excuse the impersonal salutation, but we have concentrated on getting this information to you as quickly as possible.

In developing our 2000 business plans and identifying strategic needs beyond 2000, we have had to face the harsh reality of the significant impact which our litigation defense costs are having on our ability to operate competitively in the marketplace.

Accordingly, we have made the decision to consolidate our product lines as follows:

A. Effective immediately, Colt's Manufacturing Co., Inc. will accept no new orders for the following products:

1. Magnum Carry

2. DS II 38 Special

3. Python Elite - I's

4. Anaconda - MM's

5. 380s

6. Pocket Nine

7. 1991 Family

Please note: All standard model variations within the above products are also discontinued, effective immediately.

While these products are being discontinued, we will be reviewing orders in house and will advise each distributor as soon as possible if any of those orders for these products will be affected.

B. Colt's very pleased to advise you that we will continue to manufacture and actively promote the sale of a variety of important handguns which best support and represent the unique value of the Colt Brand. These include:

1. Single Action Army

2. Cowboys

3. Model O's (New XS, Defender, Custom)

Due to the continued escalation of our litigation costs, coupled with our strong desire to maintain a meaningful presence in the handgun segment of the business, the prices of these products will be increased by 6%, effective immediately. All orders currently on hand at Colt's will be honored at the current existing prices.

Our marketing objective is to streamline our handgun line into a smaller, but higher value collection of real Colt 'Classics', which best represent our brand, with much more emphasis on providing custom features and custom appearance for serious gun enthusiasts and shooters and collectors, and those interested in owning a real Colt product of some special value.

Meanwhile we will continue to provide Match Target rifles and are in the final stages of implementing the launch of our new Colt Light Rifle.

We are committed to taking a 'Classic' rather than the 'me too' approach to the future development of our product lines and plan to focus more on what we have been best known for and best for the past 164 years!

We appreciate your patience, understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions, please direct them to your regional Colt Sales Manager, Dave Ridley, or Dave Horn.

Sincerely,

Thomas H. Kilby

Vice President Marketing & Sales

Colt's Manufacturing Co., Inc.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Survivor

Enjoy these pics.

image015.jpg   image014.jpg   image012.jpg   image010.jpg   image008.jpg  

Old 04-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5272 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

thats an old letter which at the time was true. colt is slowly expanding their product lines. there is a new colt production 380 in the pipeline which is a resurrection of the colt mustang. the new Colt SP901 is a totally new rifle for colt as it is chambered in 308nato.

while the letter from the turn of the century(1999) is an interesting item it isnt a set in stone end to new colt models. it just explains some radical decision that were taken to save the company at the time.

kilby is no longer the vp of colt marketing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-15-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
thats an old letter which at the time was true. colt is slowly expanding their product lines. there is a new colt production 380 in the pipeline which is a resurrection of the colt mustang. the new Colt SP901 is a totally new rifle for colt as it is chambered in 308nato.

while the letter from the turn of the century(1999) is an interesting item it isnt a set in stone end to new colt models. it just explains some radical decision that were taken to save the company at the time.

kilby is no longer the vp of colt marketing.
When I quoted this letter in my original post, I was told that it was pure fabrication. You even said "thats an old letter which at the time was true." Did I lie about this? Did I hide the date? Did I mislead anyone about the facts of what happened? I know what happened. I was there. It happened to me not you.

Don't misunderstand, I love Colts. This Colt decision, however, represents a multi-million dollar loss to me personally. I folded up my company because of this letter regardless of what neat new products they're going to offer (I'll probably buy some). This really, really happened and to suggest otherwise is revisionist history.

By the way, Joe Cortabano is no longer at Colt either. Ask him what he thinks.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5272 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwphillips2 View Post
When I quoted this letter in my original post, I was told that it was pure fabrication. You even said "thats an old letter which at the time was true." Did I lie about this? Did I hide the date? Did I mislead anyone about the facts of what happened? I know what happened. I was there. It happened to me not you.

Don't misunderstand, I love Colts. This Colt decision, however, represents a multi-million dollar loss to me personally. I folded up my company because of this letter regardless of what neat new products they're going to offer (I'll probably buy some). This really, really happened and to suggest otherwise is revisionist history.

By the way, Joe Cortabano is no longer at Colt either. Ask him what he thinks.
im not contesting the original veracity of the letter one way or the other. im just saying its a decade old, 1999... if your basing current business decisions based on a decade old form letter you may want to put in a call to colt and talk to whomever is currently running the marketing dept.

surely you stock more than colt products??

maybe im completely missing the meaning of your OP??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Colt Survivor/Defender

I am the inventor of the Colt Survivor/Defender (and the Medusa), a product that Colt had taken orders for over 25,000 units at the previous SHOT Show and was cancelled by this decision. This order represents the most new orders for a new product in Colt history. Colt knows exactly how I feel.

I mentioned this letter as previously re-stated. It should be a warning to all gun owners even if it came from way back in the 1900s.