Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Colt Python

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #31
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7200

OP. Keep this in mind. The gun you have on you when the SHTF is worth more than 1,000 guns at your house in the safe. That being said, if the Python is all you have, carry it. If not, use it for HD, and carry a smaller EDC. If you do carry your Python, keep the chamber under the hammer empty, as there is no transfer bar, if it falls on the hammer, it can go bang.

There are 4 .357s on each of the following permits in my family, Dad, 1 uncle, myself, my wife. One is a 6 inch Dan Wesson 15, a 6 inch Ruger GP100, A Desert Eagle, And a 4 inch Colt Python, which are shared among my family. The only 2 that have ever seen CCing are the Ruger and the Wesson, and that has only been once or twice. The main reason why, we all have semi-autos that are much easier to conceal. Just a personal preference basically.

As to the Python, my grandfather carried it for 22 years on the NYSP, including some CCing while off duty and during investigations. It worked well for his needs, and if called on now would work well for any of us. It still goes to the range with us from time to time, but it is mostly a safe queen now. With more suitable options on the market now, it is just not anyone's first choice for CC. With grandpa gone, we figure that it's time to let that piece enjoy it's own retirement, and just take it out to play from time to time. Not getting rid of it, but it's no longer as needed as it once was.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 06-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #32

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just a thought here......

If S&W, Ruger, Rossi, Taurus...et al.....can produce double action revolvers and turn a profit on them, then why couldn't Colt be able to do the same.....?

Back in the day a blued Python went for about the same price as a S&W model 27, so there's no reason why Colt couldn't bring back the Python and keep it competitive on the market with the S&W Classic Series of revolvers.....

Old 06-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #33

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Yes, Colts design required hand fitting. Colt could concievably redesign a simple to manurfacture revolver, but why bother when plastic autoloaders and ARs are all the rage.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5107 Times on 2657 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuitar View Post
Just a thought here......

If S&W, Ruger, Rossi, Taurus...et al.....can produce double action revolvers and turn a profit on them, then why couldn't Colt be able to do the same.....?

Back in the day a blued Python went for about the same price as a S&W model 27, so there's no reason why Colt couldn't bring back the Python and keep it competitive on the market with the S&W Classic Series of revolvers.....
Because the costs of labor have gone through the roof. With government dictating everyone must have healthcare union costs in producing raw materials insanely high taxes the small profit margin on python hand fitting evaporated and ensures handcrafting production guns isnt going to ever happen again.

The python was the last true hand crafted production gun we will ever see. Thats why they are so coveted. You can still buy hand built guns but you have to order one at astronomical cost and wait sometimes years to get it.

You compare the python to a ruger or sw etc. Handle a python shoot it and you will see that compairing one to one of the mass produced revolvers is like saying mcdonalds hamburgers is the exact same to grilling a burger at home...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-03-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

You compare the python to a ruger or sw etc. Handle a python shoot it and you will see that compairing one to one of the mass produced revolvers is like saying mcdonalds hamburgers is the exact same to grilling a burger at home...
I wasn't comparing the fit, finish, or feel of the Python to the others, trust me I have had the distinct pleasure of shooting a couple different Pythons over the years, I know first hand how well they were made. In today's market I have no doubt they would have to fetch a healthy price, but I just paid close to $1,200.00 for a new blued, 6.5" classic series S&W model-29, I would like to think that Colt could produce the Python and keep it close to that price range.
Ruger revolvers are what they are at the price point they get, as are S&W, and the others I mentioned, I just believe that Colt, if they so desired, could turn a profit from making the Python again. They certainly have a following in the cowboy action / single action revolver market, and those guns have a certain level of hand fit work to them, maybe not as much as the Python did, but they sure as heck aren't cookie cutter production pieces.......

Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5107 Times on 2657 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuitar View Post
I wasn't comparing the fit, finish, or feel of the Python to the others, trust me I have had the distinct pleasure of shooting a couple different Pythons over the years, I know first hand how well they were made. In today's market I have no doubt they would have to fetch a healthy price, but I just paid close to $1,200.00 for a new blued, 6.5" classic series S&W model-29, I would like to think that Colt could produce the Python and keep it close to that price range.
Ruger revolvers are what they are at the price point they get, as are S&W, and the others I mentioned, I just believe that Colt, if they so desired, could turn a profit from making the Python again. They certainly have a following in the cowboy action / single action revolver market, and those guns have a certain level of hand fit work to them, maybe not as much as the Python did, but they sure as heck aren't cookie cutter production pieces.......
most folks in CAS use rugers or ubertis or other colt clones. real colt SAA's even current production dont hold up well to the abuse of CAS shooting. myself i use the ruger new vaquero. it will be going in CAS long after im expired and prolly never need any tuning.

colts because they are so well fitted wear out pretty fast and have to be serviced very frequently. even the python needs frequent service much more so than almost any other handgun. as fine as they are they are pretty delicate in handgun terms.

ive got a python and bring it out a few times a year for a good shooting session. i know that if need to i can send it to colt and they will send it back like new. my python is my only true collector gun i bought solely for that reason. i still shoot it but not often. i dont shoot it much not because of fear of wearing it out but because im not much of a DA revolver fan.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #37

Liked 78 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you need a Python-like revolver get a Korth. It is currently manufactured

Old 06-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #38

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Back in the day Colt Pythons had timing problems. Colt Pythons did not Pre-time they did not lock when at full cock position. The Colt did not lock until ignition. Revolvers used for heavy rapid fire are a natural for timing problems.
It was a problem properly fitting and maintaining the Pre-time cycle. Colts would often lock up during double action firing. They were not that popular for LEOs after they developed a history. Much has been forgotton since the 1960s. They are now mostly collectors guns.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #39

Liked 78 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
Back in the day Colt Pythons had timing problems. Colt Pythons did not Pre-time they did not lock when at full cock position. The Colt did not lock until ignition. Revolvers used for heavy rapid fire are a natural for timing problems.
It was a problem properly fitting and maintaining the Pre-time cycle. Colts would often lock up during double action firing. They were not that popular for LEOs after they developed a history. Much has been forgotton since the 1960s. They are now mostly collectors guns.

I'm not too sure this is the case with all Pythons. I have a '63 Pre Mark III Colt Trooper and a '78 Python and I can go to town shooting DA. no lock ups. The trooper and the Python as far as I'm concerned are equals in the shooting department.
The newer Pythons had some problems,cut corners. Older ones are ok.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #40

Liked 169 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
Florida comes to mind as well, probably a couple more too.
Please to provide the Florida Statute that states that it is a violation.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln