Colt Python - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Colt Python

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1447 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. ZX View Post
I totally agree, but it the gun that is available to me now.
Thanks for the feedback

If you plan to conceal carry your Python, I'd suggest spending some money on a good quality leather shoulder holster, like Bianchi, or consider a custom-made leather rig. The shoulder holster gives you better weight distribution. Leather is strong and supple and will conform somewhat to body contours as it wears in. The Python is a pretty big hogleg to try to hang off a hip.

Last edited by 7point62; 04-23-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #12

Liked 3605 Times on 2059 Posts
Likes Given: 2480

Before choosing your Python as your EDC gun, check gunbroker.com for it's value. My cousin has one and he was amazed at is't value.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #13

Liked 2444 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 557

If there is one available to you. If it is not a safe queen that is in collector condition. If you can carry it and conceal it comfortably. Then it is a fine handgun for defensive use. Bottom line is that defense is still what it was originally designed for and the Python was a good design, and .357 is a fantastic caliber.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #14

Liked 2092 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Sometimes I cc a 4 inch 629 in a leather owb holster. I can carry it all day long with no problem at all. I believe any large caliber wheel gun that you are competent with and is reliable is a viable defense tool. Many people are walking around with a 5 shot 38 special. A 6 shot 357 is a big step up from there.

As far as value goes...how much is your life worth? If I had to save my life of the lives of my family, I would consider the loss of an expensive gun a small price to pay. I dont really expect to ever shoot anyone anyway. Why not get a little enjoyment out of your gun?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6576 Times on 3497 Posts
Likes Given: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Sometimes I cc a 4 inch 629 in a leather owb holster. I can carry it all day long with no problem at all. I believe any large caliber wheel gun that you are competent with and is reliable is a viable defense tool. Many people are walking around with a 5 shot 38 special. A 6 shot 357 is a big step up from there.

As far as value goes...how much is your life worth? If I had to save my life of the lives of my family, I would consider the loss of an expensive gun a small price to pay. I dont really expect to ever shoot anyone anyway. Why not get a little enjoyment out of your gun?
my point was there are perfectly good supremely reliable handguns that arent rare or pricey because of desirability at a fraction of the cost.

its not like if someone breaks into my home and i happen to have my python at hand i wont use it. there are just better options financially if you have the time to plan ahead for need.

plus its damn heavy and pretty hard to conceal. a lot of states have laws on printing the outline of a ccw gun as well.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #16

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If that gun was your only firearm then by all means use it and carry it. But personally if I had other choices, I'd go with something else.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #17

Liked 454 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
If I ran Colt Firearms I'd bring it back into limited production.
So would I. Don't hold your breath. Even though Colt lost their Government contract, they'll be making AR/M4's for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #18

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I wouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. ZX View Post
Is carrying a Colt Python .357 really a good choice for self defense?
Looking for opinions based on experience
In a lot of states after a shooting, they take away your weapon.You may get it back, you may not. I know after using it on a bad guy you probably could care less, but your kids will. I would carry something smaller and less expensive.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #19

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

A Colt Python is a very fine revolver, but as a self defense tool there's no advantage over an S&W 19 or 586/686 at half the price.

Yes, they are very well made and fabulously finished, but their current value reflects a lot of collector value that makes no difference whatsoever as far as self defense is concerned.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #20

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The python was never in competion with a smith and Wesson model 19 or 686. They competed with the model 27 smith and Wesson.
I remember when they were every where and sold for around the same price as a model 27.
I regret not buying at least one.
I never owned one but shot other peoples a few times and find nothing about them superior in fit finish or mechansims to a model 27 so I chose smith and wessons to own saying I would maybe pick up one some time.
Hind sight is 20-20 and I wish I had bought as many as I could.
I truly do not understand why colt don't retool and make double action revolvers again the market is obviously there.
With people willing to pay the crazy prices for the orginals I am sure they could price new ones high as long as they were made as well as the last versions and with the myth of there superiority to a Smith and Wesson many would pay out the nose for one.