Colt Python - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Colt Python

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1505 Times on 755 Posts
Likes Given: 1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. ZX View Post
I totally agree, but it the gun that is available to me now.
Thanks for the feedback

If you plan to conceal carry your Python, I'd suggest spending some money on a good quality leather shoulder holster, like Bianchi, or consider a custom-made leather rig. The shoulder holster gives you better weight distribution. Leather is strong and supple and will conform somewhat to body contours as it wears in. The Python is a pretty big hogleg to try to hang off a hip.

Last edited by 7point62; 04-23-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #12

Liked 3620 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 2520

Before choosing your Python as your EDC gun, check gunbroker.com for it's value. My cousin has one and he was amazed at is't value.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #13

Liked 2484 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 569

If there is one available to you. If it is not a safe queen that is in collector condition. If you can carry it and conceal it comfortably. Then it is a fine handgun for defensive use. Bottom line is that defense is still what it was originally designed for and the Python was a good design, and .357 is a fantastic caliber.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #14

Liked 2155 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

Sometimes I cc a 4 inch 629 in a leather owb holster. I can carry it all day long with no problem at all. I believe any large caliber wheel gun that you are competent with and is reliable is a viable defense tool. Many people are walking around with a 5 shot 38 special. A 6 shot 357 is a big step up from there.

As far as value goes...how much is your life worth? If I had to save my life of the lives of my family, I would consider the loss of an expensive gun a small price to pay. I dont really expect to ever shoot anyone anyway. Why not get a little enjoyment out of your gun?
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6788 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Sometimes I cc a 4 inch 629 in a leather owb holster. I can carry it all day long with no problem at all. I believe any large caliber wheel gun that you are competent with and is reliable is a viable defense tool. Many people are walking around with a 5 shot 38 special. A 6 shot 357 is a big step up from there.

As far as value goes...how much is your life worth? If I had to save my life of the lives of my family, I would consider the loss of an expensive gun a small price to pay. I dont really expect to ever shoot anyone anyway. Why not get a little enjoyment out of your gun?
my point was there are perfectly good supremely reliable handguns that arent rare or pricey because of desirability at a fraction of the cost.

its not like if someone breaks into my home and i happen to have my python at hand i wont use it. there are just better options financially if you have the time to plan ahead for need.

plus its damn heavy and pretty hard to conceal. a lot of states have laws on printing the outline of a ccw gun as well.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #16

Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If that gun was your only firearm then by all means use it and carry it. But personally if I had other choices, I'd go with something else.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #17

Liked 481 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
If I ran Colt Firearms I'd bring it back into limited production.
So would I. Don't hold your breath. Even though Colt lost their Government contract, they'll be making AR/M4's for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #18

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I wouldn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. ZX View Post
Is carrying a Colt Python .357 really a good choice for self defense?
Looking for opinions based on experience
In a lot of states after a shooting, they take away your weapon.You may get it back, you may not. I know after using it on a bad guy you probably could care less, but your kids will. I would carry something smaller and less expensive.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #19

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts

A Colt Python is a very fine revolver, but as a self defense tool there's no advantage over an S&W 19 or 586/686 at half the price.

Yes, they are very well made and fabulously finished, but their current value reflects a lot of collector value that makes no difference whatsoever as far as self defense is concerned.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #20

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The python was never in competion with a smith and Wesson model 19 or 686. They competed with the model 27 smith and Wesson.
I remember when they were every where and sold for around the same price as a model 27.
I regret not buying at least one.
I never owned one but shot other peoples a few times and find nothing about them superior in fit finish or mechansims to a model 27 so I chose smith and wessons to own saying I would maybe pick up one some time.
Hind sight is 20-20 and I wish I had bought as many as I could.
I truly do not understand why colt don't retool and make double action revolvers again the market is obviously there.
With people willing to pay the crazy prices for the orginals I am sure they could price new ones high as long as they were made as well as the last versions and with the myth of there superiority to a Smith and Wesson many would pay out the nose for one.