Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Colt Python (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/colt-python-67790/)

Mouser 07-07-2012 03:43 AM

Colt Python

I have taken an interest recently in possibly aquiring a Colt Python....in researching, it is obvious that some guns have visible cylinder scoring from use.

In terms of use/rounds fired....how many turns before the ring shows up faintly vs. very visably? Is Nickel plating a way to refinish an existing handgun to help minimize the wear marks?

trex1310 07-07-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 861960)
I have taken an interest recently in possibly aquiring a Colt Python....in researching, it is obvious that some guns have visible cylinder scoring from use.

In terms of use/rounds fired....how many turns before the ring shows up faintly vs. very visably? Is Nickel plating a way to refinish an existing handgun to help minimize the wear marks?

I don't believe you can avoid the wear ring on the cylinder. Even a
nickle plated gun will show the drag ring. The only way to minimize
the ring is to never cock or fire the weapon. Refinishing a Colt Python
will destroy its value.

Colt Python 8"
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...t_Python_2.jpg

Intheshop 07-07-2012 11:32 AM

Look at the ring as sort of a "badge of honor".....vs gun being a safe queen.Pythons are an absolute joy to shoot.We have right many Smith's and they are mighty fine....and is what I normally shoot.But Colt's in general have a finer feel to them.One of our Diamondbacks(.38 sp)came from the factory with a lighter single AND dbl action than my #14 Smith which has an action job.My Python is about the same.

Mouser 07-07-2012 01:01 PM

ok...well I have locate one...doesn't show the ring so I take it that it has not seen much use...the seller wants 1550 for it and based on my research, that sounds like a competitive if not good price. 4" Barrel just like I like with the box. Any opinions ?

HOSSFLY 07-07-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 862219)
ok...well I have locate one...doesn't show the ring so I take it that it has not seen much use...the seller wants 1550 for it and based on my research, that sounds like a competitive if not good price. 4" Barrel just like I like with the box. Any opinions ?

In excellant condition thats a fair price-

Olympus 07-07-2012 03:50 PM

With the box, I would say that's about an average price. With Pythons, you usually don't find many "deals".

Overkill0084 07-07-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 861960)

I presume that you are talking about a Royal Blue version?
The drag mark is simply the cost of doing business. If you want to avoid it, buy an unfired safe queen and put it away forever. Otherwise shot & enjoy. Last time I looked, Colt will reblue them for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300. Mine will be going in for it's 50th birthday in a couple years. It has thousands of rounds through it. I figure at 50, it's earned a makeover.
Nickel plating is not a fix for it. I'm certain that Colt no longer does nickel plating (probably haven't for 20 years). Applying an aftermarket nickel plating to what was originally a blued gun will not help it's resale value.
Drag mark visibility/wear? I don't know if anyone's ever tried to quantify it. It's very likely it would vary from gun to gun anyway. They are hand fitted and no two will be fitted identically.
If it bothers you that much, find a stainless one and buff off the mark occasionally.

fireguy 07-07-2012 04:50 PM

There is a LNIB Python for $1200 here in KS on armslist. I would jump on it if it was blue. It is a stainless. Part of the appeal of the Python to me is the rich color of the blue on it. I already have a couple of stainless guns, don't need an icon just like them.

Don Davis 07-07-2012 06:03 PM

I wish it weren't so, but

If you shoot a Python ... it'll have drag marks on it.

All brands of revolvers that I used have had them.

I love Pythons ... I don't currently own one ....

But I wish I did :D

Price sounds about right to me.

:cool:

Olympus 07-07-2012 11:02 PM

To get away from the turn lines on the cylinder, the best option is to get a stainless or Bright Stainless version. Then they can simply be polished back out again and you're good as new.