Colt python - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Colt python

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Just plan on paying a premium and plan on defending your decision with people who will tell you that they're overpriced and that their S&W is just as good for half the price.
ive had people give me that spiel at the range before. i let them dry fire it and then fire it with ammo and not one has repeated that mantra after trying out a python.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." ó L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #12

Liked 1244 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 792

my uncle has 2. when i first got my pistol permit he offered one of them to me for 350.. i didnt have the cash laying around and then lost interest in it for a bit. i went back and he said th eprice had gone up.. way up.... its probly about 97 98 percent. with a nice set of custom grips. for my friend he says 900 for me i bet i could still get it at 700. after all i my uncle was almost like my dad
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

one other thing. i contacted colt a while back in regards to servicing my python should it need it and they said they will service and repair it. so im not worried in the slightest should i need to have it re-tuned or a broken part replaced.

its easy to tell if a python needs tuning. pull the hammer back hold it with your thumb and pull the trigger and hold it back, while doing that try and rotate the cylinder. if it moves it should be serviced as the pawl or arm part is starting to wear. replacing the pawl or arm thing is cheap having the whole thing reworked is pricey.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." ó L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-15-2011, 02:05 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

This gun ended up getting taken from me in a burglary, luckily it was recovered about six months later in the trunk of a car, problem was the poor thing had some surface rust and it made me cry. I sent it back to Colt I had them apply electroless nickel finish and they sent it back to me free of charge. Got to love Colt. I do miss the royal bluing but the rust putting was to extensive to re-blue it.
image-710576417.jpg  

Old 12-15-2011, 03:26 AM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Back in the mid 80's I was really wanting a Python. But, like now, I couldn't afford it. I ended up with a S&W 686 6". I'm still happy with that, but would still like to get a Colt.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #16

I have a NIB 6Ē Colt Python with Ellison Sights that I purchased in 1980. I also have a S&W Model 19-3 that is a fine gun but IMHO, it does not compare to the Python. This opinion is strictly based on working the action and observation of the fit and finish of both revolvers.

My plan was to shoot the Python when it was purchased but I decided to keep it for investment purposes. It tuned out to be a good decision since, as you know, the Python is no longer produced. Itís sad to see the passing of fine craftsmanship in the USA.

I recently purchased Cocobolo grips from Altamont and plan on building a lightbox to take pictures of my guns. I also purchased the shop manual on Colt revolvers by Jerry Kuhnhausen to learn more about the Pythonís internals.

The Python commands a premium but like other guns with fame, prestige, and mystic, many are willing to pay it.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1469 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Great gun, a classic.

BTW woody that is the nastiest freakin avatar...and i don't even know what it is.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62
Great gun, a classic.

BTW woody that is the nastiest freakin avatar...and i don't even know what it is.
It's my stomach thanks alot

Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #19

I have just located a Python like new condition and affordable after seeing many of these $1500 and up I'm going to buy it. I was wondering what a .22 diamondback in like new condition would be worth.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #20

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Great gun, a classic.

Thats bad but not as bad as mr Tyler Durdens