Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Colt python (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/colt-python-53567/)

woody63m 12-14-2011 04:13 AM

Colt python

Really want a colt python does anybody have any info on them

trip286 12-14-2011 04:35 AM

Info on what exactly?

Many people "hear" that the lock work is a bit fragile, but many owners I've talked to say that's BS.

As far as where to buy one near you, I don't know anything about that. Prices seem to range regularly (not counting the cheapest I've seen, or the most expensive) $750-$1200, depending on options and finish.

By the way, I've seen one go for $550 (cheapest) and one go for $3500. These are obviously the extremes.

lastcast 12-14-2011 04:47 AM

Python .357

Greetings:
Before I retired from the force, I carried a Colt Python .357, 4" in the Chicago Ghettos for 40 years.
When I got on the job I payed $152.00 for it. I very seldom pulled it since I also carried a .45 Colt Commander on my hip and a .38 snub on my ankle. Those I did fire at douchbags.

My Python is is as clean as the day I bought it and I still have the original box in mint condition, also have the target from factory showing it was zeroed in and what date. Have original receipt also. Bluing perfect and grips also perfect.

Lot's of great memories carrying that fine gun, an awful lot!!! Don't think I could buy it now for $152.00, LOL ;);)

Regards: Lastcast,,,Ranger Recon,,,Class of 67.

HOSSFLY 12-14-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastcast (Post 651549)
Greetings:
Before I retired from the force, I carried a Colt Python .357, 4" in the Chicago Ghettos for 40 years.
When I got on the job I payed $152.00 for it. I very seldom pulled it since I also carried a .45 Colt Commander on my hip and a .38 snub on my ankle. Those I did fire at douchbags.

My Python is is as clean as the day I bought it and I still have the original box in mint condition, also have the target from factory showing it was zeroed in and what date. Have original receipt also. Bluing perfect and grips also perfect.

Lot's of great memories carrying that fine gun, an awful lot!!! Don't think I could buy it now for $152.00, LOL ;);)

Regards: Lastcast,,,Ranger Recon,,,Class of 67.

Be happy to give you 100% of your investment back :rolleyes: :D

JonM 12-14-2011 12:23 PM

Well im not a revolver fan but ive got a python and i love it. Highly recomend them. Ive never had an problems with it its super accurate and the action is like nothing you have ever tried. They get compaired to sw guns a lot but thats like trying to say a ford mustang is in the same class as a rolls royce.

Overkill0084 12-14-2011 12:23 PM

The Python I inherited has many thousands of rounds through it. It is a was built in 1965 and was a duty carry and PPC for a number of years. In the 80s it became a silhouette gun. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it needed the timing adjusted once long before I came into possession. I replaced a hammer spring last year. Not a terribly large body of work.

Firearms4ever 12-14-2011 12:41 PM

Olympus 12-14-2011 02:43 PM

I have a couple. One is a safe queen and the other is a shooter. Simply amazing guns. But you are essentially paying a premium for the name and the prestige of the words. "Colt" and "Python".

Many people will say that a good older S&W is just as good or can be made just as good as a Python. Simply not true. This statement is usually made by people who can't justify the additional cost of a Python. I have lots of older Smiths and I LOVE them all dearly. I'm not a fan of Colt over S&W or vise versa. But as nice as the older S&Ws are, they are not in the same class as a Python.

But now that the prestige of the Python and value continues to increase, I find that my shooter grade Python is spending more time the safe as well. I picked up a Performance Center S&W that I find very close to the quality of my shooter Python and I know I can easily replace it if I wear it out or tear it up since they are still being made.

I think everybody should own at least one Python at one point in there life though. Just plan on paying a premium and plan on defending your decision with people who will tell you that they're overpriced and that their S&W is just as good for half the price.

Overkill0084 12-14-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 651706)
I picked up a Performance Center S&W that I find very close to the quality of my shooter Python and I know I can easily replace it if I wear it out or tear it up since they are still being made.

Quoted for truth.
The S&W PC revolvers are pretty close. Not worrying where you can find parts is a huge bonus.

NativH 12-14-2011 06:17 PM

I have a 4" Python which I carry on those few times I carry a revolver. I also have a 629 Classic S&W 44 Mag that gets carried when hunting or walking in snake country (ratshot). The Colt is just a super well built weapon with incredible tolerances. The S&W, and I know this is pretty much just a standard S&W, is also a very nice pistol. ANd at about half the price of the Python, it is a great gun. But hold, shoot, carry a Python for a few days and you will understand why they are so revered.