Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Colt Python .357

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just looked at my uncle's Colt Anaconda and Python tonight. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! super

Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Love my Colts

I bought my Python new in 1967 Ser# in the 56000's

TGR

Old 03-21-2010, 02:42 AM   #13

Liked 4674 Times on 2260 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGReaper View Post
I bought my Python new in 1967 Ser# in the 56000's

TGR
So...

Colt would have had to produce 8000 Pythons between 1967 and 1969 for the one I'm looking at to be 60's vinatage...Hmm...
Think I'll call Colt customer service monday morning for the production date window on the 64000 SN guns.

Thanks Reaper.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #14

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Okay....but I wouldn't let it get away!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't want to be a buzz killer and I'm not bashing the Python, I'd buy it by the way, but I just can't get excited about Colt revolvers. I know the Python and Anaconda and would buy either since their value will only go up. I just can't stand Colt's cylinder release and I can't see anything they have over my Smiths. Am I missing something?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I don't want to be a buzz killer and I'm not bashing the Python, I'd buy it by the way, but I just can't get excited about Colt revolvers. Am I missing something?
YES.

Python, Anaconda, and King Cobra will eat a perpetual diet of magnum loads and not experience ill-effects, unlike S&W. The cylinder release is nothing more than getting used to it, just like you did with the S&W.

I love S&W's and I own many. I also own several Colts... guess which ones' get shot most often with hot-magnum loads?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
YES.

Python, Anaconda, and King Cobra will eat a perpetual diet of magnum loads and not experience ill-effects, unlike S&W. The cylinder release is nothing more than getting used to it, just like you did with the S&W.

I love S&W's and I own many. I also own several Colts... guess which ones' get shot most often with hot-magnum loads?

Not so sure I agree with that assesment Mark. Smith's are well known for being able to eat lots and lots of ammo without any ill effects. the 686 is a classic example of that (imo) and of course the Mod. 19 and 29's

I do agree with you on the cyclinder release though. It's just one of the hallmarks of a Colt. Very unique to them..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 03-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #18

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Not so sure I agree with that assesment Mark. Smith's are well known for being able to eat lots and lots of ammo without any ill effects. the 686 is a classic example of that (imo) and of course the Mod. 19 and 29's

I do agree with you on the cyclinder release though. It's just one of the hallmarks of a Colt. Very unique to them..
The 19/66 are known not to be able to handle a steady diet of the light hot .357 loads. The Colts are not affected and you can shoot all the 125 gr you want...

Old 03-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
YES.

What about Ruger?

I don't feed my S&W 19 any light magnums but it loves 158gr. Haven't had my 629 long enough to say but all I feed it is magnums.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I don't want to be a buzz killer and I'm not bashing the Python, I'd buy it by the way, but I just can't get excited about Colt revolvers. I know the Python and Anaconda and would buy either since their value will only go up. I just can't stand Colt's cylinder release and I can't see anything they have over my Smiths. Am I missing something?
No argument that a Colt MK III coil spring action is inferior in trigger smoothness in comparison to an S&W trigger pull. The debate between Smith vs. Colt however extended back to the days when Colts had leaf mainsprings. The trigger pull was different. There was a phenomena called loading, i.e., is the force required to work the action constant, or does it change as the trigger moves. Many shooters considered the old Colts to have smoother trigger pulls especially when doing 25 yard target shooting. Around the same time as Colt decided to go with cheaper coil springs S&W was working on smoothing out their trigger actions. The debate is not about how your new Colt stacks up against a new S&W. Nor is it about who's factory sights are nicer. Colt has conceded the debate by virtually abandoning the field. The debate was about the older guns. Which was nicer to shoot, a Colt Shooting Master in .38 or an S&W 38/44? An Official Police or a Victory Model? Each had adherents for varied reasons. Enclosed ejector rod vs. exposed, etc. When modern police departments dropped the revolvers and went with DA 9mms from other manufacturers Colt turned their back on all pistoleros, ignored them and focused on plastic rifles instead. In today's world the debate is S&W vs. Ruger vs. Llama vs. Taurus, et al.

If you want to compare a Python to a Smith & Wesson pistol the only equivalently sized S&W .357 was the model 19 of the same year's manufacture. L frames aren't in that running as the frame is different. Most people who have shot and handled both the 19-1 or 19-2 and the older Pythons will vote for the Python.

Last edited by superc; 03-21-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added words