Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Colt Python .357 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/colt-python-357-a-24904/)

Tackleberry1 03-20-2010 03:11 PM

Colt Python .357

Need some advice from you revolver guru's. I'm looking to expand my handgun collection and yesterday I came accross a blued colt python .375 w/6" barrel. The gun looks to have the original colt wood stocks, and finish is 90%.
The SN has no Letter in front of the number and is in the 64000 range. My dealer tells me he took it in on trade from a kid who inherited it and swapped it for a auto...
Dealer also told me that being "pre letter" and in the 64000 range make it a mid to late 1960's production run. "I love tight old guns with a little wear".
No box or paperwork and the dealer is asking $695.00. The price seems fair to me but I'm new to revolvers and just don't know if I'm looking at a great deal, a fair deal, or what?:confused:

Any advice on the value of this purchase would be appreciated...

NGIB 03-20-2010 03:19 PM

They are probably the prettiest revolvers ever built. My Dad had 2 of them and I used to just admire them. Two things of note - Pythons are kind of "delicate" and finding a smith to work on them is difficult. I suspect most Pythons sit in display cases versus being shot for these reasons. Yeah, I'd probably grab it for that price...

canebrake 03-20-2010 03:23 PM

Bad choice! Would you buy the puppy and send it to me? I'm the only one that knows how to fix it.

On a serious note, you could, depending on the condition, flip this for $1,000 +.

I have been searching for a Python to complete my 'bucket list' and it sounds like you may have a real find.

Canebrake says, "Buy it!" You will be hard pressed to find a higher quality vintage .357 Mag than the storied Colt Python! If it turns out that you don't like it I will take it off your hands for your purchase price + shipping to me.

There's a deal you'd be hard to pass-up.

lonyaeger 03-20-2010 03:24 PM

I ordered directly from Colt in 1993 a Python with 6-inch barrel in Bright Stainless finish. I paid $903 back then. Unfortunate boating accident. I'd hate to think what one would go for now. :(

If you don't buy it....I WILL!

Mark F 03-20-2010 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just plain beautiful...

TheOldMan 03-20-2010 04:44 PM

There was never a better looking finish than that Colt Royal Blue.

By all means, BUY IT!!

superc 03-20-2010 05:26 PM

Buy it! Don't even haggle over it.

Pythons were made on the Official Police frame, but received special polishing and attention to internal parts fitting, adjustable sights were added and zeroed, then blued with the Royal Blue. Colt made the Python for decades, but unquestionably the ones dating from the 60s are amongst the nicest. Back then the NYPD was a .38 only PD but owning a Python was every officer's dream. Several NY cops I knew in 70s owned a Python and/or carried the Diamondback 38 variant. It wasn't at all unusual to hear of one being taken deer hunting. Colt quality started slipping in the 70s and while they have made numerous efforts to regain lost ground, the efforts were spotty at best. Pre 70s Pythons are amongst the most enjoyable of guns to shoot, carry, or just look at.

It should be noted that one time Colt ran an armorers school for pistol smiths. If enough sales were made by a dealership Colt would extend them an invitation to become a warranty repair station. The dealer's Gunsmiths would pay to go there then upon graduation be issued special tools and a pretty little window sign declaring them to be an authorized Colt repair facility. I believe the program ended back in the 80s as Colt had decided to focus on the M-16 rather than compete with S&W. The only drawback to shooting a Python (or any Colt revolver) a lot (as in 4,000 rounds or so) was the revolver timing hand would eventually wear down, and that is when you would bring it to the warranty station to have a new hand fitted and the gun retimed, then it was good for another 4,000 rounds or so.

freefall 03-20-2010 05:44 PM

Wish I could find a deal like that.

Glasshartt 03-20-2010 07:03 PM

Too bad they don't well them at Wal-mart anymore.

Wambli 03-21-2010 12:22 AM

One of the most BEAUTIFUL handguns ever made. I LOVE mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...i/DSC05503.jpg

Price seems fair, I'd buy it. Heck the grips on that gun alone are worth a few hundred dollars.