Colt Peacemaker .22 Mag Cylinder - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Colt Peacemaker .22 Mag Cylinder


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

It sounds like someone bought a 22 wmr cylinder for the gun but never mated the cylinder to the gun. Each new cylinder has to be hand fitted to the gun. There are a set of clearances. I would have a feeler gauge/dial indicator in hand and call S&W tech support. You might have to call more than once to get a helpful technician. Keep calling back until you get or find the needed data. If you don't feel comfortable fitting the cylinder take it to a gunsmith. That would be a good job to start a relationship with a talented gunsmith.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 209
Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
It sounds like someone bought a 22 wmr cylinder for the gun but never mated the cylinder to the gun. Each new cylinder has to be hand fitted to the gun. There are a set of clearances. I would have a feeler gauge/dial indicator in hand and call S&W tech support. You might have to call more than once to get a helpful technician. Keep calling back until you get or find the needed data. If you don't feel comfortable fitting the cylinder take it to a gunsmith. That would be a good job to start a relationship with a talented gunsmith.
John, the gun I have is a Colt Peacemaker and the the Magnum cylinder actually came with the gun I believe. I could be misstaking but since my grandfather passed the gun down to us in its orginal Colt box and has never been fired, it has lead me to this conclusion.

I did do some research on Colts website to see if they would address the problem but I found out I would have to ship it from an FFL and that it was probably not going to be under warranty. So, it looks like I will be bringing it to a local gunsmith.
jcd390 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hiwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleator,AZ
Posts: 3,569
Liked 841 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Default

jcd390, the reason I won't help anymore is that at this point metal has to be removed from that cylinder. Once removed that metal can not be put back. Without a hands-on inspection, I don't want to tell you to start removing metal and maybe screw it up(thru no fault of yours).
__________________
Just walking on the edge of of my grave.
hiwall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 209
Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
jcd390, the reason I won't help anymore is that at this point metal has to be removed from that cylinder. Once removed that metal can not be put back. Without a hands-on inspection, I don't want to tell you to start removing metal and maybe screw it up(thru no fault of yours).
Hiwall, I completely understand and thank you for your help. I am just not sure how much it is going to be worth to have the Magnum cylinder fixed. I mostly shot the .22lr cylinder anyway so, if I have to spend a lot of money of fixing something that I don't already use, it might just not get fixed.
jcd390 is offline  
hiwall Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd390 View Post
Hiwall, I completely understand and thank you for your help. I am just not sure how much it is going to be worth to have the Magnum cylinder fixed. I mostly shot the .22lr cylinder anyway so, if I have to spend a lot of money of fixing something that I don't already use, it might just not get fixed.
Regardless of who made the gun it has a set of fixed clearances. If the clearances are not in the specified range it needs repair. A competent gunsmith will fit a cylinder for around $60. I looked up your peacemaker and colt did make exactly what you describe starting around 1957. I am unable to find anything definitive due to a lack of information.

You might be just as happy not having it fixed. I have a heritage with a 22 wmr cylinder. I haven't fired a 100 rounds through the 22 WMR cylinder while I have fired thousands of rounds through the 22LR cylinder. Even with the 9" barrel the 22 WMR is pretty lame compared to the performance the 22 mag delivers from a rifle.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-06-2012 at 03:49 PM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Edge of Darkness
Posts: 6,495
Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Default

The Colt dual cylinder is a collectors item even with wear. I would follow HiWalls advice on repairs. This can not be compared to one of the bargain basement import "Cowboy" guns.
nitestalker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Colt .22 peacemaker elfmdl Revolver Handguns 6 10-06-2012 07:15 AM
Help dating Colt peacemaker Sw0rdfish Revolver Handguns 8 02-15-2012 03:54 AM
Colt peacemaker Ambrola General Handgun Discussion 19 07-23-2011 11:28 PM
Pricing - Colt Peacemaker 45 1895 notdku General Handgun Discussion 8 10-15-2010 04:52 AM
colt peacemaker 22 mark1945 Revolver Handguns 2 07-02-2007 01:13 PM



Newest Threads