Colt Peacemaker .22 Mag Cylinder - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Colt Peacemaker .22 Mag Cylinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

It sounds like someone bought a 22 wmr cylinder for the gun but never mated the cylinder to the gun. Each new cylinder has to be hand fitted to the gun. There are a set of clearances. I would have a feeler gauge/dial indicator in hand and call S&W tech support. You might have to call more than once to get a helpful technician. Keep calling back until you get or find the needed data. If you don't feel comfortable fitting the cylinder take it to a gunsmith. That would be a good job to start a relationship with a talented gunsmith.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #22

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
It sounds like someone bought a 22 wmr cylinder for the gun but never mated the cylinder to the gun. Each new cylinder has to be hand fitted to the gun. There are a set of clearances. I would have a feeler gauge/dial indicator in hand and call S&W tech support. You might have to call more than once to get a helpful technician. Keep calling back until you get or find the needed data. If you don't feel comfortable fitting the cylinder take it to a gunsmith. That would be a good job to start a relationship with a talented gunsmith.
John, the gun I have is a Colt Peacemaker and the the Magnum cylinder actually came with the gun I believe. I could be misstaking but since my grandfather passed the gun down to us in its orginal Colt box and has never been fired, it has lead me to this conclusion.

I did do some research on Colts website to see if they would address the problem but I found out I would have to ship it from an FFL and that it was probably not going to be under warranty. So, it looks like I will be bringing it to a local gunsmith.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #23

Liked 841 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 256

jcd390, the reason I won't help anymore is that at this point metal has to be removed from that cylinder. Once removed that metal can not be put back. Without a hands-on inspection, I don't want to tell you to start removing metal and maybe screw it up(thru no fault of yours).

Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #24

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
jcd390, the reason I won't help anymore is that at this point metal has to be removed from that cylinder. Once removed that metal can not be put back. Without a hands-on inspection, I don't want to tell you to start removing metal and maybe screw it up(thru no fault of yours).
Hiwall, I completely understand and thank you for your help. I am just not sure how much it is going to be worth to have the Magnum cylinder fixed. I mostly shot the .22lr cylinder anyway so, if I have to spend a lot of money of fixing something that I don't already use, it might just not get fixed.
hiwall Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #25

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd390 View Post
Hiwall, I completely understand and thank you for your help. I am just not sure how much it is going to be worth to have the Magnum cylinder fixed. I mostly shot the .22lr cylinder anyway so, if I have to spend a lot of money of fixing something that I don't already use, it might just not get fixed.
Regardless of who made the gun it has a set of fixed clearances. If the clearances are not in the specified range it needs repair. A competent gunsmith will fit a cylinder for around $60. I looked up your peacemaker and colt did make exactly what you describe starting around 1957. I am unable to find anything definitive due to a lack of information.

You might be just as happy not having it fixed. I have a heritage with a 22 wmr cylinder. I haven't fired a 100 rounds through the 22 WMR cylinder while I have fired thousands of rounds through the 22LR cylinder. Even with the 9" barrel the 22 WMR is pretty lame compared to the performance the 22 mag delivers from a rifle.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-06-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #26

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Colt dual cylinder is a collectors item even with wear. I would follow HiWalls advice on repairs. This can not be compared to one of the bargain basement import "Cowboy" guns.