Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Colt Peacemaker .22 Mag Cylinder (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/colt-peacemaker-22-mag-cylinder-77681/)

jcd390 12-04-2012 01:47 PM

Colt Peacemaker .22 Mag Cylinder
 
Okay guys, I have a problem with my Colt Peacemaker .22 Mag Cylinder. Whenever I place the Mag Cylinder in, the gun doesn't not want to cycle as well as the .22 cylinder. Sometimes it works great and then at other times it want locks up and you have to force the cylinder to rotate. I am not sure what is going and I really didn't want to bring it to a gunsmith without asking for help first. So has anyone ever had any problems like this or have any suggestions that might help? Oh yeah, even cycling the cylinder with the gate open, it will occansionally become tough to turn. Note: the gun was passed down to me from my Grandfather and has never been shot so I am not sure if it just needs some break in. Thanks and I hope I explained the problem well enough.....:o

nitestalker 12-04-2012 02:41 PM

You left out the most important parts of this. Is the gun loaded or empty? Does this happen during shooting? Are the empty cases hard to eject? Is the case heads rims jamming against the recoil plate?:confused:

HOSSFLY 12-04-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcd390 (Post 1038304)
Okay guys, I have a problem with my Colt Peacemaker .22 Mag Cylinder. Whenever I place the Mag Cylinder in, the gun doesn't not want to cycle as well as the .22 cylinder. Sometimes it works great and then at other times it want locks up and you have to force the cylinder to rotate. I am not sure what is going and I really didn't want to bring it to a gunsmith without asking for help first. So has anyone ever had any problems like this or have any suggestions that might help? Oh yeah, even cycling the cylinder with the gate open, it will occansionally become tough to turn. Note: the gun was passed down to me from my Grandfather and
Quote:

has never been shot
so I am not sure if it just needs some break in. Thanks and I hope I explained the problem well enough.....:o

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1038342)
You left out the most important parts of this. Is the gun loaded or empty? Does this happen during shooting? Are the empty cases hard to eject? Is the case heads rims jamming against the recoil plate?:confused:

You read worse than me :p
BUT he does need to say if loaded (i doubt it tho)
The "once in awhile" throws me if its always unloaded----

Marlinman 12-04-2012 03:14 PM

Sounds to me like its a) out of timing on the mag cylinder b) the frame isn't opened up enough for said cylinder. That said we need to know if its loaded.

Marlinman 12-04-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1038359)

You read worse than me :p
BUT he does need to say if loaded (i doubt it tho)
The "once in awhile" throws me if its always unloaded----

Might be he's dry firing it.......and when did you learn to read hoss???

jcd390 12-04-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1038342)
You left out the most important parts of this. Is the gun loaded or empty? Does this happen during shooting? Are the empty cases hard to eject? Is the case heads rims jamming against the recoil plate?:confused:

The gun is not loaded and it happens whenever you open the gate and spend the cylinder or whenever you cock the gun and lower the hammer, not dry firing just lowering the hammer with my thumb on it. I am concerned about shooting it until I get this worked out. Thanks

danf_fl 12-04-2012 03:27 PM

You're dry firing a .22?
Peening on the cylinder occurs and the firing pin will get ruined.

Check the pawl (hand). The .22 Mag no longer mates good with it.

hiwall 12-04-2012 03:41 PM

If the gun functions fine with the regular 22 LR cylinder then the gun itself is OK. The problem is in the 22 mag cylinder only. I would guess that it is 1 or 2 thousandths to long. Could have a burr and then tight on the cylinder pin(maybe).

jcd390 12-04-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcd390 (Post 1038367)
not dry firing just lowering the hammer with my thumb on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1038379)
You're dry firing a .22?

Nope, not dry firing.

jcd390 12-04-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 1038399)
If the gun functions fine with the regular 22 LR cylinder then the gun itself is OK. The problem is in the 22 mag cylinder only. I would guess that it is 1 or 2 thousandths to long. Could have a burr and then tight on the cylinder pin(maybe).

The gun does function fine with the regular 22lr cylinder.

If it is 1 or 2/1000 too long, what are my options?

Also, what do you mean I could have a burr and then tight on the cylinder pin? :confused:


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.