Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Colt New Service?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Colt New Service?

I have been planning on getting another handgun for awhile now. I was going to get something like a double action 44 Mag, but the prices are a little high for me right now (just started a new job). Something else caught my eye though.

It's a Stainless Colt New Service chambered in 44-40 with a 5.5" barrel. It's not in perfect shape, but it's still pretty good. The bore is very nice, the grips are good, and the metal has a few blemishes here and there, but they could probably be polished out pretty easily. The front sight (fixed) is slightly bent, but that could be fixed relatively easily couldn't it?

They are wanting $350 for it (I'd have to pay shipping plus $20 for the transfer fee). Is this a good deal? Would I be better off finding something else? How powerful is 44-40 vs .357 mag or 44 mag?

What I'm wanting is just a fun range gun with a little oomph to it that will put a lot of lead down range. Ammo cost does not matter much since I reload, and plan to reload for what ever caliber I get.

Thanks.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 10-07-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well--it's not stainless. They never made the New Service in stainless, so it's
plated. Probably nickel. If it's factory plated that's a plus, but I'm going to guess
it's a re-finish. Worth $350? Probably---if you want it buy it. 44-40 ammo is
getting more common because of the cowboy action bunch. Slight bottleneck
case and thin brass, it can be a bit of a pain to reload but not too bad.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Well--it's not stainless. They never made the New Service in stainless, so it's
plated. Probably nickel. If it's factory plated that's a plus, but I'm going to guess
it's a re-finish. Worth $350? Probably---if you want it buy it. 44-40 ammo is
getting more common because of the cowboy action bunch. Slight bottleneck
case and thin brass, it can be a bit of a pain to reload but not too bad.
I think your probably right about the finish. I just learned a little history about the gun (which makes me want it more), and realized they stopped making these in 1946. They didn't even make stainless guns back then did they?

I cannot tell if it's nickel plated, or if all the blue is simply worn off. If I buy it, it would be as a shooter not a collectable so it being original doesn't really matter too much to me.

Here's the gun.

I have experience converting 32-20 (also thin) to 7.62 Nagant, so I don't think 44-40 would be too much of a problem.

Any ideas on fixing the front sight? Would I be able to just bend it back? I can't tell from the pic, but I think it's only bent a little out of place.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

If you try to bend the front sight back, I imagine your accuracy will be permanently slightly off, especially out past seven yards or so. I don't know that, though. Just making it up as I go.

Personally I say ask for it for like $275 because of the front sight issue, and then barter from there. Maybe you can get it for an even $300? That'd be cool, if you ask me.

Always have clean socks.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #5

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If those are the grips on the gun, and they are real stag, as they look to be, the grips alone are worth over $150 00.

I'd buy it for that price in a heartbeat, and wouldn't think twice. The Colt New Service is a nice gun.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19876 Times on 11289 Posts
Likes Given: 50111

TWW, Hornady makes ammo for this caliber if interested. hare are some ballistics comparisons from their website to get an idea of what the 44-40 is about.

looks like a cool looking pistol and might be a nice shooter.

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-40-205-gr-Cowboy/

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-158-gr-XTP/

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Special-180-gr-XTP/

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Mag-200-gr-XTP/

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-200-gr-XTP/

Old 10-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Most gun shops carry 44-40 ultramax ammo. Every now and then I end up with a box of 44 spl ultramax ammo. I usually end up using a 20 penny nail to get the spent brass out of the cylinder of my super blackhawk. Maybe you will have better luck with low pressure 44-40 ultramax ammo.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What's the serial number? It appears to be an early model flat latch gun. Something
about the front sight shape looks a bit off, but it's hard to see. Bending the front sight--
shoot it first. It might be bent for a reason.

I've got a 1913 5.5" New Service in 38-40. Fun gun. IIRC the mainspring out of a
Trooper fit right in mine, and reduced the trigger pull to something tolerable.

I put a ramp front sight on mine, and had it machined to take a S&W
revolver adjustable rear sight.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
What's the serial number? It appears to be an early model flat latch gun. Something
about the front sight shape looks a bit off, but it's hard to see. Bending the front sight--
shoot it first. It might be bent for a reason.

I've got a 1913 5.5" New Service in 38-40. Fun gun. IIRC the mainspring out of a
Trooper fit right in mine, and reduced the trigger pull to something tolerable.

I put a ramp front sight on mine, and had it machined to take a S&W
revolver adjustable rear sight.
No idea what the serial number is. The front sight may look a bit off because it is slightly bent. I pulled up a pic of another one, and they look pretty close. Thanks for the info on the spring.

I'll be sure to shoot it before I do anything with the sight.

How strong are these guns? Would they be able to handle a reasonably stout load ok, or should I stick to light loads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
If you try to bend the front sight back, I imagine your accuracy will be permanently slightly off, especially out past seven yards or so. I don't know that, though. Just making it up as I go.

Personally I say ask for it for like $275 because of the front sight issue, and then barter from there. Maybe you can get it for an even $300? That'd be cool, if you ask me.
I'll have to ask them about the price.

Why would bending the sight back cause it to be off? Is it something a gunsmith, or someone good with tools could correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
If those are the grips on the gun, and they are real stag, as they look to be, the grips alone are worth over $150 00.

I'd buy it for that price in a heartbeat, and wouldn't think twice. The Colt New Service is a nice gun.
The grips are polymer unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
TWW, Hornady makes ammo for this caliber if interested. hare are some ballistics comparisons from their website to get an idea of what the 44-40 is about.

looks like a cool looking pistol and might be a nice shooter.

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-40-205-gr-Cowboy/

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-158-gr-XTP/

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Special-180-gr-XTP/

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Mag-200-gr-XTP/

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-200-gr-XTP/
Thanks.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 10-08-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Most gun shops carry 44-40 ultramax ammo. Every now and then I end up with a box of 44 spl ultramax ammo. I usually end up using a 20 penny nail to get the spent brass out of the cylinder of my super blackhawk. Maybe you will have better luck with low pressure 44-40 ultramax ammo.
Just checked the price on some.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/465875/ultramax-cowboy-action-ammunition-44-40-wcf-200-grain-lead-flat-nose-box-of-50

I think I'll stick to reloading. Thanks though.