Colt Model 1901
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Colt Model 1901

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt Model 1901

I recently purchased a Colt "New Army" Model 1901 DA38, and located some .38 Long Colt lead ball ammo from Black Hills Ammunition. I've only put a couple of rounds through it but noticed that the timing must be a hair off. There was just a tiny sliver of lead deposited on the left side of the "receiving end" end of the barrel. A gunsmith said that he might (or might not) be able to tighten it up a little. Any thoughts on how safe it is to shoot, as is?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I wouldn't shoot an out of time revolver at all - you'll just do more damage. One of the problems with Colt revolvers is that many gunsmiths do not have the necessary expertise to repair them properly. Send it back to Colt and it will be fixed right...

Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I could not agree more with Dave, ship that puppy back to Colt's Manufacturing Company:

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC

Save the old warriors!

Shooting this revolver as-is will decrease it's value and may shorten your life!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #4

Canebrake -

That link to Colt seems to be broke. Could you recommend anyone else who is good at working on Colts?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurryin' Hoosier View Post
Canebrake -

That link to Colt seems to be broke. Could you recommend anyone else who is good at working on Colts?
Google can be your friend. Colt is the only folks I'd trust with a pre-80s Colt revolver. It took all of 10 seconds to find this page...

http://www.coltsmfg.com/custom-q10047-FIREARM_REPAIR.aspx

Last edited by NGIB; 12-30-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 AM   #6

I know. Did you click on "Customer Service"? It's dead.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

They are experiencing a "technical difficulty" issue with the web page. With the holiday, I would try again next week.

+1 on not shooting until repaired. +10 on having Colt do the work.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
They are experiencing a "technical difficulty" issue with the web page. With the holiday, I would try again next week.

+1 on not shooting until repaired. +10 on having Colt do the work.
Yeah, I'm hoping that they'll have their site squared away next week. If not, I'll call their toll-free number. I really love that old war-horse and would like to get it safe to shoot.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Google can be your friend. Colt is the only folks I'd trust with a pre-80s Colt revolver. It took all of 10 seconds to find this page...

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC
I finally managed to get through to Colt's customer service folks, today, and was informed that they (Colt) no longer offer service on Colt revolvers which are this old. The lady I spoke to said that they had discontinued that service since replacement parts are so hard to come by, which I thought sounded odd. At any rate, she suggested that I contact a gunsmith up in Churubusco, Indiana, which I did, and my 1901 is now winging her way north via UPS. Hopefully the bill won't be more than she's worth.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Please let us know how it turns out.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams