Colt Lightning
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Colt Lightning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt Lightning

I love old Colts proubably more than most guys do. But these guys have so much character and history about them who couldnt apreciate them. I finally got a brother for my 1877 Colt Lightning storekeeper .38 Long Colt. Its a 1877 Colt Thunder in a .41 Long Colt. It is beautiful no pitting and the blueing has turned to a nice brown patina. All the serial numbers match on both and they both work in single and double action. Its very rare to find these with the actions working. I am very pleased with them. Id like to put together a display case for them. But I want to shoot the .41 Thunder. The Lightning is 134 years old and a first year run. The thunder is 112 years old. The Thunder has Black rubber grips and the lightning has Rosewood grips. The first year they made serial number 1-3000 with rosewood grips mine is #149x. I paid Colts archive section $100 to letter the Lightning. Depending on the results when it comes I may letter the Thunder. Enjoy the pictures.................

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2739 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 1392

Simply Fantastic! Thank you for sharing the pictures. I am always intrigued with older weapons and only if they could tell the story of their life!

Old 09-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

They are both beauties, but the .41 has aged very gracefully.

Be Well.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Nice ole shooting irons.Thanks for posting.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Beautiful! Thanks for the pics.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #6

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Its pretty neat that you got a couple that function(that is rare). I've worked on many that did not function and parts are about impossible to find (most of the repo parts are junk)I've had to make many parts. I've always thought the early ones with the rosewood grips looked the best. Nice guns,enjoy them.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Its pretty neat that you got a couple that function(that is rare). I've worked on many that did not function and parts are about impossible to find (most of the repo parts are junk)I've had to make many parts. I've always thought the early ones with the rosewood grips looked the best. Nice guns,enjoy them.
What do you think about shooting the .41? I'm so worried about breaking the actions. Should I just leave it allown an appreciate them as collectors items?

Old 09-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Regularly shooting either would not be a good idea. Shoot the .41 a couple of times just to say you have shot it and put them both away. They are beautiful pieces of history and deserve respect.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #9

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

My thoughts on the matter are all guns were made to be shot. I have shot a great many guns made in the 1800's. I have shot many 1877 Colts. But the choice is yours. If the action is reasonably tight I would shoot it. But I know many collectors don't like the thought of people shooting original old guns. They say get a replica if you want to shoot. I'm not saying they don't have good points in that argument. It comes down to what you want to do. If you are going to worry about shooting yours, then that kinda takes all the fun out of it. If you are going to enjoy the thought of shooting a 100+ year old gun then shoot em. I've never had any harm come to any of the old guns I have shot. Some times harm came to my wallet as the ammo for some were quite high.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.