Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Revolver Handguns (
-   -   Colt Dragoon - Repro or Real (

dragoon43 03-18-2011 10:28 AM

Colt Dragoon - Repro or Real
5 Attachment(s)

I have recently come across what looks like a 3rd model Colt dragoon pistol with cutouts for the shoulder stock. Its in poor condition having been in a damp garage for a long time. I dont know if its real or a copy. It has "address Saml Colt New Y" the rest being hidden under the leaf sights. The sights consists of a lower one permanently erected and a higher one that folds up infront of the lower one. All the examples I have looked at show leaf sights that both fold flat. The pistol has matching numbers all the way through 16392. There is no evidence of having a Colt Trademark above the trigger guard. This is either a genuine piece thats been rusty or a good attempt to age a copy. I would be really pleased if you could give me any other details on how to spot a repro. I have attached a few photos, I know its not as good as holding the pistol yourself but would appreciate a few minutes of your time.

Best Regards,

Les Dickens.

Attachment 26478

Attachment 26479

Attachment 26480

Attachment 26481

Attachment 26482

Durangokid 03-18-2011 02:33 PM

It is not a 3rd mdl Dragoon. It is an 1860 Army Mdl. I can not tell for sure from your photos if its the real deal. From what I can see it looks like an orginal 1860 Army. The finish has had the steel brush treatment at some point. Anyway damn nice find.:D:)

dragoon43 03-19-2011 09:58 AM

Thanks for the info but I thought the Army had the shroud(dont know the real term) at the base of the barrel.

Hawg 03-19-2011 01:39 PM

It is a Dragoon. Whether it's the real deal or not I can't tell but it sure sounds like it. Serial number dates it to 1857.

Hawg 03-19-2011 01:56 PM

This is a 60 Army.

Durangokid 03-20-2011 05:58 AM

Thx Hawg boy I was sleep when I posted that one. The Kid has a red face behind his mask. You would think owning the Dragoons I would know better.:) How about a Walker pic. Hope this is correct.

dragoon 06-03-2011 05:58 PM

It's worth finding an expert, if it's real, it might be worth ALOT.

CA357 06-03-2011 06:17 PM

Try these guys: Welcome to The Colt Collectors Association official web site

and here:

rodent.22 07-24-2011 04:09 AM

After comparing several points of this gun to bona-fide Colt Dragoons pictured in Colt Single Action by Dennis Alder page 93 and 94, I believe your gun is a reproduction based on these visible differences- The loading lever is shaped differently where it goes from being turned round down at the hinge end. The top corners should be champhered, yours isn't. Your trigger is further forward of the rear of the trigger guard and has more curve and is tapered to a point, the real is more square. Your front grip strap has more curve than the real one, and the base of the grips appears shorter. I am by no means close to any sort of expert, only comparing excellent photos to the gun you have shown. I could be as wrong as right....:)