Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > It clicked for me today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5130 Times on 2672 Posts
Likes Given: 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1411 View Post
Unsafe three gun shoots in WI? I don't shoot three gun but I am curious what safety violations you've experienced. If you're willing to say where I would like to avoid these locations as well. Thank you
Mainly folks sweeping left right with a firearm while loading. While the ro are generally on it 3gun tends to bring out the young and dumb crowd who think safety is a old guy fuddy duddy thing.

Ive been on enough firing lines to witness unloaded guns going off in the wrong direction and all sorts of asshattery. So when the majority is the type that bring that stuff to the table i generally go somewhere else.

The group im cas'ing with is very safe and in no rush to get things done so time is taken to stage each shooter safely. One lady had two squibs and both were immediatly caught by the folks watching before she could damage her gun yesterday.

Im pretty picky about who is also using the range with me so if i think its not safe ill go somewhere else or come back another time. Ive no desire to catch bullets or shrapnel.

So i wouldnt say its a situation where the range is condoning unsafeness its more the people that are also doing that activity tend to be unsafe in nature. Its just a feeling i get based on long years of experience. I take shooting very serious as it is a very dangerous sport when taken lightly. Old man murphy is a damn fine shot and likes to always be sure you got ammo in your guns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hope to shoot CAS someday. I'll be using these Ubertis when I do. Just picked the nickel frame up the other day.

image-1710247271.jpg  
Old 05-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

nice!! i like the uberti pistols a lot they are very very very nice guns. what caliber are you using??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks, I am using 45 Colt. I like the flexibility it offers when hand loading.

Are you shooting 45 LC for CAS? Any favorite hand load recipes I should look into? Trailboss powder seems to be the go to CAS powder. I'm also interested in shooting some Goex rounds in the near future.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Yeah im using 45 colt. 200 grain flatpoint over 5.5 of trailboss. nice mild load. the 45 casings are easy as hell to find compaired to the 357 when your shooting rifle. they are also easier to manipulate on reload stages. the 357 guns the holes are small the cartridges small meaning finer motor skills needed to do reloads. im making my own bullets and using that lee alox as bullet lube seems to work great.

you do use less lead with the 357 bullets but its not that big a deal to me since im not losing my empties at a greater rate.

if you do use blackpowder your going to have to detail strip your guns everytime as that stuff gets into every teeny tiny small hole and crevice and so rust sets in from the salts.

i just dont like the headache of cleaning when it comes to using black powder.

HIGHLY recomend the uberti 1873 rifle. its a little more money at the getgo but you have to do far less to nothing to get it to run out of the box. by the time you fiddle with a rossi or marlin to get it to run with your loads reliably you tend to spend the same money in difference in price than just starting with a uberti. that was what i came to in a conclusion when i was researching what rifle to use. experiences watching others using the various rifles seems to bear it out.

go watch a match in your area and see who is having trouble with what gear.

some folks ive noticed tend to minmax a lot. but you dont have to go nuts on anything like shortstrokes or trigger jobs or fancy leather. just cover the basics because its going to take you a while before you get anywhere near the point where that sort of thing is going to matter to you.

ive done some stuff to my guns but its all minor easy to diy stuff. ive changed the grips on my rugers, removed the the lawyer locks, cleaned theaction on my rifle by removing internal burrs on the shell carrier replaced the sights stuff like that

Last edited by JonM; 05-12-2013 at 03:41 PM.