It clicked for me today

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > It clicked for me today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5655 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default It clicked for me today

a few months back i bought a pair of ruger new vaqueros in 45colt for CAS and ive been struggling to "get the hang" of shooting SA revolvers quickly and accurately.

in the match today i got about 3 or 4 stages in and something in my head went *CLICK* and all became clear. the sights disappeared the hammer trigger and my fingers became one. all i could see was the target and all i could hear was the rapid ringing of lead on steel as shot after shot went rapidly down range and on target.

it was like magic i couldnt miss and it was all smooth as a greased up liberal on his way to the government food stamp line!!

running the uberti 1873 became like butter as well during the match altho i wasnt having much issue with it the last little bits of hesitancy seem to evaporate.

one thing i did notice that made me soooo glad i got the uberti instead of the rossi or marlin. everyone with those was having nothing but issues. fail to feed mainly and fail to extract on some. i could see the difference in how rough those guns were running as their owners struggled to make them cycle.

another thing i noticed today as it was the first outdoor shoot ive been to. was how difficult it was for the peeps with the 357 mags to find their brass. the 45's were easy to spot but the thin 357's were difficult to find and those running that type tended to lose almost half their brass per stage. so im not convinced its "cheaper" or "easier" to run a 357 vs a 45 colt. brass costs more than lead and is harder to find in stock.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-12-2013 at 01:52 AM.
towboater Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 769 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Glad to hear the light went on. Now enjoy SASS. It is a great time with really nice people.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

towboater Likes This 
Old 05-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #3

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Cool. You were "in the zone." Very zen. Congratulations. Been there often -- almost out of body isn't it!? And an interesting aspect of the shooting sports. And new. I presume you got your badge number?

Enjoy and be safe...

Old 05-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

yeah i got the badge.

and it was very zen like. it all blended and was like i was shooting my xdm or berreta. revolvers have eluded me for years but i finally got the hang of em.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

towboater Likes This 
Old 05-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #5

Oh, have you been shooting SASS type shotgun and rifle for some time? How did this activity start and progress for you!?

Old 05-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Awesome. I'm glad it worked out for ya.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:09 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Oh, have you been shooting SASS type shotgun and rifle for some time? How did this activity start and progress for you!?
not too long. maaybe 4 monthsish or a scootch more.

got into it through a friend and most of the three gun groups around this area arent so.... safe. so sass was a natural fit. course i needed to get more guns. and thats never a bad thing.

never really been into revolvers or shotguns much or even lever guns. but i figure if i can run those well a more modern firearm is a snap especially since ive got a LOT of practice with those.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Unsafe three gun shoots in WI? I don't shoot three gun but I am curious what safety violations you've experienced. If you're willing to say where I would like to avoid these locations as well. Thank you

Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #9

Ya know, this reminded me of a guy my BIL and I knew. I didn't share it at first but many years ago now he shot a .45 Colt through the middle of his hand. I never was able to figure out how the hell he did that...

SASS seems to be as much of a lifestyle as anything else. I lost a reenactor acquaintence to it. He tried it with his two sons and we basically never saw this guy we spent many days a year with for many years ever again.

Enjoy and be safe!

Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Well now that you are doing well of course it will be more fun. And you know what that means? Spending lots and lots more money!! I know, I love CAS.

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.