Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Cleaning a revolver's barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #21
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6759 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samples.32 View Post
I clean a lot of guns for the gun shops, and I have found that OTIS has the best cleaning kits, they have flexible rods that can go from the breech, you just screw in your loop, apply a wet patch, run it through once, screw the brush into the other end, run it through 3-5 times, remove the brush, put a dry patch in, run it through twice, repeat until at least relatively clean , it works wonders, I am not sure why no one knows about them, I attached a link to the OTIS website.

Otis Technology
I have a Ruger GP100. I didn't see .38/.357 caliber listed in that link for the OTIS cleaning kit. Which would I use?

Old 04-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

WOC, the 9mm kit would be the one for your 38/357.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #23
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6759 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
WOC, the 9mm kit would be the one for your 38/357.
Thank you.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWard View Post
I'm familiar with the OTIS kits. They were issue items during my last deployment. I certainly have no complaints about them, but more than a few guys still used their bore snakes.

Vinegar and coffee filters, huh?

Yeah, it leaves you with a streak free shine I am debating doing vinegar commercials, so many uses Maybe a whole infomercial

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #25

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samples.32 View Post
I clean a lot of guns for the gun shops, and I have found that OTIS has the best cleaning kits, they have flexible rods that can go from the breech, you just screw in your loop, apply a wet patch, run it through once, screw the brush into the other end, run it through 3-5 times, remove the brush, put a dry patch in, run it through twice, repeat until at least relatively clean , it works wonders, I am not sure why no one knows about them, I attached a link to the OTIS website.

Otis Technology
+1 on OTIS cleaning kits, the next step up from a Bore snake in my opinion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Tie an old sock around the rear cylinder opening so that you don't jam it with the bore brush as it exits the barrel.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #27

I use the Otis System for cleaning all my guns. It just makes sense to me to pull everything the same direction as the bullet. Also compact enough to have in the field.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #28

Default Cleaning from the breech

I've been using the Otis cleaning kit for awhile now. It's a flexible cable that attaches to the brushes, jags, mops etc. Its a breeze to feed the cable through the forcing cone and pull thru. Check it out and make your own decision.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #29

Okay...I have some stupid questions that have probably been asked before...but in my defense, I am a novice here...

I have not shot my gun much, and I am a little financially strapped to afford a shooting club membership right now. But I want to be proficient and comfortable with my gun and its operations. I live in a rural suburb and it is a ways to get to an area where I can fire my gun without any worries.

Does any one have any suggestions on an economical way to get more shooting time in a relatively inexpensive way? Or is a range the only place to legally fire a live round?

I have a Ruger LCR .38, which I think can be dry fired but dry firing doesn't really offer much comfort in knowing how the gun will react when live rounds are fired.

Also, how often should I clean my gun? Like how many rounds should a put through the barrel before I need to clean it?

Thanks for any input

Prescribed Fire is Mother Nature's plastic surgeon.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTIMNOMORE View Post
Okay...I have some stupid questions that have probably been asked before...but in my defense, I am a novice here...

I have not shot my gun much, and I am a little financially strapped to afford a shooting club membership right now. But I want to be proficient and comfortable with my gun and its operations. I live in a rural suburb and it is a ways to get to an area where I can fire my gun without any worries.

Does any one have any suggestions on an economical way to get more shooting time in a relatively inexpensive way? Or is a range the only place to legally fire a live round?

I have a Ruger LCR .38, which I think can be dry fired but dry firing doesn't really offer much comfort in knowing how the gun will react when live rounds are fired.

Also, how often should I clean my gun? Like how many rounds should a put through the barrel before I need to clean it?

Thanks for any input

Check your state laws before listening to me, however, here in GA you have to be so many miles outside of city limits to shoot a gun, you cannot be shooting in the direction of houses and you have to be so far from an inhabited home. So, if you have a friend out in the country that is always an option.

Clean your gun everytime you shoot it, say you go to the range and shoot 3 rounds, go home and clean it, if you go to the range and shoot 50 go home and clean it, it's an excellent habit to develop.

Not all of us are trophy hunters.