Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Cleaning a revolver's barrel

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #21
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 22,421
Liked 6759 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samples.32 View Post
I clean a lot of guns for the gun shops, and I have found that OTIS has the best cleaning kits, they have flexible rods that can go from the breech, you just screw in your loop, apply a wet patch, run it through once, screw the brush into the other end, run it through 3-5 times, remove the brush, put a dry patch in, run it through twice, repeat until at least relatively clean , it works wonders, I am not sure why no one knows about them, I attached a link to the OTIS website.

Otis Technology
I have a Ruger GP100. I didn't see .38/.357 caliber listed in that link for the OTIS cleaning kit. Which would I use?
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gatoragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North GA. Back home in Dixieland.
Posts: 3,388
Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Default

WOC, the 9mm kit would be the one for your 38/357.

__________________
Gatoragn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #23
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 22,421
Liked 6759 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
WOC, the 9mm kit would be the one for your 38/357.
Thank you.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,282
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWard View Post
I'm familiar with the OTIS kits. They were issue items during my last deployment. I certainly have no complaints about them, but more than a few guys still used their bore snakes.

Vinegar and coffee filters, huh?

Yeah, it leaves you with a streak free shine I am debating doing vinegar commercials, so many uses Maybe a whole infomercial
__________________

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Samples.32 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IGETEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tornado \"Just Blow Me\" Alley,Oklahoma U.S.A.
Posts: 8,424
Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samples.32 View Post
I clean a lot of guns for the gun shops, and I have found that OTIS has the best cleaning kits, they have flexible rods that can go from the breech, you just screw in your loop, apply a wet patch, run it through once, screw the brush into the other end, run it through 3-5 times, remove the brush, put a dry patch in, run it through twice, repeat until at least relatively clean , it works wonders, I am not sure why no one knows about them, I attached a link to the OTIS website.

Otis Technology
+1 on OTIS cleaning kits, the next step up from a Bore snake in my opinion.
__________________
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
IGETEVEN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Johnny357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 174
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Tie an old sock around the rear cylinder opening so that you don't jam it with the bore brush as it exits the barrel.

__________________
Johnny357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
virtualjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Englewood,Colorado
Posts: 4
Default

I use the Otis System for cleaning all my guns. It just makes sense to me to pull everything the same direction as the bullet. Also compact enough to have in the field.

__________________
virtualjohn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Albuquerque,NM
Posts: 9
Default Cleaning from the breech

I've been using the Otis cleaning kit for awhile now. It's a flexible cable that attaches to the brushes, jags, mops etc. Its a breeze to feed the cable through the forcing cone and pull thru. Check it out and make your own decision.

__________________
Gadget is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ViNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma,USA
Posts: 322
Default

Okay...I have some stupid questions that have probably been asked before...but in my defense, I am a novice here...

I have not shot my gun much, and I am a little financially strapped to afford a shooting club membership right now. But I want to be proficient and comfortable with my gun and its operations. I live in a rural suburb and it is a ways to get to an area where I can fire my gun without any worries.

Does any one have any suggestions on an economical way to get more shooting time in a relatively inexpensive way? Or is a range the only place to legally fire a live round?

I have a Ruger LCR .38, which I think can be dry fired but dry firing doesn't really offer much comfort in knowing how the gun will react when live rounds are fired.

Also, how often should I clean my gun? Like how many rounds should a put through the barrel before I need to clean it?

Thanks for any input

__________________
ViNoM



Prescribed Fire is Mother Nature's plastic surgeon.
ViNoM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,282
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTIMNOMORE View Post
Okay...I have some stupid questions that have probably been asked before...but in my defense, I am a novice here...

I have not shot my gun much, and I am a little financially strapped to afford a shooting club membership right now. But I want to be proficient and comfortable with my gun and its operations. I live in a rural suburb and it is a ways to get to an area where I can fire my gun without any worries.

Does any one have any suggestions on an economical way to get more shooting time in a relatively inexpensive way? Or is a range the only place to legally fire a live round?

I have a Ruger LCR .38, which I think can be dry fired but dry firing doesn't really offer much comfort in knowing how the gun will react when live rounds are fired.

Also, how often should I clean my gun? Like how many rounds should a put through the barrel before I need to clean it?

Thanks for any input

Check your state laws before listening to me, however, here in GA you have to be so many miles outside of city limits to shoot a gun, you cannot be shooting in the direction of houses and you have to be so far from an inhabited home. So, if you have a friend out in the country that is always an option.

Clean your gun everytime you shoot it, say you go to the range and shoot 3 rounds, go home and clean it, if you go to the range and shoot 50 go home and clean it, it's an excellent habit to develop.
__________________

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Samples.32 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Pistol Cleaning - Jag or Loop on Cleaning Rod? bf109 General Handgun Discussion 28 05-10-2012 05:24 PM
Barrel Cleaning And The Muzzle rifleman55 Mini-14 Forum 0 01-25-2011 07:24 PM
Free cleaning rod guide for bull barrel 22s c3shooter .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 6 04-21-2009 07:34 PM
Need Help Cleaning Barrel !!! MEK37 General Rifle Discussion 16 09-24-2008 10:46 AM