Cleaning a revolver's barrel - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Cleaning a revolver's barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have used a Bore Snake on my .357 and it does wonders (the 9mm work fine on the 38sp/357).

Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it does not work you can always hit him with it.

-Boris the Blade, on guns.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I like bore snakes, but some people don't care for them at all. For a really good cleaning, I prefer a rod and brush followed by patches.

However, I use a bore snake on my Mini14 and my 10/22 because they're such a pain to clean with a rod. Everything else gets the rod and brush treatment.

I wet them down with solvent before I run them through the bore and they work fine.

Bore snakes are washable. I toss mine in the washer with gun rags and other stuff that's too nasty to wash in a regular load.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2730 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 267

1. Buy decent rod with a muzzle protector.

Tetra Gun ProSmith Universal Pistol Rod 900C. 900C. Tetra Gun Cleaning Rods, Tetra Gun Gun Vises.

2. Clean as required.

I've always found that the barrel was the least of my problems with revolvers. Getting all the crud out of all the nooks & crannies is way more trouble.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I have used a boresnake and a rod and brush from the business end. I like the boresnake. The hardest place to clean for me is at the breech end just above the breech between there and the top strap

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem."
Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1911-2004, 40th President of the United States of America

Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I've become a big fan of the bore snake.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I clean a lot of guns for the gun shops, and I have found that OTIS has the best cleaning kits, they have flexible rods that can go from the breech, you just screw in your loop, apply a wet patch, run it through once, screw the brush into the other end, run it through 3-5 times, remove the brush, put a dry patch in, run it through twice, repeat until at least relatively clean , it works wonders, I am not sure why no one knows about them, I attached a link to the OTIS website.

Otis Technology

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samples.32 View Post
I clean a lot of guns for the gun shops, and I have found that OTIS has the best cleaning kits, they have flexible rods that can go from the breech, you just screw in your loop, apply a wet patch, run it through once, screw the brush into the other end, run it through 3-5 times, remove the brush, put a dry patch in, run it through twice, repeat until at least relatively clean , it works wonders, I am not sure why no one knows about them, I attached a link to the OTIS website.
I'm sorry, but that is just Dead Frikkin Sexy right there! Do you clean windows too?

Imagine, a woman who will clean your guns for you; damn, i gotta develop some standards.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2419 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

As Samples stated. I like the OTIS Cleaning Kits for my pistols. Even though as mentioned if you have a rod and brush that will not damage the crown you are good to go. I have cleaned from the muzzle end for eons. But in the past five years only use the OTIS Kit on my pistols. Check them out on their website.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I'm sorry, but that is just Dead Frikkin Sexy right there! Do you clean windows too?

Imagine, a woman who will clean your guns for you; damn, i gotta develop some standards.

Yeah but I use vinegar and coffee filters for my windows

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'm familiar with the OTIS kits. They were issue items during my last deployment. I certainly have no complaints about them, but more than a few guys still used their bore snakes.

Vinegar and coffee filters, huh?

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.