Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Cleaning a revolver's barrel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/cleaning-revolvers-barrel-40621/)

ransom63 04-01-2011 03:04 AM

Cleaning a revolver's barrel

I've owned a couple revolvers for a little while now & have never been satisfied with the cleaning job on my barrels, not being able to work straight from the breech end. Just how can a get a bore brush through without going from the end of the barrel? This sounds amateurish, but I could use some answers here!

winds-of-change 04-01-2011 03:27 AM

I'm interested to see the answers here, too.

I am new to guns and own a revolver. I have been cleaning it from the muzzle end with a bore brush then cleaning patches. I am sure to push the brush all the way through then back. But I am very nervous about ruining the rifling in the barrel of my gun.

CA357 04-01-2011 03:53 AM

A bronze or brass brush will not hurt your barrel. Avoid stainless steel brushes and you'll be fine. There really aren't any alternative ways to clean from the breech end that I'm aware of other than a bore snake.

JonM 04-01-2011 04:18 AM

its time consuming but i just send the rod down sans brush screw the brush on and pull. repeat as needed. but i only got one revolver i shoot very infrequently

winds-of-change 04-01-2011 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 476990)
A bronze or brass brush will not hurt your barrel. Avoid stainless steel brushes and you'll be fine. There really aren't any alternative ways to clean from the breech end that I'm aware of other than a bore snake.

Does a bore snake clean it good enough? I thought I needed a brush, too. As I said, I don't want to ruin the rifling but as you've said, I shouldn't ruin it with a brass brush, which is what I have. Because my gun knowledge is so limited, I'm always afraid I'm going to make a mistake with handling my gun. I want it to last my lifetime........and my children's lifetime.......and I have a wonderful granddaughter, too. :D

danf_fl 04-01-2011 09:52 AM

Take a close look at a bore snake. There is a brush imbedded.

winds-of-change 04-01-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 477046)
Take a close look at a bore snake. There is a brush imbedded.

Ah, thank you. I didn't know that. I think I'm doing okay cleaning my gun but I may look into a bore snake. Are they reusable? Do you need to clean them?

danf_fl 04-01-2011 01:58 PM

I believe that the bore snake will come with instructions on how to maintain them. Good luck!

SilenceDogood 04-01-2011 02:14 PM

Chalk up another vote for Boresnake. They clean remarkably well.

SILENCE DOGOOD

spittinfire 04-01-2011 02:17 PM

I have never had an issue cleaning my revolvers from the muzzle. I'm careful to stay away from the crown and clean like I would any other weapon. If you are really concerned about the crown there are guides you can buy for a few dollars.