Cimarron Plinkerton Review
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Cimarron Plinkerton Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cimarron Plinkerton Review

Just came back from the range and wanted to give a review on the Cimarron Plinkerton .22LR SAA Revolver. I only fired 100 rounds thru it,but problems began from the very start. After a few rounds, I was having a hard time inserting the rounds into the cylinder. Infact, after 50 rounds- one of the chambers became obstructed with grime and I could not put a round into it. So now its a 5 shot revolver. Also, the cylinder from time to time would hang up and not cycle. Maybe due to the cartridges not being fully seated. Then I was getting alot of misfires. Sometimes the unfired cartridge did not have a firing pin mark on it. I would have to cycle it back around and then it fired. Now the ammo was sort of old (federal wildcat), but I fired it in my rifle and never really had a problem with it. Accuracy was Okay. At 10 yards, I was all over the target, but it was all in the black (mostly). For $200 you get what you pay for. This revolver is marketed as a plinking gun and ONLY a plinking gun. So I knew what I was purchasing. The accuracy was not dissapointing to me, it was everything else that bothered me alittle. But maybe I need to break it in and change the ammo (will see). This gun comes with a .22 magnum cylinder but Im not sure if I want to shoot the magnum round. But, the gun was still fun too shoot and for $200 - what can you really expect. I give this revolver a Grade C

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For 200$, I'd save from there & buy a used Ruger super Single Six when I had the money saved up. THEN you'd have a gun that would shoot better & be dead reliable.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #3

+1 on the Ruger Single Six!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Plasticman. I just had a Cimarron Plinkster offered to me on trade for my .22 rifle. I had never heard of this model revolver, but your review has been helpful in my decision NOT to trade. I already have an older 3 screw Ruger Single Six .22/.22 Mag combo and it is all a person could want in a quality .22 revolver.

I wish I was half as smart as my dog thinks I am.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:50 PM   #5

Howdy,
I guess I have been lucky. I bought a Plinkerton last summer and have not had a problem with it. It has smoothed out in the action and the accuracy has been acceptable for a fixed sight single action. I have put about 500 rounds through it and am happy with it especially for the price. I paid $175 for mine. Good luck with yours. Have a goodun!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #6

I own a Cimarron Plinkerton 22/22Mag and I have not had any problems at all. To the contrary it is an impressive six shooter as far as I am concerned. Comparing it to the Ruger, I just can't tell any difference. I use Remington ammo and it has never mis-fired. I also like the weight. When you hold it, you feel like you holding "a gun in your hand". I would buy another one if I could find one at Academy Sports, but they sell them the day they arrive.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I love my Ruger Single Six combo. I also have a Heritage Rough Rider combo.

The Heritage is a great shooter, the spring broke after a few hundred rounds, easy fix.

The Ruger has thousands of rounds through it and I expect my great grandkids will still be shooting it.

Both guns group much better with 22 mag. I saw the Cimmaron recently at a lgs feels good in the hand, was thinking of buying it. Now I'm not sure. I hope to hear more reviews.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #8

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAWPA View Post
I own a Cimarron Plinkerton 22/22Mag and I have not had any problems at all. To the contrary it is an impressive six shooter as far as I am concerned.
Quote:
Comparing it to the Ruger, I just can't tell any difference.
I use Remington ammo and it has never mis-fired. I also like the weight. When you hold it, you feel like you holding "a gun in your hand". I would buy another one if I could find one at Academy Sports, but they sell them the day they arrive.
Seriously?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

.22 lr ammo - I was taught (yeah, taught) that you find the ammo your .22 loves then buy a bunch of the same case lot numbers.

I have numerous .22's and that philosophy seems to work. What may seem great in one is a POS in another.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

fbksak Likes This