Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Cimarron Plinkerton Review (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/cimarron-plinkerton-review-13677/)

plasticman 05-08-2009 11:45 PM

Cimarron Plinkerton Review

Just came back from the range and wanted to give a review on the Cimarron Plinkerton .22LR SAA Revolver. I only fired 100 rounds thru it,but problems began from the very start. After a few rounds, I was having a hard time inserting the rounds into the cylinder. Infact, after 50 rounds- one of the chambers became obstructed with grime and I could not put a round into it. So now its a 5 shot revolver. Also, the cylinder from time to time would hang up and not cycle. Maybe due to the cartridges not being fully seated. Then I was getting alot of misfires. Sometimes the unfired cartridge did not have a firing pin mark on it. I would have to cycle it back around and then it fired. Now the ammo was sort of old (federal wildcat), but I fired it in my rifle and never really had a problem with it. Accuracy was Okay. At 10 yards, I was all over the target, but it was all in the black (mostly). For $200 you get what you pay for. This revolver is marketed as a plinking gun and ONLY a plinking gun. So I knew what I was purchasing. The accuracy was not dissapointing to me, it was everything else that bothered me alittle. But maybe I need to break it in and change the ammo (will see). This gun comes with a .22 magnum cylinder but Im not sure if I want to shoot the magnum round. But, the gun was still fun too shoot and for $200 - what can you really expect. I give this revolver a Grade C :o

stalkingbear 05-16-2009 02:26 PM

For 200$, I'd save from there & buy a used Ruger super Single Six when I had the money saved up. THEN you'd have a gun that would shoot better & be dead reliable.

Water-Man 05-29-2009 06:55 PM

+1 on the Ruger Single Six!

tallyman 11-29-2011 04:44 PM

Thanks Plasticman. I just had a Cimarron Plinkster offered to me on trade for my .22 rifle. I had never heard of this model revolver, but your review has been helpful in my decision NOT to trade. I already have an older 3 screw Ruger Single Six .22/.22 Mag combo and it is all a person could want in a quality .22 revolver.

Howdy 11-29-2011 11:50 PM

Howdy,
I guess I have been lucky. I bought a Plinkerton last summer and have not had a problem with it. It has smoothed out in the action and the accuracy has been acceptable for a fixed sight single action. I have put about 500 rounds through it and am happy with it especially for the price. I paid $175 for mine. Good luck with yours. Have a goodun!!!!!!

APAWPA 03-03-2012 01:09 AM

I own a Cimarron Plinkerton 22/22Mag and I have not had any problems at all. To the contrary it is an impressive six shooter as far as I am concerned. Comparing it to the Ruger, I just can't tell any difference. I use Remington ammo and it has never mis-fired. I also like the weight. When you hold it, you feel like you holding "a gun in your hand". I would buy another one if I could find one at Academy Sports, but they sell them the day they arrive.

mcb 03-03-2012 04:04 PM

I love my Ruger Single Six combo. I also have a Heritage Rough Rider combo.

The Heritage is a great shooter, the spring broke after a few hundred rounds, easy fix.

The Ruger has thousands of rounds through it and I expect my great grandkids will still be shooting it.

Both guns group much better with 22 mag. I saw the Cimmaron recently at a lgs feels good in the hand, was thinking of buying it. Now I'm not sure. I hope to hear more reviews.

HOSSFLY 03-03-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APAWPA (Post 726962)
I own a Cimarron Plinkerton 22/22Mag and I have not had any problems at all. To the contrary it is an impressive six shooter as far as I am concerned.
Quote:

Comparing it to the Ruger, I just can't tell any difference.
I use Remington ammo and it has never mis-fired. I also like the weight. When you hold it, you feel like you holding "a gun in your hand". I would buy another one if I could find one at Academy Sports, but they sell them the day they arrive.

Seriously? :confused:

danf_fl 03-03-2012 08:16 PM

.22 lr ammo - I was taught (yeah, taught) that you find the ammo your .22 loves then buy a bunch of the same case lot numbers.

I have numerous .22's and that philosophy seems to work. What may seem great in one is a POS in another.