Chiappa Rhino - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Chiappa Rhino

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Well you were not around in the early 1960s or you have forgotten the principles claimed by the company. There were many new now lost improvements in firearms prior to 1968.
I was born in '65 so no, I was not "around" then (at least not around firearms). But I have heard of the Dardick pistol. Never actually seen one, let alone fired one. Seems to me as though the totally unconventional cartridge was the cause of its demise, not necessarily its appearance.

The Rhino seems to me to look unconventional, but if the thing shoots well I can't imagine that it will go the way of the Dardick. If it does than perhaps it would be due to its cost and quality.

If it weren't terribly expensive I would consider it.

If all of those were truly improvements then why are they not incorporated into modern guns?

Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Not every improvement is lasting or a hit in the market place. Who knows if improvements were always accepted we would be driving "Edsels".
big shrek Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #23

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I've seen them at gun shows.

I would love to own one, and I actually think they are awesome, not ugly.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #24

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

I was born in '65 so no, I was not "around" then (at least not around firearms). But I have heard of the Dardick pistol. Never actually seen one, let alone fired one. Seems to me as though the totally unconventional cartridge was the cause of its demise, not necessarily its appearance.

The Rhino seems to me to look unconventional, but if the thing shoots well I can't imagine that it will go the way of the Dardick. If it does than perhaps it would be due to its cost and quality.

If it weren't terribly expensive I would consider it.

If all of those were truly improvements then why are they not incorporated into modern guns?
Comparing the rhino and the dardick is like apples and potatoes. They are both unusual revolvers, but that's where the similarities end.
Both are neat guns in their own right, but they are not similar.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
Comparing the rhino and the dardick is like apples and potatoes. They are both unusual revolvers, but that's where the similarities end.
Both are neat guns in their own right, but they are not similar.
I agree. I actually like the look of the Rhino. Plus the design seems like a substantial improvement. As far as looks are concerned I think it looks exotic, not ugly. Not true of the Dardick.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #26
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 194 Posts

I went the website to see what one looks like. They have cutaway view of the action.

What the hay?!?! I count at least 14 moving parts in the action. The venerable S&W K-frame action has 7.

Way back in Engineering school, an old prof told us, "The probability of failure of any mechanism is a cubic function of the number if moving parts." Not sure if he was right, but he wasn't the kind to spout off unfounded facts. And, it jives well with the axiom of, "Keep it simple stupid".

Assuming that the quality, fit, finish, and the metallurgy are equal: If the old prof was right, the probability of failure is eight times as high on the Rhino as the S&W K-frame. Which is a highly critical characteristic in a weapon.

p.s. It looks like a typical Italian design: way too much style, instead of form following function.
nitestalker Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #27
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Rhino

This would prob. be the only/last full sized Wheel gun!! I have read a bit about it and i like the concept!!!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...