Chiappa Rhino? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Chiappa Rhino?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windlestick
Don't think a company like Smith or Ruger will make one anytime soon. They are too different from the established normalcy for these companies. It's too bad because the engineering is pretty revolutionary.
Anybody know the patents or limitations on the Rhino design?

Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #12

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Id really like one chrome with wood grips if they made one in 44 mag.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
The ones I've seen are a lot of money for something that looks kinda cheap. Just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
Unfortunately, seems a little pricey for what it is. Cool concept though. When it's copied at better price point I can see myself getting one.
It has a lot to do with the type of aluminum alloy used to make the receiver and the frame of the Rhino, as well as the entire process method Chiappa chose to manufacturer the revolver.

Chiappa produces the Rhino with a particular alloy, Ergal™, a trade name for 7075-T651 HCS. The Coltalloy™ used by Colt for the Lightweight Commander is also produced with 7075, although with a slight variation in their metallurgy recipe to make their own proprietary alloy. Similarly, S&W has a trade secret recipe for 7075 aluminum with the addition of scandium. The cost of this alloy material is not cheap, being the highest tensile strength aluminum available to manufacturers. The high-price of the firearms for making Colt's Coltalloy, S&W's scandium, and Chiappa's Ergal (or basically 7075) simply reflects the high-production costs.

The other factor in being expensive is the manufacturing process specific to Chiappa when it comes to the Rhino revolver. The frame and receiver of the Rhino are made through CNC, unlike S&W's method of quality forging or Ruger's durable casting of heavy parts. While CNC has the advantage of creating more easily the small and complicated parts necessary to actuate the internal hammer of the Rhino, it costs a lot more because the wasted excess shavings from the single block billet of Ergal alloy after being CNC'd can only be sold for scrap metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windlestick View Post
Anybody know the patents or limitations on the Rhino design?

US Patent #: 7523578
Inventor: Emilio Ghisoni
Date Issued: April 28, 2009
Abstract: A revolver that has firing means arranged so as to substantially raise the resting point of the middle finger of the hand on the handle

US design patents are protected for a term of 14 years from the date issued, so that would make Ghisoni's patent of the Rhino design exclusive to Chiappa until 2023.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #14

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatoriNoir View Post
It has a lot to do with the type of aluminum alloy used to make the receiver and the frame of the Rhino, as well as the entire process method Chiappa chose to manufacturer the revolver.

Chiappa produces the Rhino with a particular alloy, Ergal™, a trade name for 7075-T651 HCS. The Coltalloy™ used by Colt for the Lightweight Commander is also produced with 7075, although with a slight variation in their metallurgy recipe to make their own proprietary alloy. Similarly, S&W has a trade secret recipe for 7075 aluminum with the addition of scandium. The cost of this alloy material is not cheap, being the highest tensile strength aluminum available to manufacturers. The high-price of the firearms for making Colt's Coltalloy, S&W's scandium, and Chiappa's Ergal (or basically 7075) simply reflects the high-production costs.

The other factor in being expensive is the manufacturing process specific to Chiappa when it comes to the Rhino revolver. The frame and receiver of the Rhino are made through CNC, unlike S&W's method of quality forging or Ruger's durable casting of heavy parts. While CNC has the advantage of creating more easily the small and complicated parts necessary to actuate the internal hammer of the Rhino, it costs a lot more because the wasted excess shavings from the single block billet of Ergal alloy after being CNC'd can only be sold for scrap metal.

Abstract: A revolver that has firing means arranged so as to substantially raise the resting point of the middle finger of the hand on the handle

US design patents are protected for a term of 14 years from the date issued, so that would make Ghisoni's patent of the Rhino design exclusive to Chiappa until 2023.
Thank you for that!...very informative post! Sign in the 'Introduction' area...we like firearm knowlege...it's our thing

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #15

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 31

if s&w made it cost would be 2000 dollars.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatoriNoir

Thanks. I'm fascinated by this design and have read lots about Ghisoni and MATEBA but wasn't sure how long this design was Chiappas. I appreciate your help.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windlestick View Post
Don't think a company like Smith or Ruger will make one anytime soon. They are too different from the established normalcy for these companies. It's too bad because the engineering is pretty revolutionary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
if s&w made it cost would be 2000 dollars.
Remember when Taurus introduced the Judge? Despite having critical reception and being different than the established revolver, the popularity in sales caused S&W to follow suit with an higher quality copy known as the Governor. Notably, this scandium framed version by S&W certainly costs a pretty penny for a snubnosed alloy revolver, in fact just as costly as a Chiappa Rhino.

If S&W ever went through with making their own version of the Rhino design, we won't see it for another decade until the patent expires (if by then Chiappa is still in business or if there is still any interest in the Rhino). A forged Rhino with a scandium frame would produce a spectacularly high quality revolver, a $2000 price tag might not be far off.

Another thing to note is that the CNC process does not produce the same perceived quality as say, the forged process used by S&W. While traditional forging produces tightly packed surfaces, due to the method of CNC cutting away at a single block of metal, the surface and edges are sharper and less compact than forging. That's why in the hand, the Rhino lacks the "dehorned" and smooth deluxeness so to speak seen in a S&W.

Edit: You bring up a great point Windlestick, I don't know if Chiappa actually paid for a contracted amount of time for licensed exclusivity of the Rhino's patent, or if they are now the sole proprietor of the design now that Ghisoni has passed away.

Last edited by SatoriNoir; 10-26-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #18

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The Rhino might be more popular if they focused on more functional designs. For most hunters a 6" barrel just doesn't cut it. Then 357 is the largest caliber they appear to produce. The rhino would be a tough sell in my neck of the woods or any part of the woods for that matter. The design would be great for large bear and moose but they don't build a gun that anyone would hunt with.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #19

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns
I like the idea, and I agree with JonM. If someone like S&W made them I'd be first in line.
Check that. You will be second in line. I already pitched my tent by the front door.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #20

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

I haven't dont a lot of research on them. What's the average price? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking op?

I've heard the 357 mag shoots with the recoil of a 9mm. I don't have much experience with revolvers other than my friends s&w mp snubby. It doesn't bother me at all to shoot. I would just like smooth recoil for faster follow up shots.