Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Checkered wood and t-grips for a j-frame (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/checkered-wood-t-grips-j-frame-97536/)

magnumman 09-24-2013 04:20 AM

Checkered wood and t-grips for a j-frame

I have had my s&w 442 for a couple of years and really like the gun. It came with the rubber uncle mikes boot grips. They are fairly comfortable in hand. However I just placed an order for some "classic" wood grips on midway. not only do I like the look of wood grips on a revolver, I also think the smaller grips will make the gun better for cc since they do not grab clothing and are smaller than my boot grips. I know they won't do anything for recoil but then again this gun is going to be snappy with any grips that I put on it.

I have also been looking at Tyler t- grips as well. They seem like they could help with control. I am planning on trying it without the t-grips before I spend the money on them. Have any of you gone this route with your snub? If so, let me know what your thoughts are on this set up.

headhunter 09-24-2013 04:42 AM

I own a couple of J frames . The 3" .357 , I've been content with the factory grip. The 63 an old 4" wears a pair of Pachmier(sp?)"gripper" grips with the finger grooves and they work well for hunting and not badly when I pressed it into use for shooting targets. My 36 wears a pair of Herritt -I think they were called "shooting stars" that extend the grip about 3/4" beyond the frame, These wooden grips get you on target faster and do reduce the recoil. They are a bit harder to hide ,but the effort is worth it..

John_Deer 09-24-2013 04:47 AM

Wood grips can help with recoil. If you grip the pistol properly (70% weak 30% strong) it should rock in your hand so you can easily cock the gun. When you pull back on the hammer the gun will return to a shooting position.

JW357 09-24-2013 05:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Subbing for pics later on. I also, am a big fan of wood grips on wheel guns. However, my S&W 66 wears Pachmayer grips, simply for recoil absorption. Also, they were $10 and I don't yet feel like shelling out $90 ish for a nice set of wood grips.

Here's my current grip setup.

Attachment 119809

magnumman 09-24-2013 05:30 AM

Well they are on back order until ~10/16 so pics won't be up for a little while. These are actually a laminate grips that look to have a veneer and walnut finish. They are factory replacements. The main reason that I jumped on them is that they are 28 bucks.

At my lgs, they have a box of grips, mags, and holsters that people gave them with trade-ins. You can usually get whatever you want for $10. They haven't had any j frame grips with the s&w medallion since I have been goin there so I decided to order something.

John_Deer 09-25-2013 04:58 PM

Usually I can find the wood grips I want for $35 or less.

mountainman13 09-25-2013 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I always keep the original grips but they come off as soon as I purchase.
If I'm looking for wood I go to numrich. They carry originals.

John_Deer 09-27-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1382899)
I always keep the original grips but they come off as soon as I purchase.
If I'm looking for wood I go to numrich. They carry originals.

I usually find nice factory grips for ruger revolvers at numrich. It's like when a gun maker quits making a grip numrich ends up with all the left over grips.

Donn 09-27-2013 11:38 AM

The stock wood grips on my Model 36 look great and conceal well. That said, they're miserable to shoot. Have a T-Grip on order myself. In the meantime, got a set of boot grips for the J. They're not any longer, but are a little thicker and make shooting a lot less painful.

magnumman 09-27-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn
The stock wood grips on my Model 36 look great and conceal well. That said, they're miserable to shoot. Have a T-Grip on order myself. In the meantime, got a set of boot grips for the J. They're not any longer, but are a little thicker and make shooting a lot less painful.

Let me know how your your dealings with Tyler end up. I know that there are reports all Over the Internet of problems after management change. Those seem to be from a couple of years ago.