Charter Arms Undercover Lite
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Charter Arms Undercover Lite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default Charter Arms Undercover Lite

So the wife wants to carry now and in doing some internet searching she found the Charter Arms Undercover Lite .38 in purple but hey it will be her first gun. I'm not a fan of the color but was wondering if anyone has any experience with this model and whether or not it has been a good purchase?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2972 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 330

I have an older (late 80s) Undercover (non-lite). It's been fine. I don't know how recoil sensitive your wife is, but I'd see if the steel models would work for her. I find alloy framed .38s to be harsher than necessary. The steel ones aren't really that heavy. YMMV.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 02-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I have an older (late 80s) Undercover (non-lite). It's been fine. I don't know how recoil sensitive your wife is, but I'd see if the steel models would work for her. I find alloy framed .38s to be harsher than necessary. The steel ones aren't really that heavy. YMMV.
She's very recoil sensitive. Thanks.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #4

This is an old undercover and a 44 Bulldog target and I have an off duty in my jeep that is almost the same size as the undercover.
I don't know why but they shoot better after a few beers. I love them...and the guns too.

009.jpg  

Old 02-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
She's very recoil sensitive. Thanks.
The light snubbies don't do much to absorb recoil. You may want to investigate that situation before you commit to buy in light of the wife's recoil sensitivity.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9171 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

As said, the ultra lites are gonna kick like the dickens- all other things being equal, lighter gun will recoil more. See about anything with Hogue or Pachmyr rubber grips- they do a great job of soaking up recoil, give you a better grip.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #7

Liked 267 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Unless your wife love abuse do not buy here anything ultra light. beside you spend the money but let her make the call as to what she wants to carry. Just try to give her the chance to shot as many is you can. I have a ultra light charter AND it is not a fun revoler to shoot hotter defence loads in and +P loads s*ck. Only pistol that is almost as rough to shoot is a KT pf-9. Try to let her shoot a few mid weight 38's or a bersa thunder or ppk in 380 or small 9mm at a indoor range as most have rentals there. Even a compact 9mm might be easier her her to control. My kahr cm9 is surely more controlable than a 13oz or lighter revolver no matter the brand name.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

We don't have rentals here unfortunately. She doesn't like the Bersa or the Walther but she saw the P290 and wants to go check that out now. So I'm hoping she'll stick to that instead of some of these "cute guns" (her words not mine). If she doesn't like the 290 we are going to check out the CM9 and the LC9. Can't complain though she's coming around to my way of thinking when it comes to carrying! Can't beat that.

Member:

Old 03-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Remember you can always start her off shooting target loads (Wadcutters). they are usually a couple of hundred feet per second slower than defense loads. Let her work up to something stronger at her speed.

My wife who is all of 5'1" and 100 pounds has them in her charter arms undercover and there are a couple of snakes that won't make the same mistake of hissing at her again

Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #10

My wife has been carrying a S&W 37 in her car for about 35 years until I put it in my safe and gave her the 38 Charter to carry in her car. It's not something you would want to shoot everyday for target. The grips will blister your hands. Years ago when the S&W model 66 first came out, I got one to shoot targets with. After the first day I put some rubber grips on it. I was shooting 357's and it's rough on your hands. CCW carry...we all carry KelTec 380's. They are good guns and the price is right.