Charter Arms/snub won't open easily
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Charter Arms/snub won't open easily

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Charter Arms/snub won't open easily

I press the cylinder release and it takes a little push to get the cylinder to open for load/unload, inspection, etc. Gun is clean/excellant condition otherwise. Does it have something to do with the yoke alignment? This is one of my concealed favorites. It's not +P rated but is a good shooter SA/DA, 2", blue. I just want it back 100% again, asap. Thanks in advance for helpful and/or well intentioned advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The best way to fix it is to take it and trade it on something else. They also tend to have timing problems. That's how I fixed the problems I had the with the one I had.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Is the ejector rod tightly screwed in? If it is, then follow Glass's advice and pick up something like a S&W J frame or a Ruger SP101.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #4

Default Charter arms snub

Since posting my tread a few minutes ago, I'm seeing that the advice you gave me is probably pretty darn good. Only thing, I've had this gun so long, it's paid for and it works flawlessly, well, until the cylinder hangup. I've not had any timing problems and it shoots very straight 15yards. I did shoot a S&W snub, looked alot like my Charter Arms, yesterday, and I was wishing that I had a Smith instead. Although in the Charter's defense, it still is a very decent gun to shoot. Nah, thanks for the trade in advice, it's sound but, I am going to see if someone on our thread can give me some basic gunsmith advice to see if I can fix it myself

Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

on your other post you said you had to tap to release the cylinder. were you tapping the latch or the cylinder. also does it have the exposed ejector rod(no barrel shroud)

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 06-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #6

Liked 723 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Sounds like the cylinder release is not moving far enough. Check the release itself to see if crud got in there to keep it from moving its full range. If your model has a front end lock(on barrel) then maybe the ejector rod is slightly unscrewed(which makes it to long).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8952 Times on 3877 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Read the answer I left on yer other post.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #8

Default Charter Arms cylinder

I'm tapping the cylinder, actually pushing with fingertips and it pops open. I've examed a few minutes ago, looks as if the release is not pushing the cylinder "rod" enough to allow easy opening. I have to push release button down and forward with more pressure than it should require. Is there a adj. screw located just below firing pin hole, where the rod tip seats itself?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #9

My buddy gave me a Charter Arms like yours. Seems to work fine mechanically, but I havent fired it yet. What would +P ammo do to the gun? I got a box of the hornady for it, and Id hate to have wasted my money without checking first.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8952 Times on 3877 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

The Charter is an OK handgun. Not a S&W, not a Colt, but not a total piece of junk either. A now-and-again cylinder of +P is not going to hurt your revolver (your hand, maybe). A steady diet of +P will speed up wear, and parts will get loose, etc.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.