Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Charter Arms/snub won't open easily (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/charter-arms-snub-wont-open-easily-44085/)

paul 06-19-2011 07:59 PM

Charter Arms/snub won't open easily

I press the cylinder release and it takes a little push to get the cylinder to open for load/unload, inspection, etc. Gun is clean/excellant condition otherwise. Does it have something to do with the yoke alignment? This is one of my concealed favorites. It's not +P rated but is a good shooter SA/DA, 2", blue. I just want it back 100% again, asap. Thanks in advance for helpful and/or well intentioned advice. :)

Glasshartt 06-19-2011 08:02 PM

The best way to fix it is to take it and trade it on something else. They also tend to have timing problems. That's how I fixed the problems I had the with the one I had.

CA357 06-19-2011 08:06 PM

Is the ejector rod tightly screwed in? If it is, then follow Glass's advice and pick up something like a S&W J frame or a Ruger SP101.

paul 06-19-2011 08:13 PM

Charter arms snub

Since posting my tread a few minutes ago, I'm seeing that the advice you gave me is probably pretty darn good. Only thing, I've had this gun so long, it's paid for and it works flawlessly, well, until the cylinder hangup. I've not had any timing problems and it shoots very straight 15yards. I did shoot a S&W snub, looked alot like my Charter Arms, yesterday, and I was wishing that I had a Smith instead. Although in the Charter's defense, it still is a very decent gun to shoot. Nah, thanks for the trade in advice, it's sound but, I am going to see if someone on our thread can give me some basic gunsmith advice to see if I can fix it myself :)

moonpie 06-19-2011 10:13 PM

on your other post you said you had to tap to release the cylinder. were you tapping the latch or the cylinder. also does it have the exposed ejector rod(no barrel shroud)

hiwall 06-19-2011 10:31 PM

Sounds like the cylinder release is not moving far enough. Check the release itself to see if crud got in there to keep it from moving its full range. If your model has a front end lock(on barrel) then maybe the ejector rod is slightly unscrewed(which makes it to long).

c3shooter 06-19-2011 10:59 PM

Read the answer I left on yer other post.

paul 06-19-2011 10:59 PM

Charter Arms cylinder

I'm tapping the cylinder, actually pushing with fingertips and it pops open. I've examed a few minutes ago, looks as if the release is not pushing the cylinder "rod" enough to allow easy opening. I have to push release button down and forward with more pressure than it should require. Is there a adj. screw located just below firing pin hole, where the rod tip seats itself?:confused:

franklin67 06-25-2011 08:47 AM

My buddy gave me a Charter Arms like yours. Seems to work fine mechanically, but I havent fired it yet. What would +P ammo do to the gun? I got a box of the hornady for it, and Id hate to have wasted my money without checking first.

c3shooter 06-25-2011 12:56 PM

The Charter is an OK handgun. Not a S&W, not a Colt, but not a total piece of junk either. A now-and-again cylinder of +P is not going to hurt your revolver (your hand, maybe). A steady diet of +P will speed up wear, and parts will get loose, etc.