Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Charter Arms Patriot .327 Magnum Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Charter Arms Patriot .327 Magnum Problems

I picked up a Charter Arms model 73270 Patriot .327 magnum with a 2.2" barrel. It's a real hand canon and fun to shoot but, I can't carry it because I had problems right out of the box:

1. Shot way low.
  2. I had light primer strikes not strong enough to ignite the primer.
  3. Some spent casings would not eject from the cylinder, locking up the ejector rod.

I sent the pistol back to Charter. They filed down the front sight and it is on target now. They said no problems with light primer strikes or ejection (LOL).

I was using Speer Gold Dot ammo the first time out so I switched to Federal with brass casings. I fired 30 rounds with about 10 not firing on the first strike, double action.

I discovered it shoots fine when cocked first. The light strike problems occur when I fire it double action.

I am going to send it back to Charter again but I want to give them some direction (since they can't fix it on their own). My guess is the trigger bar needs adjusting. Anyone had a similar experience with a revolver or suggestions to fix this fun but "totally unreliable" pistol?
patriot_327magnum.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you shot any 32 S&W Longs or Shorts in it (or 32 H&R Magnums)? I shoot 32 S&W Longs for practice in my Ruger .32, and perhaps if you run a few boxes through it the problems will start going away--sometimes a gun just needs to be shot in with a few hundred rounds. (although that's not usually the case with a revolver, it certainly helps break-in the trigger and smooth things out).

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 01-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman View Post
I picked up a Charter Arms model 73270 Patriot .327 magnum with a 2.2" barrel. It's a real hand canon and fun to shoot but, I can't carry it because I had problems right out of the box:
  1. Shot way low.
  2. I had light primer strikes not strong enough to ignite the primer.
  3. Some spent casings would not eject from the cylinder, locking up the ejector rod.

I sent the pistol back to Charter. They filed down the front sight and it is on target now. They said no problems with light primer strikes or ejection (LOL).

I was using Speer Gold Dot ammo the first time out so I switched to Federal with brass casings. I fired 30 rounds with about 10 not firing on the first strike, double action.

I discovered it shoots fine when cocked first. The light strike problems occur when I fire it double action.

I am going to send it back to Charter again but I want to give them some direction (since they can't fix it on their own). My guess is the trigger bar needs adjusting. Anyone had a similar experience with a revolver or suggestions to fix this fun but "totally unreliable" pistol?
Not to be insulting, really, but you usually get what you pay for, there is a reason why Charter Arms, Taurus, and the like are price lower that Smith & Wesson or Ruger, they are generally of lower quality.

Now I know that I'm going to end up offending someone, but the truth is not always good news.

As a guy who's carried guns for a living, and repaired them for almost as long, I have had a lot of experience with guns that don't work.
Usually, Smiths, Rugers, Colts, most Dan Wessons and a few foreign makes that have a problem can usually be corrected quikly and without much fuss, but others like Charter Arms, Taurus, that are made more inexpensively, or those guns made in third world countries are made with softer steels that depend on heat treatments of their internal parts to resist wear, and who's tolerances are not consistent because they use dies and tools past their accuracy wear times tend to have more than one problem at a time, those problems can often transfer to others parts, so finding one fault doesn't always solve the big problem.

I like many shooters have owned such guns, I've had two Charter Arms snubbies, and a Taurus mod.92, all three gave me numerous problems until I finally got shed of them, those guns are ok for someone who just wants to shoots pop cans with, or keep in the night stand to scare off an intruder with, but when you buy a gun for self defense you have to ask yourself what your life is worth, I think the answer will be "What ever it takes", I say your life is worth more that the couple of hundred bucks difference in the cost of a good gun, and marginal one.

A Charter Arms snubbie is what, $350.00 new, a high quality S&W 642 costs $450.00new in most gun shops, to my thinking, having a gun that I can depend on is well worth the hundred dollar difference.

Like I said, no offense intended, but were I you, I'd try to get my money back or a store credit from Charter Arms, but what ever, I'd buy another gun, likey a Smith or Ruger, and quikly.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe M. View Post
Not to be insulting, really, but you usually get what you pay for, there is a reason why Charter Arms, Taurus, and the like are price lower that Smith & Wesson or Ruger, they are generally of lower quality.

Now I know that I'm going to end up offending someone, but the truth is not always good news.

As a guy who's carried guns for a living, and repaired them for almost as long, I have had a lot of experience with guns that don't work.
Usually, Smiths, Rugers, Colts, most Dan Wessons and a few foreign makes that have a problem can usually be corrected quikly and without much fuss, but others like Charter Arms, Taurus, that are made more inexpensively, or those guns made in third world countries are made with softer steels that depend on heat treatments of their internal parts to resist wear, and who's tolerances are not consistent because they use dies and tools past their accuracy wear times tend to have more than one problem at a time, those problems can often transfer to others parts, so finding one fault doesn't always solve the big problem.

I like many shooters have owned such guns, I've had two Charter Arms snubbies, and a Taurus mod.92, all three gave me numerous problems until I finally got shed of them, those guns are ok for someone who just wants to shoots pop cans with, or keep in the night stand to scare off an intruder with, but when you buy a gun for self defense you have to ask yourself what your life is worth, I think the answer will be "What ever it takes", I say your life is worth more that the couple of hundred bucks difference in the cost of a good gun, and marginal one.

A Charter Arms snubbie is what, $350.00 new, a high quality S&W 642 costs $450.00new in most gun shops, to my thinking, having a gun that I can depend on is well worth the hundred dollar difference.

Like I said, no offense intended, but were I you, I'd try to get my money back or a store credit from Charter Arms, but what ever, I'd buy another gun, likey a Smith or Ruger, and quikly.
No offense taken. My other pistols are S&W, Springfield, Stoeger and FNH. I have also sold off all my low end guns - Taurus, Keltec, etc.

I bought this gun on a lark after hearing a great review on a guns and ammo radio show. I wish I hadn't bought this one at all since I won't sell it to anyone without fully disclosing the problems.

"No matter how many cheap guns I buy, and no matter how many problems I have with them compared to my well manufactured guns, I always seem to buy just . . . one more."

Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I bought a similar revolver a year ago.The Taurus 327,and had problems right away,cylinder got way out of time.I sent it back,Taurus fixed it and it's a pretty neat shooter now.I love the 327 round,a real blast,but I also run 32 shorts,longs,magnums and such through it with no further problems.At the time I bought it,only Ruger made a 327,and since I already had the SP101 in 357,didn't really want two.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

ask taurus repair to replace the firing pin and spring.

you can also try sending them some of the ammo your having trouble with, but it will have to be a seperate package.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?